Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campus Accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 robyro

I think so. There have to be different lists for semester one, semester two and full year. It's reasonable because a full year occupies a room for the whole year, while semester 1 and semester 2 may occupy the same room but in different period. I do not have idea about other international students (non erasmus) lists!! maybe they have some priority....?? However I've just sent an email...let's wait!
    I hope the server is broke-down!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jojogaya

Aurora2012 wrote: »
    I didn't get this email, another thing that sucks in this whole process! :rolleyes::D
    Did they send it to your personal address or to the "UCD Connect" one ?

On my personal adress. Actually, the woman who is in charge of the Erasmus law students (of which I am part) forwarded it to us, I didn't get it from the guy himself. I guess maybe he only sent it to the ones who contacted him...
    Imagine they don't send this email: you could live until September desperatly logging to SISWEB night and day, pressing F5 with the hope to see this damn 10 disappear. :D

Don't say that gosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Aurora2012

I just contacted the accommodation office to ask why this list is not moving for me since its "first come first serve". I mean I was 15th on Monday and I'm only 13th now and I don't think only 2 people booked a room in almost 3 days since they only have 24 hours to pay the deposit.

Unfortunately I don't think they'll reply :D
    Due to the large amount of queries we are receiving at this time, we are unable to reply to all queries straight away. We apologise for this delay and will endeavour to deal with your query in as timely a fashion as possible.

I got their answer and I'm just feeling... disappointed and irritated!
    The Waitlist was opened to students on Tuesday last and places on campus were offered on Wednesday. Most of the places were filled at this time. Any remaining unclaimed spaces or offers will be offered to those remaining on the waitlist and will be offered down to those at the top of the waitlist. These places will continue to be offered until all the places are filled.
    Although we must caution that there are very few places left in each category at this time. The second rounds of place offers have already gone out and we expect even fewer places to be left. We are advising those who haven’t received an offer at this time to look elsewhere, but to keep an eye on their email.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    How come Jojogaya and I didn't get a room since we applied before 9am on Tuesday ?! :mad: I was 86 on the list on Tuesday (~2300 at 9am and 86 at 11am) and there are 910 rooms for international students, I should have got a room or there's something wrong in their system.
    I don't believe that 1877 (=total number of spaces less the 1st year CAO who could apply in May) students applied before us on Tuesday in less than an hour (since the application was closed at 8am when I checked). I'm just so mad !!

I am so angry!! I think everybody on the list has doubts about this system and send email, so the accomodation office can't reply all very quicly!
    I didn't even receive that email what Jojogaya is talking about :(
    It's so weird! This is also the first year that this method is used, because I received an email about last minute changes before 5th June. I presume you too.
    Maybe there is a mistake! :P
    ooowwwww what shall we dooo?! :(

• Advertisement

I received the same email about last minute changes and maybe the former system was more fair...

Well, I sent another email asking if there might have been a problem with the server and I got this:
    Our records indicate that you are a single semester Erasmus student. For this category there were not as much as the 910 you assumed. As such you were not sufficiently placed to get offered a place.
    At this time we are advising all students who have not received an offer to look for alternative accommodation.

But for some reason my friend who applied a few minutes before me as an "Erasmus full year" is 5th on the list and it's not moving either for her... :rolleyes:

Finding a room for just 4 months is going to be very difficult since a lease is usually for 12 months in Ireland...

I'm gonna cry !! :mad::D

robyro wrote: »
    I am so angry!! I think everybody on the list has doubts about this system and send email, so the accomodation office can't reply all very quicly!
    I didn't even receive that email what Jojogaya is talking about :(
    It's so weird! This is also the first year that this method is used, because I received an email about last minute changes before 5th June. I presume you too.
    Maybe there is a mistake! :P
    ooowwwww what shall we dooo?! :(

Jojogaya said she got it from the woman in charge of Erasmus law students so that's why we didn't get it but on UCD's website it says pretty much the same thing...

I'm afraid we don't have any other solution than starting to look for apartments off campus which is easy when you live so far from Dublin. :rolleyes:

What was the old system like? I mean I'd understand this system if they'd gave us the opening time. For those who have already booked their classes, it's the same except they specifically told us it would open at 9am so that's pretty faire I guess. But here, what did they expect us to do? Refresh every five seconds? I mean, why not if you're in Ireland or Europe even but you can't expect that from someone in say, Canada or China with a 6 or 7 hour jet lag!

Finding a room for just 4 months is going to be very difficult since a lease is usually for 12 months in Ireland...

That, not knowing the city AND knowing how hard it is to find a room in Paris and transfering that to the idea of finding a room in another country, really, really scares me!

The Erasmus office said they expected it to open between 9-9:30am and it opened at like 8:20am :mad:
    I have read that some years it even opened during the night and, you're right, it's even worse for people that are sleeping at the time because of jetlag...

In the former system there was no waitlist (until all the rooms were allocated) so you could choose your room right away among all residences.
    But it wasn't more fair in fact because you probably still had to come as early as possible and to make your choice very quickly. Also, with everybody coming at the same time the server was probably broken down.

