Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I break someones nose and get away with it easily?

• 04-06-2012 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Say if I go to Galway for a night to visit a friend and I hypothetically get into a fight, lets say completely unprovoked on the other persons part, and break someones nose, how do the Guards know who I am?
    I'm not violent in anyway, haven't been in a fight since school ect. I'm just genuinely curious can you actually do this and get away with it quite easily. I wouldn't be known around Galway, say I only have my smokes and cash on me and 'I don't remember where my friend lives', what the hell can they do? :confused:

I'm all too well aware I may have too much to think about pointless stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Why would you want to get away with someones nose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Say if I go to Galway for a night to visit a friend and I hypothetically get into a fight, lets say completely unprovoked on the other persons part, and break someones nose, how do the Guards know who I am?
    I'm not violent in anyway, haven't been in a fight since school ect. I'm just genuinely curious can you actually do this and get away with it quite easily. I wouldn't be known around Galway, say I only have my smokes and cash on me and 'I don't remember where my friend lives', what the hell can they do? :confused:

Leave you in a cell until you squeal:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Well, you've ruined it now, as I'm going to prowling around Galway every night looking for a guy punching another guy in the nose.

I'm the hero Galway deserves, but not the hero Galway needs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why would you want to break a persons nose?

Get back to the trees you sub human animal! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Well, you've ruined it now, as I'm going to prowling around Galway every night looking for a guy punching another guy in the nose.

I'm the hero Galway deserves, but not the hero Galway needs right now.

Be careful, Moo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 ertred

Arrest you, detain you, fingerprint you, photograph you, charge you, get you remanded in custody for a week, get you before the circuit, have you jailed for two years for an unprovoked assault.... I hope you enjoy the night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Be careful, Moo!

I'll be careful. I'll keep a close eye on the trees. I don't know why, but I've a feeling that when he attacks, he'll come from the trees...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

ertred wrote: »
    Arrest you, detain you, fingerprint you, photograph you, charge you, get you remanded in custody for a week, get you before the circuit, have you jailed for two years for an unprovoked assault.... I hope you enjoy the night:)

That's a good answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You could become "The phantom Cracker", dress in black and sneak up to people in dark alleyways, rabbit punch to the nose and away on your toes. Slight problem is the first person you try it on might just go "ow" and then kick the b0llix out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The secret to getting away with it is to do it in a country where people can beat seven shades of **** out of each other with hurls in the middle of the capital city without being interrupted.

In a country like that do you really think the police force are going to come looking for you??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave Galway alone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

CCTV, big brother is always watching. I'm sure your movements could be traced.
    You have a pps number or phone or parents, it takes very little time to find out who you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Someone's been watching Fight Club without parental supervision again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Only way to get away with breaking someone's nose, is by punching them in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What makes you think the guards give a f**k?

They're too busy protecting scum like Ahern and Biffo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

That's a good answer.

It's also fiction. You'd get away with it easily, actually - look at Facekicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Break someone's nose - small potatoes.
    If you really want to impress us with something, try robbing a bank and get away with it.

It's also fiction. You'd get away with it easily, actually - look at Facekicker.

Funnily enough Facekicker got thrown in prison for what he said. (in cyberboards.ieworld)

The answer I responded to seemed plausible in some way but realistically you can just make up an address and name so your not going to be held in detention for 2 weeks or whatever (it's not the north).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Judge Fahy in Galway would eat ya for breakfast OP

You should read the court reports in Galway Advertiser, not a week goes by without some young lad or lady ripped to shreds in the courtroom with a humiliating rant

Galway is not the place to land yourself in District Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Only way to get away with breaking someone's nose, is by punching them in the dark.

How about leaving broken signposts on footpaths for joggers?

• Advertisement

how do the Guards know who I am?

can you actually do this and get away with it quite easily.

Did you realy think you can't be arrested if the garda does not know you? :confused:

The answer I responded to seemed plausible in some way but realistically you can just make up an address and name so your not going to be held in detention for 2 weeks or whatever (it's not the north).

You can make up a name if you want but you will be held until the gardai are satisfied with your ID, that means verifying your details how ever long it takes, the faster you tell the truth the faster they let you go. Simple really.

To multiple posts,
    say I'm arrested, give a 'real' name, 'real' (not Galway) address but I can easily never be in Galway again to realistically never be seen by any arresting Guard again. Say even the Guards have to drop you off at a specific place and you say you can't remember exactly where your friend lives. Are they going to drive you home to Waterford, even if they did that, pick someone you don't know that well, person goes yeah he lives here, they call with a warrant a few weeks later, person you don't know that well goes yeah he doesn't live here anymore.
    All the while your living it up back in Dundalk and the Guards will never know.
    I'm sorry okay, it just seems like you could get away with it way too easily with little forward thought or planning.
    That's the point like.

To multiple posts,
    say I'm arrested, give a 'real' name, 'real' (not Galway) address but I can easily never be in Galway again to realistically never be seen by any arresting Guard again. Say even the Guards have to drop you off at a specific place and you say you can't remember exactly where your friend lives. Are they going to drive you home to Waterford, even if they did that, pick someone you don't know that well, person goes yeah he lives here, they call with a warrant a few weeks later, person you don't know that well goes yeah he doesn't live here anymore.
    I'm sorry okay, it just seems like you could get away with it way too easily with little forward thought or planning.
    That's the point like.

You cannot get away with it, if you are arrested to confirm your identity then that is what they will do, every address you give they will contact the local gardai to find out if they know you and get them to call to the address to check it out.
    The more suspicious you make them the longer they will hold you. Why do you think it's this easy to give a false name?
    You will have to convince them you are who you say you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

To multiple posts,
    That's the point like.

They wont let you go anywhere until they're 100% sure of your identity and address details. That's assuming they arrest you as the victim decides to press charges. If the victim doesn't press charges you'll quite likely be let go or worst case scenario given a ticket for Drunk & Disorderly / Affray.

RMD wrote: »
    They wont let you go anywhere until they're 100% sure of your identity and address details. That's assuming they arrest you as the victim decides to press charges. If the victim doesn't press charges you'll quite likely be let go or worst case scenario given a ticket for Drunk & Disorderly / Affray.

He will still need to confirm his details before he is let go. If he has no ID on him he will be taken to the station until they can confirm who he is.
    They have a computer system for a reason. It's pointless giving a false name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Teddy was assaulted on several occasions and never pressed or attempted to follow up with "tha pooolice"
    But if it's witnessed by an upstanding officer of the law, they WILL press charges, despite weather or not the victim wants.
    If it's young lads though, you're better off taking matter into your own hands.
    For example if you were battered by a group of lads in town, someone will probably know them. Track them down and confront the ring leader on their own. Let testosterone take over, and even if you're not the fighting type, you will get a sense of uncontrollable rage. You know the type of thing where you try to punch a wall ect.
    Not very law abiding now but it will have a better affect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Just so you know....a woman hit my car gave a real name, false address and false number to me, my cousin is a gardai, and had all her details within two hrs, including her employer.

OP, if you refuse to give your details they might reckon you're an IRA head and then the Superintendent is asking questions about you

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    You cannot get away with it, if you are arrested to confirm your identity then that is what they will do, every address you give they will contact the local gardai to find out if they know you and get them to call to the address to check it out.
    The more suspicious you make them the longer they will hold you. Why do you think it's this easy to give a false name?
    You will have to convince them you are who you say you are.
    RMD wrote: »

Okay, say I say my name is Philip John Murphy but my friends call me John, the Garda writes out the charge as John Murphy, say I'm actually called Phil by everyone I know, even as it's recorded as John or Phil Murphy my passport still might say Philip Murphy, it wouldn't be an exact match on the name anywhere, it's not like you're going to 'remember' your PPS number.
    Like I said, if this happened it would be in Galway, I'm from Waterford, even if the Garda physically drove all the way there I can easily go to any of my friends houses there, quite simply, the Garda calls to this house and says 'does Mr. Murphy live here', person your friends with says 'Yes', they release you from their custody because they have '100% established' who you are and where you live.
    A few weeks or months later a Garda calls with a summons, whoever answers at that address says he doesn't live here anymore, Garda says where's he gone, person that answers the door says 'I don't know.'
    Henceforth I've just gotten away with breaking someones nose and will in all likelihood never get caught for it, that's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

This would happen to you fromthetrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfmD1lgaLk

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Thats what sneaky sh*ts get.

Okay, say I say my name is Philip John Murphy but my friends call me John, the Garda writes out the charge as John Murphy, say I'm actually called Phil by everyone I know, even as it's recorded as John or Phil Murphy my passport still might say Philip Murphy, it wouldn't be an exact match on the name anywhere, it's not like you're going to 'remember' your PPS number.
    Like I said, if this happened it would be in Galway, I'm from Waterford, even if the Garda physically drove all the way there I can easily go to any of my friends houses there, quite simply, the Garda calls to this house and says 'does Mr. Murphy live here', person your friends with says 'Yes', they release you from their custody because they have '100% established' who you are and where you live.
    A few weeks or months later a Garda calls with a summons, whoever answers at that address says he doesn't live here anymore, Garda says where's he gone, person that answers the door says 'I don't know.'
    Henceforth I've just gotten away with breaking someones nose and will in all likelihood never get caught for it, that's my point.

You seem to be missing the point!
    If you have no Id on you then they have to verify who you are.
    You can give a wrong first name if you like but they will match you with surname, dob, pps number, phone number, tatoos what ever, it's not that easy to hide from them.
    They will keep calling with the summons until they eventually find you and they can call to your parents address.
    If the summons is for assault then the judge will issue an arrest warrant for you when you fail to turn up in court.

You seem to be missing the point!
    If you have no Id on you then they have to verify who you are.
    You can give a wrong first name if you like but they will match you with surname, dob, pps number, phone number, tatoos what ever, it's not that easy to hide from them.
    They will keep calling with the summons until they eventually find you and they can call to your parents address.
    If the summons is for assault then the judge will issue an arrest warrant for you when you fail to turn up in court.

I think you're missing my point, if the Garda doesn't physically know you in the first place, because you're from the other side of the country they have no realistic way of truly knowing who you are, that's the bottom line to me.
    We're not talking about well known criminals or IRA men, I'm talking about somebody who's not on PULSE or anything, essentially, an unknown.

Okay, somewhat fake name like I posted above (I could give you so many examples of Irish names where there is so much ambiguity even if you had spelled out the name it wouldn't be too crazy if you went it was actually something else you meant),
    who else can they talk to and verify if the rest of what you said is true or not, I'm bringing them to 'my house' where I actually just know one of the people there well, or a girl I know or anybody I know half well enough and not at all well enough where they obviously won't know my dob, pps number, phone number (who registers their phone as their actual name and address in the first place?) and if that person 'never' saw me again it wouldn't be impossible, don't have tatoos.

Just don't get how I can get caught.

By the way I've never been in a fight while out and about but I also carry nothing, I have cash and my smokes usually, sometimes my phone, that would be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

My uncle still has my nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Punch him in the back of nose so he won't see you.

I think you're missing my point, if the Garda doesn't physically know you in the first place, because you're from the other side of the country they have no realistic way of truly knowing who you are, that's the bottom line to me.

It's their job to find out who you are and they will find out before they release you.
    Do you think they will just let you go without knowing who you are or where you live? If this were the case everyone would give a false name.
    They could ask someone to come to the station and verify who you are and they would have to have to have ID, would someone lie for you and take the fallout?

Is your phone not in your name? My phone is registered in my name and at my address. I assume you have a passport btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can confirm that this bloke didnt do anytime for this crime
    http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/attacker-broke-woman-victims-nose-court-told-2095729.html

So you probably would get away with it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

If they can't find you on their system they'll confront you with it. Believe it or not, An Garda Siochana are somewhat professional, they don't write down nicknames, its the full details you provide. If, for any reason, these details are false or misaccurate, you can be VERY sure it would be a source of suspicion for the arresting officers. For something as minor as a broken nose? Totally not worth the extra trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

facemelter wrote: »
    My uncle still has my nose.
    Gaah! I'm going to be awake all night trying to remember where I heard that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Break someones nose?
    You will be traced, identified, hunted down, arrested at work and humiliated (losing your job) given a bit of a roughing up in the van, then same again in a cell, you will be intimidated and detained as long as possible, dragged before a small fat ignorant little judge who will berate you and your family, you will get a small custodial sentence, a large fine, a criminal record which will prevent you from having a career, erase any possibility of ease of travel /emigration and haunt you till you die in squalor after being sued by the victim for every penny your family has, then be buried in a paupers grave with no marker and be forgotten by all.

However if you screw over the entire country with ineptitude and sheer greed, lose billions of other peoples money and drive the entire economy to breaking point through intentional fraud you can retire to Florida to play golf with your buddies on a generous pension without a care in the world leaving your nestegg secure offshore.
    Welcome to Ireland.

It's their job to find out who you are and they will find out before they release you.
    Do you think they will just let you go without knowing who you are or where you live? If this were the case everyone would give a false name.
    They could ask someone to come to the station and verify who you are and they would have to have to have ID, would someone lie for you and take the fallout?

Is your phone not in your name? My phone is registered in my name and at my address. I assume you have a passport btw.

I know like,
    but it's also their job to move on the drunks and junkies from hanging around begging and getting off their head on the street, that doesn't happen.

Look, my point is, you've told them who you are and where you live, and in this hypotheticalness they have actually brought you to the the address you gave to verify as such. You are released from their custody and in reality they have had no real proof of who you are other than some person you know who answered the door and went 'yep'. You've gotten away with it, I just don't see how you can't.

Just to say my phone will never be registered in my name and address, same as my email address, my age and dob when I'm giving any information online will not be mine and different every time if I'm 'required' to enter it, don't upload photos of myself online, I know I'm getting off the point but I find the whole thing creepy and wierd, people who know me in real life know me online, I don't see any need to load up any detail of mine to people I don't know just to say.

I know like,
    but it's also their job to move on the drunks and junkies from hanging around begging and getting off their head on the street, that doesn't happen.

Look, my point is, you've told them who you are and where you live, and in this hypotheticalness they have actually brought you to the the address you gave to verify as such. You are released from their custody and in reality they have had no real proof of who you are other than some person you know who answered the door and went 'yep'. You've gotten away with it, I just don't see how you can't.

Just to say my phone will never be registered in my name and address, same as my email address, my age and dob when I' giving any information online will not be mine and different every time if I'm 'required' to enter it, don't upload photos of myself online, I know I'm getting off the point but I find the whole thing creepy and wierd, people who know me in real life know me online, I don't see any need to load up any detail of mine to people I don't know.

You might tell them but they will need ID and they will not be bringing you anywhere except to the garda station until you provide proof of who you are.
    Can you not understand they will not release you without ID. Do you have a passport to show them?

I dunno about your phone but I had to give a copy of my passport every time I changed my phone.
    Do you think your ID is that much of a secret?

You have not stumbled across some genius scheme OP

If this worked every drunk found scrapping around Eyre Sq would say they are not from the city and use their friends to lie for them

It just won't work, why are you so convinced it will?

Nobody is driving you from Galway to Waterford
    You stay in Mill St until you identify yourself
    If you want to show yourself before Judge Fahy that can be arranged too but she doesn't accept nonsense

You might tell them but they will need ID and they will not be bringing you anywhere except to the garda station until you provide proof of who you are.
    Can you not understand they will not release you without ID. Do you have a passport to show them?

I dunno about your phone but I had to give a copy of my passport every time I changed my phone.
    Do you think your ID is that much of a secret?

You needed your passport to get a phone? :confused:
    I lose my phone a couple of times a year and whenever I lose it I walk in and say give me the cheapest phone money can buy, and I get one for less than 20 euro. :)
    Are you suppose to have ID either on you or at your address for any situation the government requires you too, surely your not required to, we don't live in a police state, not yet anyway (should we?).
    Again, to be clear, I really have nothing to hide, my identity would probably be easy enough to steal if someone really tried I'm just saying I simply don't want anyone to know me online unless I know them in real life, and I think that's the way it is.
    I know a lot of people who have no passport, don't drive so have no drivers license and don't have an age card, what is left, give them an ESB bill, oh, but that's not in my name, I just think there is no way you can't get away with it, even if you didn't plan out how to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thebankers

If by "getting away with it" by having a criminal record is ok with you, knock yourself out champ.

You needed your passport to get a phone? :confused:
    I lose my phone a couple of times a year and whenever I lose it I walk in and say give me the cheapest phone money can buy, and I get one for less than 20 euro. :)
    Are you suppose to have ID either on you or at your address for any situation the government requires you too, surely your not required to, we don't live in a police state, not yet anyway (should we?).
    Again, to be clear, I really have nothing to hide, my identity would probably be easy enough to steal if someone really tried I'm just saying I simply don't want anyone to know me online unless I know them in real life, and I think that's the way it is.
    I know a lot of people who have no passport, don't drive so have no drivers license and don't have an age card, what is left, give them an ESB bill, oh, but that's not in my name, I just think there is no way you can't get away with it, even if you didn't plan out how to get away with it.

I have a bill phone and yes I have to give a copy of my passport and a recent bill to prove my address.
    Birth cert, everyone has one of them.
    You have to provide ID to a garda if requested to do so and they can hold you until you provide it and they are satisfied with who you are.
    You cannot commit a crime and give a false name and think you will get away with it seriously. If you asked a friend to verify who you were would they lie for you?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Nearly all assaults I've witnessed have not resulted in charges. Usually the gardai wont be around, and you would need to go looking for them.

People either shake it off and look to hit back if they arent seriously hurt, or if its bad enough I assume they would be out to the hospital then a decision on pressing charges.

At the end of the day the gardai are ****ing useless. It all depends on the circumstances and who is involved what happens after.

If you were smart though you would get away with it very easily.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

thebankers wrote: »
    If by "getting away with it" by having a criminal record is ok with you, knock yourself out champ.

I assume he means not getting caught/charged. Remember the gardai wont likely lift you if they dont see the incident and there is drink involved.

All depends though, some people will go to the gardai afterwards if you break their nose and I wouldnt blame them. Others wont. If there is permanent damage I assume the gardai would be involved in most cases. But many people can take a kicking and have no lasting affect. Just all depends really.

Myself I always wondered if you had no record, or ID and gave a fake name/address or even none. What would they do? They have to release you after a certain time anyway.

I have a bill phone and yes I have to give a copy of my passport and a recent bill to prove my address.
    Birth cert, everyone has one of them.
    You have to provide ID to a garda if requested to do so and they can hold you until you provide it and they are satisfied with who you are.
    You cannot commit a crime and give a false name and think you will get away with it seriously. If you asked a friend to verify who you were would they lie for you?

Fine, what if the Garda requests ID and you simply don't have ID, I don't have my birth cert, everyone has one somewhere, where though?
    I'm being serious, how really can they prove I'm me?
    I'm saying the calling to a house and someone at the door going yes he lives here and his name is Phil is exactly how they ensure the person is who they are, I've never heard anywhere of them going to larger extents, and how would they if they could?" and weeks/months later when the warrant comes 'oh, he doesn't live here', (maybe because I know the people who did it).
    It's quite so ridiculously plausible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement