Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of installing Cash&Carry kitchen v Ikea?

• 04-06-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I got a quote of €3,900 for a kitchen in Cash&Carry Kitchens. I've priced a similar kitchen in Ikea at €3,000.
    I'm wondering which is the better deal, taking into account the additional cost of getting someone to assemble and install the Ikea flatpack, plus delivery from Dublin (I think this is in the region of €150), as opposed to installing the C&C which comes ready-assembled. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

by the time you ad in the cost of instalation you are getting close to what most other companies can supply and fit ,and provide u with a better end product ,assuming its an average size kitchen by the unit quotes.keep shopin:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

By the price you got I would guess that to assemble the Ikea kitchen would take about a day extra work over the Cash and Carry one.
    So factor in one extra days labour.
    I've never fitted an Ikea kitchen but from what I've seen of their other 'furniture' it's fairly cheap quality. I have fitted a Cash and Carry one and the quality is fine. Nothing fantastic but not close to rubbish either.
    I would want to have a good look at an actual Ikea kitchen before I would part with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I fitted a small kitchen in a utility. Ikea stuff. While I think the quality is good, particularly for my application as it will be low use. I would wonder if the doors are good enough to last long term in a main kitchen with kids and more robust regular use. The carcasses are strong.
    We chose shaker style oak doors to match our main kitchen.
    The appearance is very good, doesn't look DIY at all.

I've no experience of C&C stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

We are on our 3rd Ikea kitchen (different houses, obviously). We installed the first one 25 years ago - can't say what happened to that one, but the one we had 12 years ago is still in use by the current house owners and it still looks like new.
    Now we have another one in this house. If we ever move again there is no doubt we will get another one from Ikea.
    Must admit that OH and I are dab hands at flatpack.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Thats the only thing I don't like about the Ikea kitchens. The foil/pvc wrapped doors often sometimes peel. If it were me I'd buy the carcasses from Ikea and the doors elsewhere. I don't know if your allowed to name and shame a company who supplies doors that peel, but there is one I would suggest you avoid. I'll PM you and let you know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement