Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of English answers.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Would 3 pages be sufficient for an English essay? Also how much should I aim to write for Part B on the comprehension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Wkds wrote: »
    Would 3 pages be sufficient for an English essay? Also how much should I aim to write for Part B on the comprehension?

No, it's supposed to be 4ish pages apparently.

The part b is grand at 2 pages but if you do more, you're more prone to gain marks as the examiner sees you can write at length and if you're a border grade, eg.B1/A2, they often go to either the essay and/or question b and see if they can give you a mark here or there! It is probably the most important question and often is neglected compared to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i think they say about 900-1200 words for the essay, don't go by pages cos some people have bigger writing than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

imelle wrote: »
    i think they say about 900-1200 words for the essay, don't go by pages cos some people have bigger writing than others

It's easier for people to go by pages! 4 Pages is almost foolproof for examiners! They don't have the time to be counting each and everyword on the page! Its more of a general guideline rather than a golden rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Am I the only person who has no idea of how many pages I'll write? I mean I have minimums for certain questions but I can never tell how long my answers will end up. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I managed to get my hands on the guidelines for the examiners from last year and it says expect three and a half pages before considering awarding full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Can't remember where I got this! It was off a teachers blog somewhere from just before the mocks. But these were her guidelines...

Paper 1

Comprehension answers:
    10 marks = half page
    15 marks = three quarters to one page
    20 marks = one to one and a half pages

Question B:
    One and a half to two pages
    It depends on task. Language of information asks to you be direct, succinct and get to the point so a report, set of guidelines, leaflet might be a page or just over. However, a general guideline suggests two pages and don’t include the addresses in a letter. They don’t count as half a page!

Composition:
    4 to 6 pages. Quality is more important than quantity. Don’t write so much that the reader gets bored and wishes it was over.

Paper 2

Hamlet:
    4 – 5 pages. Beyond 6 and you’re probably just waffling.

Comparative:
    5 – 7. Anything less is flimsy. You do have 3 texts after all.

Unseen poetry:
    A page and a half maximum.

Studied poetry:
    4 pages

Obviously some people write slow, some fast, some big, some small. The important thing is that the examiner sees you are focused on the question and organised in your approach. Don’t waffle.

Oh and one more thing! Bear in mind that the average number of words per line is 10-12.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

My writing is quite small, and I tend to not write much more than 3/4 pages for anything bar the composition on paper 1...

So now I'm worrying :P

Advertisement