Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Elderflower

Options
  • 04-06-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this would be in the right forum, but guessing gardeners would have the best idea.
    Does anyone know exactly where wild elderflower grows? I have looked online, and apparently it grows on hedgerows, ditches and at the bottom of the dublin mountains, but this isn't really definite.

Anyone spotted it anywhere? Or even know where to buy it? Don't want much, just to make jam or cordial.

Cheers. xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

There's a massive plant that grows over the wall of an overgrown garden at the bottom of our estate. It is absolutely giant, so your info about ditches and hedgerows seems accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Don't worry when its in flower you will see it, usually you can smell its unpleasant smell before spotting it. Plenty of elder trees all over North Dublin. It was actually considered an evil tree in ancient times.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

It IS evil because it will grow anywhere and is next to impossible to kill! :)
    Very fond of growin out of down pipes.

Plenty in the hedges around the country. Just look for the white flower
    000_0354_phixr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just go out in the countryside and stop when you see a tree covered in large fluffy white flowers (that isn't hawthorn or blackthorn!) I haven't seen any in full flower yet, its been a bit cold, but it should be in flower very soon. There is one beside my house in a bit of wild hedgerow on an estate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

looksee wrote: »
    Just go out in the countryside and stop when you see a tree covered in large fluffy white flowers (that isn't hawthorn or blackthorn!) I haven't seen any in full flower yet, its been a bit cold, but it should be in flower very soon. There is one beside my house in a bit of wild hedgerow on an estate!

Tons of the stuff growing along the train track embankments by Killester Dart Station.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

paddy147 wrote: »
    Tons of the stuff growing along the train track embankments by Killester Dart Station.:)

No doubt, and plenty in random bits of cities anywhere, but would you fancy it with all the fumes and dust and muck? :D Like eating blackberries from road sides. Yuck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

looksee wrote: »
    No doubt, and plenty in random bits of cities anywhere, but would you fancy it with all the fumes and dust and muck? :D Like eating blackberries from road sides. Yuck.

Roadside blackberries.....Mmmm Yummy.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Took a big harvest yesterday to make Eledrflower champagne..its absolutely everywhere at the moment.
    I got mine between finglas and the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

heavy metals et al.....

read the below attached file: :eek::eek::eek:

Poland sells unleaded petrol along with the standard petrol and so may have higher levels of pollution, but you have to ask when did we convert to unleaded, what pollutats have been eliminated by that switch and how long do those pollutants persist in the environment. Trees are known to store heavy metals in their leaves, so what about the fruits???

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

http://wildandslow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/WILD-ELDERFLOWER-FINAL.pdf Have a read of this op, it gives great advice on finding, picking & preserving elderflower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

I've seen lots of this around and in bloom too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

For some peculiar reason, it seems to be blooming further north than south, which defies the norm.
    It's not in full bloom around Wicklow/Wexford yet.
    Heavy metals aside, I wonder if it has any health benefits? Flies certainly like the flowers.

Advertisement