Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arts possibilities

Options
  • 04-06-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

if i do arts would there be much of a chance of moving into another course in my second year...commerce would be my main choice but being realistic i wont be able to get 440...any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

If you meet the requirements to get into another course, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

No, if you want to transfer after 1st year you need to have met the Leaving Cert requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yes it is possible to transfer to another course.
    Second year (stage 2):
    • of a different but related programme in UCD
    • of the same programme that I’m attending in another institution
    Students who have successfully completed one or more years of a similar programme may apply for entry to second year (stage 2) in UCD. In some cases it may also be possible to apply for third year (stage 3) but entry directly to the final year of a programme is not normally permitted.
    Applications are considered provided:
    a) They meet the entry requirements of the class they are entering, except under the conditions outlined in 2.2.2 and 2.3.2 in the Transfer Policy.
    b) They are able to satisfy the progression requirements of the new programme (i.e this normally reqquires having at least 50 credits relevant to the target programme including all pre-requisites).
    c) There are places available in the new programme.
    The School of Medicine and Medical Science in University College Dublin will normally consider transfer students to the Medicine degree programme only on humanitarian grounds on a case by case basis. Applications should be accompanied by an endorsement from the applicant’s current Dean and, if claiming medical grounds, a Medical Certificate.

How to Apply
    Applications must be made online at www.ucd.ie/apply. Applicants should choose the 'undergrad transfer/readmission' application type when making an application. Applications open no later 1 April each year for admission the following September. The closing date is 1 July and any supporting documentation (including a non-refundable application fee) must be received by UCD Registry - Admissions within 24 hours of the closing date.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc#S2

Have a read of the transfer policy document as well:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/trans_pol.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6 etha77

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yes it is possible to transfer to another course.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc#S2

Have a read of the transfer policy document as well:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/trans_pol.pdf
    What is meant by "They meet the entry requirements of the class they are entering" Leaving cert grades or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

You also have the option of completing a degree (for instance a BA) and your entry to another course (such as commerce) can be predicated on your degree result rather than your LC. However, do be warned: when you start studying at third level you will incur full fees if you choose a different course or another course (for instance if you study A for 1 year and switch to a completely different course B the next year, you will most likely have to pay 1 year of full fees). Sometimes that's worth the cost though - know a couple of people who switched course after a couple of years and just bit the bullet in terms of fees! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

etha77 wrote: »
    What is meant by "They meet the entry requirements of the class they are entering" Leaving cert grades or...?

Entry requirement are the matriculation subjects required (pass O level Irish, English etc.) and having the neccessary LC points for that course.

You also have the option of completing a degree (for instance a BA) and your entry to another course (such as commerce) can be predicated on your degree result rather than your LC. However, do be warned: when you start studying at third level you will incur full fees if you choose a different course or another course (for instance if you study A for 1 year and switch to a completely different course B the next year, you will most likely have to pay 1 year of full fees). Sometimes that's worth the cost though - know a couple of people who switched course after a couple of years and just bit the bullet in terms of fees! :pac:

I would've thought that if you were moving from 1st year in one course to 2nd year in another you wouldn't be liable for fees as you're not repeating any years. Obviously that wouldn't be the case if you're moving from 1st or 2nd year in one course back to first year in another.

Advertisement