Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of English answers.

• 04-06-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

How long is everyone planning their answers to be? I'm not sure what to be doing at all. I was thinking 3/4 of a page for P1 Q1 A (i) and (ii) then a page for (iii). 2 Pages for B. About 5 for the essay. What about paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Thats exactly the same as I do. Hamlet I aim for about 3/3 and a half. Poetry 4-5 and Comparative 5. Unseen Poetry 3/4 of a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Paper 1 (a) parts about a page each
    (b) part around 2/2 and a half
    Essay around 7 pages :/
    Hamlet about 6
    Comparative about 6
    Poetry around 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

poetry 4
    comparative 5
    Hamlet 3-4
    unseen poetry 1.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have written down from the teacher that we need 5 for the comparative and 3/4 of a page per poem for the poetry so that looks about right
    Thanks

Im prepared for paper 1 but I'm going mad over paper 2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm not ready at all for English. :rolleyes: I actually feel fúcked right now.

Usually I do:
    • Comprehension (A)- 4 Pages
    • Comprehension (B)- 2.5-3 Pages
    • Essay- 5-5.5 Pages
    • Comparative- 6-6.5 Pages
    • Hamlet- 4.5-5 Pages
    • Poetry- 4-4.5 Pages
    • Unseen- 1 Page

• Advertisement

The absolute worst thing is im such a slow writer. I'm usually good at creative writing but I don't get things finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Mine should be something like this:

Paper 1

A: 3/4 of a page for the 15 mark questions, 1page for the 20 mark questions
    B: 2 and a half pages
    Essay: An absolute minimum of 4 normal A4 pages, I did just over 7 in the exam booklet last year

Paper 2:

Hamlet: 4 or 5 pages
    Comparative: 6 or 7 pages
    Poetry: 4 or 5 pages
    Unseen Poetry: 1 page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Unseen Poetry: 1 page
    Poetry: 4-5 Pages
    Hamlet: 4-5 Pages
    Comparative: 6+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm not to fussed about lengths just more about answering the question correct.
    I'm not sure how long paper 1 answers will be.
    Paper 2 possibly
    Hamlet - 2/3
    Poetry - 2/3
    Comparative - 4/5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Comprehension qst 1/2 1.5 pages each
    Qst 3 2 pages
    B part 2 pages plus
    Essay 5 pages

Hamlet 5 pages
    Comparative 6 pages
    Poery 4-5 pages
    Unseen poetry 1 -1.5 pages

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't get hung up on what length an answer should be. The main thing is to address the question.

GarIT wrote: »
    The absolute worst thing is im such a slow writer. I'm usually good at creative writing but I don't get things finished.

That's what's so stupid about the LC, a lot of subjects test how fast someone is at doing something and not how good they are at the actual subject. A change is needed.

*COUGH*Continuous assessment*COUGH*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I usually go for

comprehension (a) - 4pages
    b-3 or 3 and a half
    essay 6

Hamlet 5 or 5 and a half
    Comparative 7 and a half/8
    Poetry 5
    Unseen 2 to 2 and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I can imagine the state this forum would fall into with continuous assessment...no thank you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Martin_94 wrote: »
    That's what's so stupid about the LC, a lot of subjects test how fast someone is at doing something and not how good they are at the actual subject. A change is needed.

History -.- Most unreasonable exam ever, ugh

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I can imagine the state this forum would fall into with continuous assessment...no thank you :pac:

Procrastination all year round, not just in June. :D

Namlub wrote: »
    History -.- Most unreasonable exam ever, ugh

Geography
    English
    Business

In countries where they have continuous assessment some people have commented that it is just a test of how active someone is. Someone who is putting in effort but has a learning disability will easily outscore a procrastinating genius.

I think 50% of the requirements should be aptitude tests. 25% Cont. assessment and 25% written or typed exams. I would also agree with colleges allowing a scaling dificulty on points for different courses i.e. If you are doing Computer Science an A1 in Maths is 200 points an A1 in physics is 150 points and an A1 in art, music, biology or English is 50 points. Then the opposite would apply for a marketing degree.

Geography
    English
    Business

Do you do history? The business exam is a walk in the park by comparison.

Someone who is putting in effort but has a learning disability will easily outscore a procrastinating genius.

Yeah but the same applies with the way it is now, and so what, If someone with a learning difficulty can overcome it and easily outscore a genius well done to him/her.
    I would also agree with colleges allowing a scaling dificulty on points for different courses i.e. If you are doing Computer Science an A1 in Maths is 200 points an A1 in physics is 150 points and an A1 in art, music, biology or English is 50 points. Then the opposite would apply for a marketing degree.

I agree that for a computer course you should get an extra 25 points for maths, and for an English Course an extra 25 points for English etc......but I don't think it's fair to downscale every other subject.

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    Do you do history? The business exam is a walk in the park by comparison.

I wasn't denying that it was. :) I was just saying that those exams were difficult for timing too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

It's all about answering the question, not having a bloody 20 page essay. In fairness an essay, be it hamlet,composition,comparative or whatever, that deals with the question at hand will be 4-5 pages. If you answer the question then you will be fine.

To those complaining about history, yeah you've to do 3 essays and basically a comprehension. But just read the question & you can do perfect essays that deal with the questions that are 3-4 pages. It's not a lot if you know your stuff & are able to answer the question to be fair (which is what the exam is testing).

People make essays out to be harder than they are, just answer the question & it'll be fine.

You can be able to the essays in history, but you better not think, stop, hesitate or breathe while you try. Dropped your pen? Too bad, wave goodbye to your college place if you planned to count history. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

You can be able to the essays in history, but you better not think, stop, hesitate or breathe while you try. Dropped your pen? Too bad, wave goodbye to your college place if you planned to count history. :pac:

Make sure you don't do what I did and spend half the exam thinking

WHHHYYY did I do History???

:cool:

The sad bit is I will, I think it every day, I think it even more every second I spend trying to study the damn subject :')

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Gway out of that. I know your joking but cmon it's not that bad. Thinking about the way you'll answer a question is vital rather than regurgitating a load of learnt off paragraphs or sentences. There's plenty of time to formulate an answer on the spot. Its just getting used to thinking under pressure.

Evan93 wrote: »

To those complaining about history, yeah you've to do 3 essays and basically a comprehension. But just read the question & you can do perfect essays that deal with the questions that are 3-4 pages. It's not a lot if you know your stuff & are able to answer the question to be fair (which is what the exam is testing).

People make essays out to be harder than they are, just answer the question & it'll be fine.
    If it was a case of reading the question and knowing your stuff I wouldn't be complaining, the problem is that the syllabus puts so much emphasis on critical thought and the viewpoint of a historian, yet the exam is basically a speed-writing test that doesn't give you time to stop and think about anything for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I was only gonna do about 3/4 pages for the comparative :/

Granted its not as bad as I made out there (joking like :P) but there's very little time to think - the only hope I have is to gain time in the document. Its partly the writing while thinking of everything then panicking as the information leaves your brain because you couldnt write fast enough...but maybe its just me :pac:

There will be smoke and burn marks on my exam from writing so fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I write quite small in comparison to others so that's my only self-assurance :L

Advertisement