Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Bins in kilbarry nature park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Kracken wrote: »
    Its a nature park, for nature... not litter stick in your pocket and bring it home you lazy so and so.... respect nature...

Booohoo... you had to carry dog pooh in a bag.... It was in a bag! Bags were ivented for carrying things...

If you have a dog you clean up after it... period... Stop ruining public places with overflowing rubbish bins and actually contribute to society rather than leech from it....

We get very few things in Waterford, stop moaning and enjoy the fact that we have a beautiful park...

You have got to be trolling! If it's a nature park for nature, why are there Tarmac paths everywhere? If you're all about nature, why not leave dog excrement all over the place as that's natural? Would you have any problem with this?

And where the fcuk do you get off saying that someone's leeching from society?

Also, I don't know I'd you've ever seen a bin for dog waste but they usually have covers on them and are quite small so people can't use them for their domestic waste, which is a problem with bigger bins. If these, or any, public bins are to overflow, that's the council's fault. Do you have a problem with them having bins in John Roberts Square and on the streets of Waterford? Have you ever thrown a coffee cup or the wrapper from a chocolate bar or anything in any of these bins? If so, why didn't you bring these home with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

nkay1985 wrote: »
    You have got to be trolling! If it's a nature park for nature, why are there Tarmac paths everywhere? If you're all about nature, why not leave dog excrement all over the place as that's natural? Would you have any problem with this?

And where the fcuk do you get off saying that someone's leeching from society?

Also, I don't know I'd you've ever seen a bin for dog waste but they usually have covers on them and are quite small so people can't use them for their domestic waste, which is a problem with bigger bins. If these, or any, public bins are to overflow, that's the council's fault. Do you have a problem with them having bins in John Roberts Square and on the streets of Waterford? Have you ever thrown a coffee cup or the wrapper from a chocolate bar or anything in any of these bins? If so, why didn't you bring these home with you?

No I am not trolling, i am angry at peoples selfishness, every day on my street countless number of waterford people walk their dogs and let them crap everywhere, there is even bins they can use but they are so narrow minded that they won't even clean up after them.

Never mind the fact that I have more than dozen occassion seen people dump rubbish less than 5 yards away from an empty bin. They can even be bothered to walk a few feet to put it in it.

The nature pack has tarmac to serve a dual purpose, give the people a park to enjoy, whilst allowing enough flora to allow wild-life to provail.

I routine go on collection days along millers march, down past the tramore round walkway... picking up rubbish, so I have actually earned the right to give out about people's laziness.

My parents walk their dog and bring plastic bags with them to clean up any excrement to bring home and bin... All it takes is a little effort, something this city has seemed to have forgotten.

I bring a bag with me to carry my own rubbish, if i can do why can't others?

Has society gotten so bad that a little thought and caring about the environment is too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

i am angry at peoples selfishness, every day on my street countless number of waterford people walk their dogs and let them crap everywhere, there is even bins they can use but they are so narrow minded that they won't even clean up after them.
    So where is your problem with responsible dog owner, scooping dog poops and asking for at least one bin in the car park she can dispose the poop bag into?

Sorry mate, poop bags may be scented alone but once you scoop the load in they stink. 2 km loop around the park + another 1km to the nearest bin in Superquinn car park is too much smell to handle. Why not meet halfway? At Kilbarry Nature Park Car Park?
    Stop ruining public places with overflowing rubbish bins
    Now, that is Waterford City Management issue not the people using bins for what they were put for.

beazee wrote: »
    Sorry mate, poop bags may be scented alone but once you scoop the load in they stink. 2 km loop around the park + another 1km to the nearest bin in Superquinn car park is too much smell to handle. Why not meet halfway? At Kilbarry Nature Park Car Park?

Fair point, but I think its part of the responsiblity of owning a dog, I have a daughter, if she poops her nappy, we bag it up and bring it with us. They stink the same...

[QUOTE=beazee;79077191Now, that is Waterford City Management issue not the people using bins for what they were put for.[/QUOTE]

You and I both know that nothing is ever going to be done about that, so unfortunately, we have to step up and deal with it... That's why I will always do what I feel is necessary to reduce my impact on parks and civic amenties...

I have a daughter, if she poops her nappy, we bag it up and bring it with us.
    Once I am made aware he pooped his nappy I can decide whether change him on the spot, wait until I get to the car park and change him in the car or just wait another 15min and change him comfortably at home.

Not really a choice dog owners have. It's just - bang! - deal with it!
    Puppy left me no choice pooping in the middle of pedestrian crossing.
    Once I got back on the next green with bag in my hand there was nothing to scoop. Sorry, Bro, I have sinned.

• Advertisement

Once I am made aware he pooped his nappy I can decide whether change him on the spot, wait until I get to the car park and change him in the car or just wait another 15min and change him comfortably at home.

