Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2012

Options
  • 04-06-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Microsoft's press conference can be seen here: http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conferences/ if anyone is interested. Or you could download the event player on the dashboard.

Halo 4 is the opener :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I don't usually watch things like this but I'm liking the live event player. Will tune in for some halo!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Unfortunately, there are only programs to show when each conference starts, not what's on and when in each conference.

A conference time guide in on the side on the ign page: ie.ign.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well that was woeful.

Why cant MS do what they are good* at and leave gaming alone

*Yeah i cant figure out what they are good at either:D

That was easily one of MS's worst E3s, for me anyway.

They gave black ops more time than halo 4 and Gears of war judgement combined (more or less). Something wrong there if you ask me.

And that Usher or whatever his name is performance was utter ****e. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ugh no last year was a trainwreck remember the disney kids?
    *shivers*

• Advertisement

I wish they brought skittles back :(

Well they must be doing something right, they said it was the highest selling console in the world in 2011.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Well they must be doing something right, they said it was the highest selling console in the world in 2011.

Nope the ps3 beat it

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88490/2011-year-on-year-sales-and-market-share-update-to-november-12th/

rUCq7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

first time poster here, Have to agree the games line up was unoriginal, no new ideas in gaming just recycled shooters imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Halo 4 and Tomb Raider looked good. Tomb Raider looked like it is played at a faster pace or maybe I just play it wrong.

80% of the tomb raider demo was of lara getting the crap kicked out of her by trees, falls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Jeez not a great E3 for Microsoft imo, Tomb Raider looks good, when I saw they were giving Crystal Dynamics a spot I was hoping for news of a Legacy of Kain reboot anyways we live in hope.

Strange them keeping quiet on the NextBox but sure why kill the golden goose when its still laying eggs.

Res Evil 6 looks good but I am still a bit wary after 5.

The South Park game looks like a laugh to me

The "end of generation" E3 shows are generally pretty quiet.
    And 360 has been beating PS3 since February: http://www.geekwire.com/2012/xbox-360-tops-wii-ps3-1st-time-yearly-global-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

360 has been beating ps3 since the slim was launched HOWEVER, that didnt stop this press conference from being abysmal.

Highlight for me was splinter cell and thats not even a 1st party. No interest in COD or Halo or a browser (I have dozens of ways to get online already I dont need another) or tv apps only the US will get etc.

As the years roll on I honestly find myself thinking if I will stay with MS for the next console gen. In all honesty PS3 seems more games focused, whether thats a lack of ability to spread into the entertainment space is another thing but right now they seem to be an actual brand thats focused on games rather than trying to maximize cash by pushing into everything else with the console.

NB - NOT fanboy fodder, lets not devolve into that yeah? Just a 360 owners opinion and contrast between two companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Ahhh I still miss the old original style of splinter cells.. new ones are just not as good

CBA with a browser either

Love a bita halo goin on too

-=al=- wrote: »
    Ahhh I still miss the old original style of splinter cells.. new ones are just not as good

CBA with a browser either

Love a bita halo goin on too
    Conviction was awesome, but I agree with you for the previous two on this Generation

I would say half of the time I spend on the xbox involves other stuff apart from games (sky, 4od, twitter, netflix etc) therefore the move towards an all round entertainment machine suits me down to the ground.

Me too actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not strictly E3 related but news all the same

http://majornelson.com/
    · Internet Explorer for Xbox. This is something you’ve been asking for, and we waited until we could deliver a web browser experience truly optimized for the TV. You’ll be able to easily find and view the internet content you crave on the best screen in the house. And, with the power of Kinect and Xbox SmartGlass, you’ll able to navigate websites with any device or the sound of your voice.

· Favorites. This is another request we’ve heard frequently. Favorites allows you to personalize the dashboard by saving your movies, TV, games, music and the web right to the home screen in the dashboard. Favorites will make it easier and faster than ever to get to your favorite content on Xbox and Xbox LIVE.

Those were the big two I noticed but the full post is worth a read for other new stuff

• Advertisement

I noticed the "Pin to dashboard" option on the demo alright, that will probably come with the Fall update.
    I have to admit that new dashboard looks a lot more like how the current dash should, there is far to much wasted space on the current one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Notwen wrote:
    Xbox SmartGlass. This is a brand new Xbox innovation that makes your entertainment smarter, more interactive and more fun – across the devices you already own. It makes your tablet or your phone more intuitive, so if you are watching a movie or playing a game on Xbox 360, relevant content will automatically appear on your SmartGlass device. Imagine having the ability to pick your plays from your tablet instead of the TV screen during an intense game of “Madden,” keeping your next move a surprise to your opponent. Imagine meeting up with a boss in “Ascend” and seeing all the necessary details appear on your phone to help defeat it. Or, turn your favorite tablet or phone into a great remote control for your Xbox console. We’re excited to make all this possible for you and more.

This could be very interesting, if more than just Microsoft Studios games make use of it. Trying to get in before the Wii-U and do the same job.

The potential problems are:
    1. The Wii-U will have a definite screen size, and developers can optimize their 'extra screen' content for that size.
    2. If I'm correct, the Wii-U will definitely have one of these controllers, and therefore developers can bank on the user having one of these.
    3. As SmartGlass can run on iOS, Windows 8, WinPhone 7 and Android on devices with different screen sizes, processors, etc. It can't really be used for any time critical items - because it could work better on iPhone 5 / Galaxy SIII than it would on a 3Gs.
    4. Also, developers can't bank on the user even having a smart phone or tablet, so how much effort should they put into developing the SmartGlass content?

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I would say half of the time I spend on the xbox involves other stuff apart from games (sky, 4od, twitter, netflix etc) therefore the move towards an all round entertainment machine suits me down to the ground.

Its really becoming a jack of all traits but master of none because of this lack of focus. I can understand from a business POV why they want to get it as the center of the house, it fits in perfect with MS as a whole company in terms of integrating smartphones , tables, home comps and games consoles... all MS sold products or affiliates.

The issue however is outside the home computing arena they dont seem to be the very best and clear choice at any one item, I had a wp7 handset for a year and recently went back to android. To be frank the propsition was great on paper to begin with but in practice after 12 months it just wasnt as good as the competition. The xbox looks like its headed the same way for me, the have lost sight of the base that xbox built its name on. Gamers are now second class citizens in terms of company focus where as Sony seem to be filling that void more and more.

This late in the cycle I wont change as it wouldnt make much sense now but they are eroding the gamers confidence and faith in their machine and brand at a time when they need to be solidifying this. Next year we will likely see MS and Sony putting fourth their argumets as to why you should buy their system and for the last two years running MS have basically told hardcore gamers we are not what they deem the corner stone any more. Its a miscalculation to set that tone with gamers right before they want to try and convince those very same people to invest next year.

Hardcore are the early adopters and the promoters of a new system.. in short the ones they are going to rely heavily on come 2013 / 2014 and with all this casual stuff coupled with lack of hardcore items they really are digging themselves into a hole.

For a company as big as MS with as much money as MS its unforgivable. They have more than enough rescourses and cash to focus on both casual entertainment as well as hardcore without having to divert recourses from one to the other.

They started out all hardcore and the gamers console but grew into this - jack of all traits master of none - company and tbh I feel a little betrayed and dooped as a hardcore gamer. Like the line from farrenheit 9/11 said , when you betray those you rely on how will you ever get them to help you in the future when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I liked the look of Matter even though we didn't see any gameplay. At first I thought it was a new Portal game. I also like the idea of smartglass, time will tell how well it performs.

I still think xbox is for the hardcore gamer. Yes it has all new features like all entertainment on the xbox, but that's the way of the future. All other platforms will copy eventually. Ok playstation has God of War, infamous, Uncharted but xbox has a few exclusives as well. Also Playsation must pay alot to keep them titles exclusive, as a studio would make way more(obviously) when sold across multi platform.

Meesared wrote: »
    Conviction was awesome, but I agree with you for the previous two on this Generation

Yeah conviction wasn't bad, I just miss the tension of the sneaky bits in the first few, I remember playing Chaos Theory trying to sneak past without shooting anyone and it's pretty much impossible... I didn't mind it but it's gotten even further away from the originals with the new one, now Sam can send in missiles from the sky ffs

Yeah conviction wasn't bad, I just miss the tension of the sneaky bits in the first few, I remember playing Chaos Theory trying to sneak past without shooting anyone and it's pretty much impossible... I didn't mind it but it's gotten even further away from the originals with the new one, now Sam can send in missiles from the sky ffs
    There is an explanation for that in fairness :p

Meesared wrote: »
    There is an explanation for that in fairness :p

I'm still not avin' it!

Sure remember the was almost impossible missions in the old ones where you couldn't even be seen for the whole level, those were the good ole days

I re-played all the old games before chaos theory came out, twas just not expected at the time, now he's sending in missiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't understand why people complaining about free extras coming to the xbox whilst they are taking nothing away.

Also, regarding games....it's software development companies that make them not Microsoft!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm still not avin' it!

Sure remember the was almost impossible missions in the old ones where you couldn't even be seen for the whole level, those were the good ole days

I re-played all the old games before chaos theory came out, twas just not expected at the time, now he's sending in missiles!

Splinter Cell died after Chaos Theory. CT is still the best SC imo. I'm replaying the HD collection on the PS3 and it's still great.

Conviction was 24 the game, featuring Sam Fisher as Jack Bauer. Good game but not SC.

This new one is like a re-boot. Ironside is gone. Sam should be 57-58 and ready for retirement but he now looks 37 and sounds 27. Third Echelon is gone and Sam has set up Fourth Echelon and he is running it while still getting his hands dirty on the front line. The least they could have done was to make Sam the new Lambert and create a new hero to replace Sam, like Archer from the co-op story modes.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people complaining about free extras coming to the xbox whilst they are taking nothing away.

Also, regarding games....it's software development companies that make them not Microsoft!

Taking nothing away? Are you serious, for the last 3 years MS have basically told gamers for F off. They have given up on 1st party exclusives at this point but wait.... smart glass is a fair trade off RIGHT? What we got was another gears game that no one asked for so soon and the same with forza. The only one I can justify is halo and thats it.

They looked at Wii and wanted some of that cash, the developed kinect and took all their time and money away from the business of making games for their own machine. Now they look at the likes of apple with apple tv and want to push in on that market too all at the sake of the hardcore gamer who they built their brand upon.

Lets get real, they suckered us in as being the top online and gamers choice console and once they had our cash locked in they did a total 180 and now want to be casual for the sake of a short term buck. Im seriously considering a ps3 at this point. Look at their line up of exclusives. Read any blogs from any gaming site and you'll see any analysts agree MS has abandoned gamers and Sony is now the one focued on games these days.

I just finished watching IW on gametrailers day 1 round up and they hit the nail so squarely on the head , I would def advise taking to 30 mins or so and have a watch....

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-special-invisible-walls/731158

Advertisement