Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hungary v Rep. of Ireland KO 7.30 - Setanta Ireland MOD POST #5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have been fairly lucky in that first half. I hope i'm wrong but some team is going to hit us for 3 or 4 if our midfield continue to give the ball away like they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I cant see much of the game but Hungry don't look like they are the most likely to score, hopefully we can take something away from this game
    do Croatia play like Hungry but better ? We might be in major trouble
    good tackle from dunne. hungry were through on goal

Not had your dinner yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

RGDATA! wrote: »
    I don't think you fear for us, i think you'd feel vindicated if we were embarrassed in the finals.

Kinda feels like there's a whole troop of fans out there that would love to see us get our asses kicked next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Anytime we play a remotely decent footballing team who are up for a match, we get played off the park.

I fear for us in the Euros.

It's our last friendly before a major tournament. The team have rightly been ordered to play a non-contact game or at least low contact. It's not so hard to play team off the park when they're trying not to tackle. I think Ward should have pulled out of that tackle, good as it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Not had your dinner yet?

HAHAHAHA nope, i forgot the a and pardon my ignorance but hungary for me is a non existent country, it would take me a few minutes with the map to put a finger on it

Maybe Walters can make a case for himself.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Kinda feels like there's a whole troop of fans out there that would love to see us get our asses kicked next week.

Yeah it's a strange phenomenon. Ireland followers rather than Ireland supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice one walters is on! Looks like given proved himself in the 1st half too so westwood is in now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

No Given. Hopefully it's not bad news. That save in the first half showed why we need him badly for the championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't think you fear for us, i think you'd feel vindicated if we were embarrassed in the finals.
    I am behind the players, not their fault that so many of them shouldn't be on the pitch. Trapattoni is badly out of his depth though, football has moved on from catenaccio.

I think Walters is gonna play himself into the starting lineup in this half.

Ormus wrote: »
    Yeah it's a strange phenomenon. Ireland followers rather than Ireland supporters.

It can be frustrating at times playing a 4-4-2 system that has never changed. Its very nice to be at the euro finals but we could have played better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Walters is a super player - he brings great energy and movement to the game. More so than Doyle unfortunately.

Setanta commentator wondering when McClean will be coming on.

Tactical Armchair Football Geniuses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's been a good test for the ROI so far and with next week in mind , you cant blame some of the players for playing the catious game .

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

I think Walters is gonna play himself into the starting lineup in this half.

He can't. Trap's already named the team for the Croatia game. :p

I am behind the players, not their fault that so many of them shouldn't be on the pitch. Trapattoni is badly out of his depth though, football has moved on from catenaccio.

Like who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Give us your starting XI then.

Setanta commentator wondering when McClean will be coming on.

It's a good question.

Would be an even better question if McClean was on the bench.

• Advertisement

It can be frustrating at times playing a 4-4-2 system that has never changed. Its very nice to be at the euro finals but we could have played better

I think 4-4-2 suits us.

I'd like the full backs to attack a bit more is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Well I'm Irish but generally not bothered whether they progress that far tbh. Football fan but what will fascinate me most about the Ireland games will be question of whether they can play like they have done in the past year and manage to catch three top European sides on an off day. My guess is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

schoolboy defending there on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

This is humiliating.

Great save Westwood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

JOS is a poor poor player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Under the cosh atm, good save from Westwood there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This is similar to the Russian match!

Westwood! Legend!

Too good for Sunderland reserves! West Ham should look at him to replace Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone who would not question Irelands performance so far in this game are seriously deluded.

6 days before a major championship we should be buzzing, knocking the ball around with the shackles off.

We are being played off the park completely by a team who should be in holiday mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Anyone who would not question Irelands performance so far in this game are seriously deluded.

6 DAYS before a major championship we should be buzzing, knocking the ball around with the shackles off.

We are being played off the park completely by a team who should be in holiday mode.

If only we had six games to improve..

Renn wrote: »
    Well I'm Irish but generally not bothered whether they progress that far tbh. Football fan but what will fascinate me most about the Ireland games will be question of whether they can play like they have done in the past year and manage to catch three top European sides on an off day. My guess is no.

Oh well at least you're honest about it. I think there a lotta Irish people who don't even notice that they prefer to give out than to support. People who find it more therapeutic to shout at the tv than to cheer us on.

How come you don't care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Their manager reminds me of Reg Holdsworth.

I think 4-4-2 suits us.

We could experiment a bit and use 4-3-3 now and again. We can be predictable at times.

Danger here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Wasting our luck in this friendly! Not a good idea!!!

Ward's acting innocent there is even less convincing that his performance in the 3 ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Sútalún wrote: »

I don't think many of us could take the torture of watching six more games.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ward caught out bad there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Renn wrote: »

You haven't watched Ireland at a major tournament before, have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sútalún wrote: »

:confused:

We have not been on a bad run of form going into this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

6 days before a major championship we should be buzzing, knocking the ball around with the shackles off.

Yeah like germany who won 8-0 against switzerland last week...oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

O'Shea has been awful, but I guess it's understandable given his lack of gametime.

I'd be more concerned about St.Ledger's performance. Dunne and either of our keepers are defending on their own out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wasn't the starting line-up the expected first eleven...?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

We could experiment a bit and use 4-3-3 now and again. We can be predictable at times.

I would take boring, predictable and qualifying every time.

• Advertisement

I think anyone who expected a good performance is deluded. We're going through the motions as delicately as possible. Thats what this game is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I think 4-4-2 suits us.

We're predictable, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

:confused:

We have not been on a bad run of form going into this match.

I never said we weren't? If anyone thinks that this Irish team is beyond improving they are deluded though. Alas, I'm certain we will up our game for the Euro's rendering this game fairly pointless.

If only we could bring McShane on now to settle the ship. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Bet the Croats are ****ting themselves right now

• Advertisement
Advertisement