Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Bins in kilbarry nature park

Options
  • 04-06-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

ABOLUTLY DISGRACEFUL not ONE bin in the new kilbarry nature park.had to carry a bag of poo for two km. and watch wont be long till the place is covered in sh!t and all the complainers are on Billy mc Carthy making us dog owners look like the devil. Very annoyed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Should have gone before you left home then.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

ABOLUTLY DISGRACEFUL not ONE bin in the new kilbarry nature park.had to carry a bag of poo for two km. and watch wont be long till the place is covered in sh!t and all the complainers are on Billy mc Carthy making us dog owners look like the devil. Very annoyed.

The council should definitely put in dog-poo bins, but SHOULD NOT put in litter bins. There are no litter bins in Walton Park, Dungarvan and it is generally very clean and tidy. As funny as it may seem, experience shows that litter bins tend to add to the litter problem rather than solve it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ABOLUTLY DISGRACEFUL not ONE bin in the new kilbarry nature park.had to carry a bag of poo for two km.
    bahahahahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The council ... SHOULD NOT put in litter bins. There are no litter bins in Walton Park, Dungarvan and it is generally very clean and tidy. As funny as it may seem, experience shows that litter bins tend to add to the litter problem rather than solve it!!
    Ridiculous. The reasons this happens are because the lazy councils / council employees won't
    • empty the bins
    • police the disposal of domestic waste in bins that are in place.
    This same stupid argument was used when the mickey-mouse lay-bys were installed on the new motorways. Now the lay-bys are mini rubbish-tips with paper coffee-cups, drink bottles & cans, and plastic bags of other detritus scattered all over the verges and the carriageways themselves. The councils' / NRA response? Hire private contractors to undertake the dangerous work of retrieving the rubbish from the hard-shoulders and medians of our meagre motorways. I'd love to see the spineless county-managers and councillors doing this work, it might open their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

The council should definitely put in dog-poo bins, but SHOULD NOT put in litter bins. There are no litter bins in Walton Park, Dungarvan and it is generally very clean and tidy. As funny as it may seem, experience shows that litter bins tend to add to the litter problem rather than solve it!!
    Kennedy park has them. I know that is a pay to enter park and this is supposed to be a low maintenance park but there is no such thing when there is that much human traffic passing through. Even if they had a couple of bins it would make a difference. There wasn't One!Not just for dog owners either. What stargirl said is true. Watch this space in a few weeks there will be complaints made.Dog owners will end up gettin the brunt of It.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Why are you complaining to us about it then? Christ almightly, do you want us to go put bins there for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Oh wow cocoshovel and here was I looking down through waterford city boards seeing complaints about many many things, people getting their points across and say wanting to see the likes of the tall ships back here and getting tourism boosted and complaints about how crap our town is. I for one am a big waterford fan, i want jobs kept here, i want tourism here so I complain because something new that has opened which is a nice thing and a good thing for this town is already at the risk of being destroyed by dog faeces. I'm trying to raise awareness that it's a disgrace. people are allowed come on here and complain till the cows come home when they stand in sh!t but we're not allowed complain when we want to prevent it. We get a few smart alec posts and then a b!tchy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Why are you complaining to us about it then? Christ almightly, do you want us to go put bins there for you?[/QuotThis is a forum to discuss local topics, including complaints and praise and opinions?The results of which somebody has kindly pointed us in the right direction as to the people who can help us get the lack of bin situation rectified.
    This is not a forum for people to be smart arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

mathepac wrote: »
    Ridiculous. The reasons this happens are because the lazy councils / council employees won't
    • empty the bins
    • police the disposal of domestic waste in bins that are in place.
    This same stupid argument was used when the mickey-mouse lay-bys were installed on the new motorways. Now the lay-bys are mini rubbish-tips with paper coffee-cups, drink bottles & cans, and plastic bags of other detritus scattered all over the verges and the carriageways themselves. The councils' / NRA response? Hire private contractors to undertake the dangerous work of retrieving the rubbish from the hard-shoulders and medians of our meagre motorways. I'd love to see the spineless county-managers and councillors doing this work, it might open their eyes.
    Good man!! So it's the council workers who are lazy, and not the people who are too dirty/lazy to dispose of their OWN RUBBISH//WASTE? ?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Three threads about the nature park? These mods are getting money for jam. Where's the nature park mega-thread?! I love a good mega thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

It's common for Nature Reserves not to have any bins, they have have a simple take nothing and leave nothing ethos, have come across this in nature parks in many countries

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The sister was out there earlier on and some old lad came up to her with a lump of dog sh!t in his hand and said "look what I nearly stepped in" Absolutely disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The sister was out there earlier on and some old lad came up to her with a lump of dog sh!t in his hand and said "look what I nearly stepped in" Absolutely disgraceful

Jaysush Chrisht! And that's what I paid my household charge for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Birdfood wrote: »
    It's common for Nature Reserves not to have any bins, they have have a simple take nothing and leave nothing ethos, have come across this in nature parks in many countries

