Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gait analysis?

Options
  • 04-06-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Where is the best place to get gait analysis done in town?

I have bought trainers in John Buckley before but would like somewhere they measure my gait more accurately.

Anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

upstairs in Mahers , Maylor street.
    Opposite Smyths toys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I got mine done in Glanmire foot clinic, Groupon were doing it for twenty one euro, you just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Footworks on the Grand Parade next to Fitzgerald's electrical do it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Owen wrote: »
    Footworks on the Grand Parade next to Fitzgerald's electrical do it AFAIK.[/Quote

I think that might be foot solutions Owen. But I agree good place . Also most physios will offer this . Perhaps you need to look at orthotics . I was fitted for them years ago and find them brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

horgan_p wrote: »
    upstairs in Mahers , Maylor street.
    Opposite Smyths toys.

do not go to that guy, I've been to him in his place in Carrigaline, he will sell you orthotics whether you need them or not. He will also try sell orthotics to your entire family also! Seriously, steer clear.

OP, what makes you think you need Gait Analysis done? An experienced runner could be able to look at your feet and suggest the right running shoe for you. John Buckley Sports is a good starting point, he knows his stuff.

I can honestly talk about this area with the benefit of hindsight, just beware, when it comes to Gait analysis and orthotics the enture field is full of cowboys and different (often conflicting) theories.

UPDATE: Sorry, I see you already went to John Buckleys. Did John not look at your feet? Bear in mind any sort of Gait analysis and treatment could be negated by the supportive properties of the runners you have just bought. This is the thing, I bet not one place doing gait analysis with the intention of selling you custom made orthotics (€300+) will ask you about the type of shoe you are currently wearing. And this is important because orthotics are only effective when prescribed with the type of shoe you are wearing them with.

PM me if you want more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

The Edge Sports store in North Main street did it for me. They have a treadmill with cameras and slow it down and play it back for you.

Not sure how scientific it is though!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

Thanks guys.

Went to John Buckly and got Asics which were great initially and then the shoes wore down so went back to him and got another pair and now I feel I need to get gait analysis done because my feet are starting to get sore again and my toes are getting numb and tingly when I run.

Feel that when I went to JB the second time the guy didnt really pay much attention to how my feet were.Stand on one foot,then the other and 5 mins later off I go with my new shoes!

I just rang The Edge and they told me to bring the shoes I am running in with me when I go down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I find Nike Air Pegasus great.Asics squeeze my toes also. Maybe nike fit is wider at the top of the foot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

A gait scan should be to fit you for orthotics I thought. Surely any shoe shop can fit shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

The Edge on North Main St. They also have a larger store on the Kinsale Rd. Roundabout behind Petstop. They've never steered me wrong :D

Took up running before xmas and was getting awful pain in my knees, they did a gait analysis and it turns out I was landing incorrectly in the inside of my foot. Bought a nice pair of Nike trainers from them with built in support to stop my foot 'rolling over' and have been fine since :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    The Edge on North Main St. They also have a larger store on the Kinsale Rd. Roundabout behind Petstop. They've never steered me wrong :D

Took up running before xmas and was getting awful pain in my knees, they did a gait analysis and it turns out I was landing incorrectly in the inside of my foot. Bought a nice pair of Nike trainers from them with built in support to stop my foot 'rolling over' and have been fine since :D

this is my point, you bought a pair of shoes with proper support and it sorted you out. Now imagine paying €300 for custom orthotics and putting them into those runners:eek:

My point is a lot of people doing orthotics don't care about the type of shoes you are wearing, they just want to make money.

Advertisement