• Advertisement

God I really need 10 people to cancel their bookings right now. I'd be so f***ing disappointed if I stopped at place 10!

Jojogaya wrote: »
    That, not knowing the city AND knowing how hard it is to find a room in Paris and transfering that to the idea of finding a room in another country, really, really scares me!

What scares me also is that apparently Dublin buses are not very reliable. I read that from former Erasmus students but don't know if it's still true.
    And that's not nice if you don't live close to Belfield which is already far from the city centre. :(

I received the same email:
    "Our records indicate that you are a single semester Erasmus student. For this category there were not as much as the 910 you assumed. As such you were not sufficiently placed to get offered a place.
    At this time we are advising all students who have not received an offer to look for alternative accommodation. "

I heard about bad bus system in Dublin too!
    It's a problem to look for an apartment only for 4-5 months!
    Don't talking about internet, tv, electricity, etc... charges. You need a contract for each!
    let's cry together! :(:(:(

Waitlist not moving today either, I fear for the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yashir0

will there be another chance to book on campus before college begins?217th in the waitlist,it seems hopeless.Maybe I should looking for a reasonably priced apartment near the college.Can somebody give me some advices?

I guess it's hopeless except for people that are on top of the list.
    Also, I believe there's no more room available so the only chance to get one is if somebody cancels his reservation.

What Im gonna do is wait until the end of the month, see if any progress is made. If not I'll call UCD and ask if they have tips and stuff to find out of campus accommodation.

Jojogaya wrote: »
    What Im gonna do is wait until the end of the month, see if any progress is made. If not I'll call UCD and ask if they have tips and stuff to find out of campus accommodation.

How about looking for an accommodation in shared houses outside of the campus? It can be a little cheaper.
    check this http://www.daft.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Magnolia27

I think only Proby is left for last years and postgrads. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get to Belfield from Blackrock? Is it worth staying at Blackrock if you study at Belfield? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 magpie0508

Magnolia27 wrote: »
    I think only Proby is left for last years and postgrads. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get to Belfield from Blackrock? Is it worth staying at Blackrock if you study at Belfield? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    I will study in Belfield and live in Blackrock. It seems cycling is the best choice, given that dart is not reliable......

• Advertisement

magpie0508 wrote: »
    I will study in Belfield and live in Blackrock. It seems cycling is the best choice, given that dart is not reliable......

I guess that is the best option for now. Although thinking of cycling in the rain and Dublin weather makes me uneasy.

I also have an option of staying closer to city centre; if I'm going to be commuting from Blackrock to Belfield, wouldn't commuting from city centre be the better option?

I guess that is the best option for now. Although thinking of cycling in the rain and Dublin weather makes me uneasy.

I also have an option of staying closer to city centre; if I'm going to be commuting from Blackrock to Belfield, wouldn't commuting from city centre be the better option?

What do you mean by "an option of staying closer to city centre"? If you mean house-sharing or rent, why not staying near Belfield?

What do you mean by "an option of staying closer to city centre"? If you mean house-sharing or rent, why not staying near Belfield?

That's precisely my question; I really wanted to stay on campus, but didn't get anything in Belfield. I thought perhaps there will be good transport links from Blackrock to Belfield, but apparently that's not the case.

So, proximity being crossed off the list for staying at the UCD residences, the only other reason would be to be closer to what's going on at UCD (student life and what not). If I move into apartment share, it would be with non-students.

To perhaps clarify the question: Will the experience of living in Proby be the same as in a flatshare off-campus?

That's precisely my question; I really wanted to stay on campus, but didn't get anything in Belfield. I thought perhaps there will be good transport links from Blackrock to Belfield, but apparently that's not the case.

So, proximity being crossed off the list for staying at the UCD residences, the only other reason would be to be closer to what's going on at UCD (student life and what not). If I move into apartment share, it would be with non-students.
    I think there must be students unable to live on-campus cause the students are apparently outnumber the rooms. I booked blackrock before checking the map, and now kind of feeling moving out if possible...

I think there must be students unable to live on-campus cause the students are apparently outnumber the rooms. I booked blackrock before checking the map, and now kind of feeling moving out if possible...

Yes, I agree with you. I think there are fewer students applying for rooms in Blackrock, there were a lot of those rooms left when I checked yesterday. I will think about it some more and see what to do.

By the way, cancellation is possible, but only after forfeiting a specific amount of your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Carzado

I'm in Proby apartment 1 room 2 House 2.

Yashir0 wrote: »
    will there be another chance to book on campus before college begins?217th in the waitlist,it seems hopeless.Maybe I should looking for a reasonably priced apartment near the college.Can somebody give me some advices?
    when i applied i was 607 on the waitlist but i still got a place. so theres hope.:)

sonate wrote: »
    Apartment 3 Room 3, Proby Residence House 2... any flatmates??
    Apartment 1 room 2, proby residence house 2. quite close

• Advertisement

Carzado wrote: »
    when i applied i was 607 on the waitlist but i still got a place. so theres hope.:)

Seriously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement