Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Quick questions on Eircom Fibre (FTTC)

Options
  • 04-06-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Q1: In the FAQ it states "You will always need a minimum of one spare power socket within one meter of the NTU (Installation Point) inside the entrance to your property."

Why is that required when it is still just the same copper wire coming into the house as before?

Q2: And what's this all about?
    In some instances it will be possible to deliver the service over your existing telephone line without any disruption.
    However, in some circumstances it may be necessary to run a new cable into your property. If this is the case, the technician will advise you what the options are when they come to install the Fibre Broadband. One of these option may involve some external digging and/or drilling of walls required to get the line into your property.

Under what circumstances exactly would they have to dig up the footpath and my driveway and drill holes in the wall of my house?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

An NTU is fibre...you need t opower this wall unit so it can breakout to copper CAT5 cable.

If the copper is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    An NTU is fibre...you need to power this wall unit so it can breakout to copper CAT5 cable.

If the copper is crap.

Thanks Sponge Bob but, sorry, I still don't get it. (not having a good day). My understanding of FTTC is that the fibre only goes to the cabinet and not the house so the incoming line to the house from the cabinet is just the same copper as before - not as good as FTTH. So, what use is a fibre NTU wall unit at all at that stage?

A small number of premises get fibre in the door and most keep the same copper as before. A number need copper replacement after problems are found with the old copper.

The FAQ covers either eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Thanks again Sponge Bob. A friend of mine has made enquiries to tech support and was informed that a power socket beside the point where the phone line comes into the house is not essential (for FTTC anyway).

Well it sort of is. If you get a copper drop you need to plug in an ADSL or VDSL modem. If fibre you need to plug in an ethernet switch of some sort.

These distribute the BB, both wired and wireless, around the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement