Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Quick Poetry Help Needed!

Options
  • 04-06-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all I was just wondering for answering poetry should I give a Personal Response on each poem or are personal responses needed unless its says exactly in the question 'Give a personal response'? Like if each paragraph contains one poem should I give a brief personal response at the end of the paragraph regardless of the question?

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boom boom boom

I think i remember someone saying that unless your asked for it don't give it...as an examiner doesn't want someones opinion who is less educated then them......could be completely wrong though but i think i remember someone saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Remember the PCLM marking scheme. * P = purpose ie: answer the question.

Don't give a personal response unless you're asked, (which is unlikely!), certainly comment on why you liked it, but perhaps phrase is in a way that its why it appealed to the reader, rather that yourself!

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I was told you should always give your personal opinion, even if it's not asked in a straightforward way. Just make sure you stick to the question. If the question was something like "Plath's poetry gives an insight into her troubled world," you could say "We see this in poem X where she presents us with Y image. I found this very unsettling but it shows us her frame of mind," or something along those lines.

EDIT: Just looked at last year's marking scheme and saw this:

"In each of the questions in Prescribed Poetry the underlying nature of the task is the invitation to the candidates to engage with the poems themselves." (bolded in marking scheme, not by me)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭afc4life

Thanks for the quick and great reply guys! I think Ill just do like ye said and when its appropriate just say something like 'This appeals to me as a reader' or whatever!

Thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

afc4life wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick and great reply guys! I think Ill just do like ye said and when its appropriate just say something like 'This appeals to me as a reader' or whatever!

Thanks again! :)

Yeah, that is exactly what you need to do. My own teacher looks at the scripts that come back and the ones who get the A1s have shown a clear appreciation and understanding for the prescribed text. She says adding those comments are vital as otherwise you might sound like you are parroting someone else's notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭justBlake

Izymunz wrote: »
    Yeah, that is exactly what you need to do. My own teacher looks at the scripts that come back and the ones who get the A1s have shown a clear appreciation and understanding for the prescribed text. She says adding those comments are vital as otherwise you might sound like you are parroting someone else's notes.

I'm just learning personal response to Plath, Heaney, kavanagh, Laring and a small bit on Rich just incase the shock us all by putting her o again istead of Plath

Advertisement