Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levels of stress, panicking etc

• 04-06-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

A lot of people I know are having full on breakdowns over the Leaving Cert, have many of you found that happening?

I think I must be the only person who's calm right now. I mean, it's not life or death, and as long as you've studied then you're grand. But really, is there anyone else out there who's looking at this positively or am I deluded? :')

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I've been calm all year.
    Now two days before my exams start I realise how little preparation I've done in comparison to others.
    I'm not panicking, but I'm quite ashamed of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I think I am. I've taken what people have said about it not being the end of the world too seriously. I'm just not worried really.

Of course I have moments of panic where I go on mad rants, but they only last a few hours, then I'm back to not caring. I'd much rather be breaking down, and properly cramming. All I'm doing is some light reading :(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Eathrin wrote: »
    I've been calm all year.
    Now two days before my exams start I realise how little preparation I've done in comparison to others.
    I'm not panicking, but I'm quite ashamed of myself.

Similar to you! That said I'd say it will kick in more after the LC ends, and definitely when I get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭anBoMor

Instead of guilt, I'm just completely apathetic :c I don't even care anymore. I want my 4th choice at this stage, Arts in UCD. There's a 200 point difference between it and my top choice in Trinity.
    Em, no thanks.
    I'd literally need four A1s and a few Bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I'm calm. Nothing to be stressed over if you've prepared. Only thing I worry over is project Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I haven't really been stressing out about anything not as much as last year where I realised I didn't know anything and studied from May properly doing nothing all year round. I've stopped writing out tons of answers I'm just reading them over and over again trying to memorise them.
    I'm just not letting any kind of pressure or stress or worries get to me and just focusing on getting the results. Even though it's my second time. I've done a fair few things all year round started properly in April. I just know if I freak out or get nervous it'll just reflect on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I'm too calm for comfort which doesn't really make sense. I feel quite good about the amount of work I've done and as you said, it's not the end of the world whatsoever. That's in ~6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I was completely calm for a very long time, too calm. I'm not so calm anymore, I'm ****ting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm cool as **** right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I thought that I'd be one of the people having breakdowns throughout the year and during orals, but I've been fairly calm so far. Well, apart from one panic attack a few weeks ago :o My stomach is starting to tie itself in knots though, and I can't remember anything that I'm trying to study :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that I'm going into my worst paper on Wednesday (if not Irish Paper 2) and throughout most of the year I've put a decent amount of work into English but not into Paper 1... I still don't what composition to do! But apart from that I'm not really worried at all :) Once I'm finished with French I'll be delighted, it's just Physics and Applied Maths from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Wesc. wrote: »
    The only thing that slightly bothers me is that I'm going into my worst paper on Wednesday (if not Irish Paper 2) and throughout most of the year I've put a decent amount of work into English but not into Paper 1... I still don't what composition to do! But apart from that I'm not really worried at all :) Once I'm finished with French I'll be delighted, it's just Physics and Applied Maths from then on.

Sorry to hijack the thread but have you any advice on applied maths that you think might be helpful? I picked up the subject recently and haven't really gotten my hands dirty in it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Wesc. wrote: »
    Same here, short story is definitely out though as I have no imagination:pac:

I'm not going to lie, since posting I've managed to wind myself up :L feel like I might puke now..
    I'm fluent in Spanish and an A1 student in English, I just need to pass everything else for UCD Arts. This fact still isn't calming me down.
    Wehhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I've done a decent amount of study at Christmas, mock time and May onwards ..
    I'm quite nervous mostly because a) I still have to learn geo-ecology and Brazil in geography off by heart b)I'm terrible at coming up with structured answers in English in a short amount of time (despite that I'm usually a B1/A2 student for english) and c I'm terrified something I havent covered in either geo or english paper 2 will come up :(
    I should be nervous for next week because I have ALOT of cramming to do but I havent even thought that far ahead yet... If everything goes excellent this week then Ill be in such a good spirit for next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Much like the JC, I've done very little work.

However, the week before the JC, my 15 year old conscious kicked in and I crammed like a badass MF.

This week, meh.

I find myself in a situation where I've pretty much abandoned some subjects ("psssh....I won't need to count French...."), and gambling on others ("Oisin i dTir na nOg - I'd put my house on it...").

I never thought I'd be doing this, but life goes on. I've actually been too afraid to look at this forum for the last few weeks! Don't know why. I think its what they call denial.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Mortified. I've studied, but I'm just thinking of everything that could possibly go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

just remember lads

its not the be all and end all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I'm not really stressed.... at all.

I haven't put too much effort into study. (read; f*** all)
    I can't see the point in stressing over it. Two years from now, most wont even remember the grades they got. Life will go on, regardless of how well or how crap you do.

As one of our classmates put it in our grad speech,
    "These points do not determine the rest of our lives. They can make the journey easier, yes, but if you want it bad enough, you will reach your destination."

I might have a different perspective to most though. I dropped out in last year in 5th, was sick of "the system" & how everyone made it out to be the be-all, end-all for your future (among other reasons..) I didn't want to spend 3 years doing a course for the sake of it, when there was no course that interested me at the time. I changed school, going into 6th even though I missed practically all of 5th. The time I missed really changed my perspective on the Leaving Cert.

I'm not advocating dropping out, or doing feck all, but I think you should do your best & que sera...sera! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I've actually been really laid back all year, only starting to worry a little now but sure

Few naggins, be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Few naggins, be grand

amen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Wanchor wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but have you any advice on applied maths that you think might be helpful? I picked up the subject recently and haven't really gotten my hands dirty in it yet.

Erm, perhaps this is a bad place to ask :P Are you in 6th year? If so, drop me a PM if you want, if you're in 5th, I promise I'll give you tons of advice after the leaving cert! Don't have loads of time at the moment and thinking of cutting my boards usage over the next 2 weeks!

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Few naggins, be grand

Rules to live by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'm not too worried. I think I have done more study than most people heading into my course would have (Arts in NUIG). I'm not saying people just go into arts for the sake of getting into college, but a lot of lazy people do put it down in a "ah sure I dunno what I want to do, I'll pick arts." I'm also praying that there is a higher demand for arts courses in Dublin.

Need to go up from 290 to 340 and I've put the work in so yeah, not too worried. Bit scared for English and German but except from them I think it'll be okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i'm repeating and i'm pretty laid back on one hand but on the other i keep thinking "oh crap i'm gonna do worse than last year cos i've been even lazier with study this year"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

The nerves kicked in a little today and I'm sure that this time tomorrow I'll be ****ting it. I just keep going through the worst case scenarios in my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Shítting it. To put it in basic terms.

Advertisement