Not really a choice dog owners have. It's just - bang! - deal with it!
    Puppy left me no choice pooping in the middle of pedestrian crossing.
    Once I got back on the next green with bag in my hand there was nothing to scoop. Sorry, Bro, I have sinned.

This is true, but will dogs you are aware that they can go anywhere, certainly there are places where safety overrides the situation.

But if you have a dog and you walk it in public you have certain responsiblites and just because there are no bins mean you have to bring it with you. You can always double bag etc., but none the less, it is still a responbility...

But if you have a dog and you walk it in public you have certain responsiblites and just because there are no bins mean you have to bring it with you. You can always double bag etc., but none the less, it is still a responbility...
    It is my responsibility which I am aware of and take upon me when walking my wife's dog. Full stop.

But wouldn't it be nice if the corporation used some of household charge* money to finance one (1) dog poo bin in the public park car park?

*Revenues from the household charge will support the provision of local services. Internationally, local services are administered by local authorities and financed by local service charges. In Ireland, local authorities are responsible for, among other services, public parks; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities; planning and development; fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets and street lighting. These facilities benefit everyone.
    https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx#fk7

It is my responsibility which I am aware of and take upon me when walking my wife's dog. Full stop.

But wouldn't it be nice if the corporation used some of household charge* money to finance one (1) dog poo bin in the public park car park?

*Revenues from the household charge will support the provision of local services. Internationally, local services are administered by local authorities and financed by local service charges. In Ireland, local authorities are responsible for, among other services, public parks; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities; planning and development; fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets and street lighting. These facilities benefit everyone.
    https://www.householdcharge.ie/Faq.aspx#fk7

I agree with the household charge, as such I have already contact John Halligan TD and he will be putting a question to Minister Hogan in the Dail with regards to the specific amounts of monies to be received by Waterford City Council.

However, without a doubt I can pretty much say that Minister Hogan will find some way of avoiding the question.... But the question has been asked none the less...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

ABOLUTLY DISGRACEFUL not ONE bin in the new kilbarry nature park.had to carry a bag of poo for two km. and watch wont be long till the place is covered in sh!t and all the complainers are on Billy mc Carthy making us dog owners look like the devil. Very annoyed.

Sure its a dump anyway, old habbits die hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sure its a dump anyway, old habbits die hard!

What do you mean? Have you being there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 wolverette

I was well impressed with the nature park and the kids enjoyed themselves, we will be coming back again. I found the park very clean with the exception of small amounts of dog poo. All dog owners that I encountered today had doggy bags and were using them so its only a small few who don't clean up after. I have to say I was a little worried that not all dog owners had their pets on leads thought! Saying that I would strongly recommend all to visit and make up your own minds. Great for all the family and the sporty type!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

I own 2 dogs and to be honest I couldn't give a hoot if there's a bin about, just pull out a bag, pick it up and if it has to be brought in the car until I get to a bin or get home, so be it. Suck it up. As a nation we don't have the resources to put bins at every corner and lay by and even if we did, would they be serviced/emptied properly/enough.

I actually agree with the 'no bins' idea and I've seen the benefits first hand. In 4 different supermarkets/forecourts that I've worked in, I removed the bins from outside and kept one inside the door near the convenience area, people tend to use it for wrappers from ice cream and chocolate. 3.5 hours less cleaning a week and one less bin lift and a cleaner car park and forecourt. Saving me almost €2k per store.

If you put bins, even in the car park at the nature park, people just empty their car of the 'McDonalds bag', the bin fills up and overflows and then you have an issue.

Not having bins in the park wont make any difference to the dog **** issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its official in the munster express this weeks edition that the council are definately not placing bins or toilets in the park and that people using the park will have to just take there rubbish home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

its official in the munster express this weeks edition that the council are definately not placing bins or toilets in the park and that people using the park will have to just take there rubbish home
    Not according to WLR:
    People of Waterford have embraced new Nature Park

The 50 acre park in Kilbarry was officially opened by the President at the start of the month and its first week has been very successful. Labour councillor Seamus Ryan raised the issue of rubbish with Director of Services Colette Byrne. She said that bins will be installed in the car park, but will not be situated throughout the park.Instead, she appealed for people using the park to keep their rubbish with them and use the bins at the entrance to the park.Fine Gael's Tom Cunningham was concerned about parking. Colette Byrne explained that the small car park will be open to the public in conjunction with the Kingfisher Club Sports Complex opening hours. These are 6.30am to 10.30pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on Saturday and Sunday. The council does not plan to install public toilets in the park at this time, due to budget constraints.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/153803-people-of-waterford-have-embraced-new-nature-park.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Leave nothing behind but your footprints.

It's a good policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

This thread is a load of sh1t

Advertisement