Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hungary v Rep. of Ireland KO 7.30 - Setanta Ireland MOD POST #5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

adamski8 wrote: »
    Hungary are very very poor tonight, probably just that they are missing a good few and aren't up for it until they get in good positions in attack. Great warm up team for us though.

Really? I think they've been good. They're carving through us to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McShane doing a full warm up and St Ledger looks uncomfortable:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

lads has anyone got an english stream?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My better half us forcing me to watch The jubilee concert thingy.

Was ok until Lenny Henry came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

i wonder if we lost 5-0 would trapp still start the same team v croatia :)

anyways..plenty of attacking that final touch letting us down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Felexicon

tigger123 wrote: »
    Point taken, I haven't seen him playing for Spartak, his performance in the last and this friendly seem to have taken a step forward though. I'd start him ahead of McClean, and maybe have McClean as an impact sub if required.
    Absolutely. McGeadys game has come on leaps and bounds since leaving Celtic, which is hardly surprising as he was by far the most naturally gifted player in the SPL for some time and as such didn't have to work too hard week in week out. McClean is still a massively raw talent that hasn't proven he has what it takes at international level so all this talk about him having to start is bullsh!t. McGeady will be alot more dependable in this tournament and yes if needs must we can bring McClean on as an impact sub to put the head down and run at people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

madma wrote: »
    i wonder if we lost 5-0 would trapp still start the same team v croatia :)

anyways..plenty of attacking that final touch letting us down

Our only decent attacks are coming from long hoofed balls. When we put it down the final ball from Andrews and in particular Whelan is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Playing defensively ≠ being good defensively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

My better half us forcing me to watch The jubilee concert thingy.

Was ok until Lenny Henry came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Paully D wrote: »
    Hungary are very very poor tonight, probably just that they are missing a good few and aren't up for it until they get in good positions in attack. Great warm up team for us though.

Really? I think they've been good. They're carving through us to be honest.
    Well I can't remember our forwards having so muc ball in the final 3rd for quite some time. Hungarians are constantly losing 80:20 balls. Probably not arsed though.
    Our usual strong defence is pretty open too though.
    This is ireland away lads, I can't remember us having so much possession!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Paully D wrote: »
    McShane doing a full warm up and St Ledger looks uncomfortable:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

McShane isn't even on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lucky there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

we could be doing better

THFC wrote: »
    Lucky there.

For a good chunk of the last 15 games I tell ya!

Well I can't remember our forwards having so muc ball in the final 3rd for quite some time. Hungarians are constantly losing 80:20 balls. Probably not arsed though.
    Our usual strong defence is pretty open too though.
    This is ireland away lads, I can't remember us having so much possession!

Not arsed. Are you watching the same game as everyone else?

As i write this they have had their 4th chance on goal which should have been finished. They have been by far the better team, if they are not arsed we are in trouble at the weekend.

I;d say the Hungarian crowd are probably wondering how we managed to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Felexicon wrote: »
    Absolutely. McGeadys game has come on leaps and bounds since leaving Celtic, which is hardly surprising as he was by far the most naturally gifted player in the SPL for some time and as such didn't have to work too hard week in week out. McClean is still a massively raw talent that hasn't proven he has what it takes at international level so all this talk about him having to start is bullsh!t. McGeady will be alot more dependable in this tournament and yes if needs must we can bring McClean on as an impact sub to put the head down and run at people

Players will develop as far as they're tested, I was delighted to see him get out of Celtic (from an Irish point of view), he's obviously capable of achieving much more.

The McClean stuff is premature, he's not the finished article yet, plus, as long as he's sitting on the bench he's not making mistakes, which will only increase his standing with some fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Point taken, I haven't seen him playing for Spartak, his performance in the last and this friendly seem to have taken a step forward though. I'd start him ahead of McClean, and maybe have McClean as an impact sub if required.

Seeing as this is the first 11 out there tonight, can we assume that the 7 subs are the first choice subs and therefore McClean is likely to not be used unless there are injuries?

Or maybe its just because he started the last 2 friendlies?

As i write this they have had their 4th chance on goal which should have been finished. They have been by far the better team, if they are not arsed we are in trouble at the weekend.
    Oh god yes I agree, I never said ireland were playing well at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

play advantage ref

• Advertisement

Keane is having an awful game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Uh oh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Any update on the score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I;d say the Hungarian crowd are probably wondering how we managed to qualify.

Do you really think a perfomance in a meaningless friendly 6 days before a competitive match is indicative of how they will play on Sunday or how they played to qualify?

Seriously, why can teams not score against Ireland? :D Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

****ing hell! That should have been a goal for Hungary, great tackle by Ward really though, was that a stamp?

0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Worst half of football I have seen Ledger play for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

McGeady looks really sharp. Great to see Given is fit and in form as well.

Not too many other positives other than that. I'm a little worried about Keane's overall sharpness. He doesn't seem to quick off the mark, and his touch has let him down once or twice. He's experienced enough to turn it around.

On a side note, my 12 year old self really wants to play in goals on that pitch. I'd say it'd be great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

why do they look fitter, happier and more productive than us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

G.K. wrote: »

Final Warning. No Streams/Asking For Them - There will be cards

You don't usually get bookings in friendly games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Ormus wrote: »
    Seeing as this is the first 11 out there tonight, can we assume that the 7 subs are the first choice subs and therefore McClean is likely to not be used unless there are injuries?

Or maybe its just because he started the last 2 friendlies?

The starting eleven is fairly certain, after that I don't know. Personally I'd like to see McClean start on the bench, so he's there as an option if required.

TBH I don't know why he'd get the full 90 against Bosnia if he wasn't in with a shout of the bench at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

disgusting - trap should consider his future, hungary are a team of hoolahans and we're a team of paul greens - well guess what the grass isn't always greener

half time and its 0-0. It could have been a lot better by Ireland but the real football is next week.

No way she'd go out with Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

This game has been horrible to watch. I'd nearly disagree about Keane. I think he's been decent enough for us. He has got on the ball a lot.

I think Ward has been good today. He's one player that has impressed me. He is our only back that goes forwards frequently enough to be a creative force. Him going forward has helped a lot in our attack tonight imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Lucky not to be trailing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I love the 3 ad when there in the office advising your man on asking his workmate to dinner!

aindriu80 wrote: »
    half time and its 0-0. It could have been a lot better by Ireland but the real football is next week.

I agree. They will suddenly turn it on next Sunday. Those stray passed from Whelan the last few years will suddenly hit target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

donfers wrote: »
    disgusting - trap should consider his future, hungary are a team of hoolahans and we're a team of paul greens - well guess what the grass isn't always greener

Overreaction maybe? It was one half

Hardly "disgusting" either

• Advertisement

You can call for his head after next week, not after 0-0 at half time against hungary. Bet you can't wait until we get knocked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

So far so good, No real injuries and the lads seem to have come through the first 45 unscathed.
    Performance wise though it has been poor, I think its simply a case of the players looking to stay injury free and looking ahead to next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Overreaction maybe? It was one half

Hardly "disgusting" either

I think he was joking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anytime we play a remotely decent footballing team who are up for a match, we get played off the park.

I fear for us in the Euros.

The starting eleven is fairly certain, after that I don't know. Personally I'd like to see McClean start on the bench, so he's there as an option if required.

TBH I don't know why he'd get the full 90 against Bosnia if he wasn't in with a shout of the bench at least.

as mentioned a few times,
    everyone in the squad sits on the bench in the finals, and can be used. substitutes don't have to be named before the game.
    wouldn't read anything into mcclean not being on bench tonight, other than he may want to give hunt a run second half.

Ah to have St.Ledger in the studio and Breen on the pitch.

do Croatia play like Hungry but better ? We might be in major trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Not a great first half to watch. Have a Chinese takeaway in the post. Hopefully that'll make the second half easier to watch.

The conditions aren't helping but the midfielders are non-existent at times. Have to get closer in there, and on whichever wing that McGeady is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Hopefully we will get the ball and hold on to it. I'm sort of glad that we are being put under pressure, as it should keep us focused for tougher tests next week.

Anytime we play a remotely decent footballing team who are up for a match, we get played off the park.

I fear for us in the Euros.

I don't think you fear for us, i think you'd feel vindicated if we were embarrassed in the finals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement