Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

body wash or lotion with salicylic acid??

• 04-06-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So i suffer from Keratosis pilaris, a skin condition that leaves bumpy red marks on my arms and upper legs. This is no cure but apparently lotions and exfoliants with high concentration of salicylic acid or BHA can help massively. Can anyone recommend anything??? I have been recommended Paula's Choice products but they are wicked expensive and shipping is ridiculous! Any help is appreciated! Thanks :)

-nursemar88

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Check Iherb.com, standard shipping is pretty cheap and takes a week for delivery. I use them for tea tree products and a quick search onsalicylic acid throws up numerous products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I suffer from it too and I'm currently using NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash. It's glycolic acid and lactobionic acid instead of salicylic acid but does the same job. I use it three times a week and really notice how bad it can get if I forget to use it for a while.

Alternatively (or in conjunction with the above) you can use the NeoStrata Glycolic Lotion. The wash can sometimes be a little drying if you use it too often so you can break it up a bit by using this lotion on the days you're not using the wash. I've found with these two products it depends on the person, and you need to see what works best for your skin. You can use them both up to twice daily if you like but that might be a bit much (and expensive!). They're both under €25 as far as I remember.

You can get NeoStrata in a lot of good pharmacies, and there's a list here of all the ones in Cork.

NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash

NeoStrata Glycolic Body Lotion

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

I use exfoliating gloves and amlactin. Both of which seem to be helping. The side of my knees are stubborn though.

I bought the amlactin on amazon.

I did read about putting Vaseline on the affected areas before showering but haven't tried that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Check Iherb.com, standard shipping is pretty cheap and takes a week for delivery. I use them for tea tree products and a quick search onsalicylic acid throws up numerous products.
    Thanks, I had a quick look. They only seem to have a face wash, from what I can see. I'd go through that way to quickly unfortunately. :rolleyes:
    Alicat wrote: »
    I suffer from it too and I'm currently using NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash. It's glycolic acid and lactobionic acid instead of salicylic acid but does the same job. I use it three times a week and really notice how bad it can get if I forget to use it for a while.

Alternatively (or in conjunction with the above) you can use the NeoStrata Glycolic Lotion. The wash can sometimes be a little drying if you use it too often so you can break it up a bit by using this lotion on the days you're not using the wash. I've found with these two products it depends on the person, and you need to see what works best for your skin. You can use them both up to twice daily if you like but that might be a bit much (and expensive!). They're both under €25 as far as I remember.

You can get NeoStrata in a lot of good pharmacies, and there's a list here of all the ones in Cork.

NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash

NeoStrata Glycolic Body Lotion
    Thank you, I will can into my local pharmacy and check these out. I was hoping for salicylic acid based one, just because i have heard they are better but I will definitely look into these ones. Thanks :)
    I use exfoliating gloves and amlactin. Both of which seem to be helping. The side of my knees are stubborn though.

I bought the amlactin on amazon.

I did read about putting Vaseline on the affected areas before showering but haven't tried that yet.
    I have tried the exfoliating and moisturizer but it has never help. I have never heard of amlactin though. Was it very expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Ive always had Keratosis on my upper arms but recently started getting it on my lower legs- gaa!

I've been using a Salux cloth (japenese cloth) every time I shower and then when I can be bothered Ive been putting on Kiehls body lotion (this is really nice). I've noticed a huge improvement especially on my legs. I think its probably the Salux cloth- these are pretty cheap when you buy them online!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

My goodness, everyone seems to be very educated when it comes to their acids - can you please tell me what the difference is between glycolic and salicylic acids? I also suffer from this condition and using the exfoliating gloves seems to work well on my legs. The upper arms are more difficult; I find that if I use Eucerin 10% Urea lotion/cream on the area twice a day it makes a big difference.

Advertisement