Agree and have seen it myself in many countries. Sadly, this is Ireland and that ethos does not generally apply. People are happy to be walked on and sh1t where they sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Good man!! So it's the council workers who are lazy, and not the people who are too dirty/lazy to dispose of their OWN RUBBISH//WASTE? ?!!!
    Good man yourself. A shame to see you and your cosy little coterie of acolytes don't read well. Be careful not to litter the thread with exclamation marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

if it is a nature park as such then you would hardly give a fox or whatever be hanging around there a pooper scooper or stick nappies on wildlife in the said nature park! Poop where ya want its not dangerous to the environment, the way people are these days they may as well wrap themselves in bubble wrap or not go outside there front door in fear of threading on crap, next ye will be complaining about the rain in the park and that they should put a roof on it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

if it is a nature park as such then you would hardly give a fox or whatever be hanging around there a pooper scooper or stick nappies on wildlife in the said nature park! Poop where ya want its not dangerous to the environment, the way people are these days they may as well wrap themselves in bubble wrap or not go outside there front door in fear of threading on crap, next ye will be complaining about the rain in the park and that they should put a roof on it

That's a ridiculous statement. Not cleaning up your dog's waste is totally ignorant, not to mention dangerous for children, and there's no excuse for it. People shouldn't get dogs at all if they can't accept the responsibility that comes with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It think some people missed my point.Boards.ie can hardly do much about the part having to bins. Make a complaint to the council or whoever runs the park or suggest it to them.

Was on to the council as I had made a complaint ever before I raised the subject here, anyway they told me that bins and poo bag dispensers are due to be placed in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Was on to the council as I had made a complaint ever before I raised the subject here, anyway they told me that bins and poo bag dispensers are due to be placed in the park.

There ya are now, plain and simple and no reason for anyone to get their knickers in a twist, so back to world peace......

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Is the OP serious?

Pick up your rubbish & take it home with you? It's not that hard.

Some gob****es won't clear up after their dogs/kids/themselves no matter how many bins are around, sad but true.

Bins should be in the car-park but not in the park itself so animals don't kill themselves rooting through them. EASY!

Yes comeraghs the bins should be in the car park but they arent and so superquinn has the nearest bin. So anyone trying to make an effort to clean and take their dog poo away is being hindered by no bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There shouldn't be dog poo bins anywhere, why should my taxes/charges go to cleaning up after someones dog? I'm not trying to start anything here, but if you want to take your dog for a walk you should be willing to carry it's waste home with you. I could never understand why the council should pay for people who are too posh to carry their dogs waste around...

Maybe it's just me...

And just to make the post a tad crazy, if i get a pet snake, and bring it around for walks/slithers, and it sheds it skin, should the council now place Snake Skin bins in places???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

Not sure where I stand on this. Do we want a proper nature park or not?

If we want a genuine nature park, then bins for animal waste or otherwise shouldn't be a feature. Animals will leave manure behind them - that's natural.

If we want a glorified nature park which is actually a urban park with swings and slides, then they should push ahead with the poop bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The reality of all this is that dogs are welcome in the new park and a natural consequence of this is dog waste. It is a nature park but, for those of you that haven't been there yet, it has a number of tarmac paths for walking around and through it. If a dog goes to the toilet on one of these, it should be picked up by the dog's owner. You can be guaranteed that if this wasn't done, we'd have someone on here creating a thread about how disgraceful it is that our lovely new park is defaced by dog waste and that all dogs should be put down or something ridiculous like that.

It's not a ludicrous suggestion that there should be a couple of bins in the park for conscientious dog owners to dispose of the waste, keeping the park lovely and clean for all of us. Thankfully, it seems the council agree with this and are going to install bins. I only hope that it's done sooner rather than later as I always think it's better to start as you mean to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

There shouldn't be dog poo bins anywhere, why should my taxes/charges go to cleaning up after someones dog? I'm not trying to start anything here, but if you want to take your dog for a walk you should be willing to carry it's waste home with you. I could never understand why the council should pay for people who are too posh to carry their dogs waste around...

In that case why put bins anywhere? We should all carry our own rubbish home! Also some people who own dogs pay for a dog licence so if anyone is paying for it it shouldn't be your taxes and charges, they can take it out of the licence fee. People who pay that and are willing to pick up their dog's $hite at least deserve a bin here and there to do so and people should focus on those who don't bother picking up after their dogs at all.

I don't own a dog and never will but If someone who owns a dog is conscientious enough to bring litter bags and willing to clean up after their dog they shouldn't be chastised for wanting a bin to put it in. There is nothing worse than rolling a buggy on a ****e covered path. As previous posters said, one out by the car park and maybe with a heavyish animal proof lid to stop small animals hurting themselves rooting for food (I am thinking foxes);-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

letsbet wrote: »
    In that case why put bins anywhere? We should all carry our own rubbish home! Also some people who own dogs pay for a dog licence so if anyone is paying for it it shouldn't be your taxes and charges, they can take it out of the licence fee. People who pay that and are willing to pick up their dog's $hite at least deserve a bin here and there to do so and people should focus on those who don't bother picking up after their dogs at all.

Well if the money for the bins and upkeep/emptying of the bins is taken from the dog licence revenue, then i'm 100% on board with putting them there. But more than likely, it's not, as i believe it is used to keep the dog warden in a job and the pounds open (i am open to correction on this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Its a nature park, for nature... not litter stick in your pocket and bring it home you lazy so and so.... respect nature...

Booohoo... you had to carry dog pooh in a bag.... It was in a bag! Bags were ivented for carrying things...

If you have a dog you clean up after it... period... Stop ruining public places with overflowing rubbish bins and actually contribute to society rather than leech from it....

We get very few things in Waterford, stop moaning and enjoy the fact that we have a beautiful park...

Advertisement