Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If someone is born deaf and blind what language they think in?

• 04-06-2012 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

So someone posted this question on facebook and it really got me thinking. Would they even think in the same way as someone who grew up exposed to language?

Anyone know the answer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Mandarin.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Just images I'd imagine, no words at all..as in abstract shapes, maybe...wait now..shut up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Jedward language

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mandarin, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Feeling stuff around them with their hands. There have been languages developed for people who are both deaf and blind which involve feeling each others' hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Braile?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pedant wrote: »
    Feeling stuff around them with their hands. There have been languages developed for people who are both deaf and blind which involve feeling each others' hands.
    That's handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

The same "language" as you. Only when you are trying to commit thought to words do you use any particular language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

in klingon actually :rolleyes:

they klingon to their guide to get about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I wonder can a deaf mute be schizophrenic

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I wonder can a deaf mute be schizophrenic

Why's that ol' sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why's that ol' sport?
    Something to do with not being able to hear voices in your head, I'd imagine, is what he's going for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So someone posted this question on facebook and it really got me thinking. Would they even think in the same way as someone who grew up exposed to language?

Anyone know the answer?
    Whatever language they are thought to communicate in! A person born deaf and blind will learn to think in English, just as they learn to communicate in that language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

The same "language" as you. Only when you are trying to commit thought to words do you use any particular language.

So, wait, I say full sentences in English in my head. I read this in my head as I typed it with words and sh!t. I'm fairly sure I don't have an imaginary voice in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Anyone know the answer?

I'v often thought that too but in relation to animals also. Its a paradox I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Through their other senses they would form an understanding in their mind. Seeing (heyoo) as though they would communicate through touch I'd imagine they would use that sensation to form the bases of their thought, it would be an inner image type of a thing thinking using maps of textures, pressures, temperatures, tastes and smells they have experienced. I suppose.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

OP .Interesting one alright .Ideas and touch remembered .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

You learn a language so you can communicate with others, you dont need a language to talk to yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm not sure but I do know that a doctor would have to shout BAH in their ear with a couple of sadistic nuns looking on, if that's any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I do know that a doctor would have to shout BAH in their ear with a couple of sadistic nuns looking on, if that's any help.

Child of the 70's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Child of the 70's?
    Where's Grandad?

Never give a fire a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm a little hungover, so this is probably a stupid question, but is there no way to communicate with deaf & blind people? I'm pretty sure that some deaf and blind people have been reasonably successful in society, which must have required some form of communication.

I'm a little hungover, so this is probably a stupid question, but is there no way to communicate with deaf & blind people? I'm pretty sure that some deaf and blind people have been reasonably successful in society, which must have required some form of communication.

Semaphore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You learn a language so you can communicate with others, you dont need a language to talk to yourself!

You're not a thinker are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

stovelid wrote: »
    Semaphore.

Hmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Helen Keller. Probably the most famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

Fascinating link, cheers.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Ideas arrive first and become words in our heads .Is that not how it happens ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement