Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Airport - mega merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the 1950's but certainly Cork airport was built in the wrong place.

If it was built north of Cork it would have removed the need for Kerry, Waterford and Shannon airports. (And use the money instead towards the M20, N22 and a full ring N40).

Is it true that a certain ex taoiseach ( whose mansion was sold recently ) used to own the lands that Cork airport is now built on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

gifted wrote: »
    Is it true that a certain ex taoiseach ( whose mansion was sold recently ) used to own the lands that Cork airport is now built on?
    That wouldn't surprise me. It was an open secret that the certain ex Taoiseach also had an interest in land coincidentally later used to build the M50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

mhaise wrote: »
    I've used this airport many times and found it to very good
    I don't think anybody ever had any issues with GA itself. It was great for handy flights or even connecting to a flight at Dublin. Always had a good experience there when I used it.
    The problem is it was a money pit for government handouts and the subsidies were impossible to justify either morally or economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Storm 10 wrote: »
    My Father worked on the laying of a test runway on the Headford Road before Shannon was chosen, they put down a section of a concrete, sadly over a few weeks it sank as they did not have the knowledge that exists today how to deal with the sinking concrete, dont ask me what year that was as I forget.

That location would have been great if it worked as there is flat land for miles around.

I knew a builder who worked on the Dunne's project for the centre on the Headford Roads. Several piles driven into ground vanished without trace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The airport was always in the wrong location anyway, it should have been built on the ex RAF field in Oranmore as originally proposed during the 1970's.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭hopperdavy

We are trying to form a group to preserve Galway Airport by making it into a National Aeronautics Museum ,
    We propose to petition the Goverment and the Defence forces to Move all of the items from the Museum In Casement Aerodrome in Dublin to Galway , as it stands the public have to right of access to all the National treasure which is only seen by the Chosen few .

We also intend to run flight Sim courses there also, It will become a major tourist attraction .

I personally am committed to this , I have the aviation , and journalistic Skills to make this happen , this coupled with my connections in the Defence Forces and the Government will ensure that this does get off the ground .

I will also pledge my time and effort over the first year of operation for a much reduced fee .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

hopperdavy wrote: »
    We are trying to form a group to preserve Galway Airport by making it into a National Aeronautics Museum ,
    We propose to petition the Goverment and the Defence forces to Move all of the items from the Museum In Casement Aerodrome in Dublin to Galway , as it stands the public have to right of access to all the National treasure which is only seen by the Chosen few .

We also intend to run flight Sim courses there also, It will become a major tourist attraction .

I personally am committed to this , I have the aviation , and journalistic Skills to make this happen , this coupled with my connections in the Defence Forces and the Government will ensure that this does get off the ground .

I will also pledge my time and effort over the first year of operation for a much reduced fee .

best of luck to ye.

Who are ye? Why would the museumbe moved from Dublin? What does reduced fee mean? and what help are ye looking for?

hopperdavy wrote: »

How does any of this keep GA as a functioning airport?!?!
    You could put all this stuff in a barn anywhere in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭hopperdavy

Everyone knows that the airport will never reopen as a fully functioning airport again , its finished get over it .

Its time now to turn in into something else , ie the National Aviation Museum .this can also be the base for the new revived Salthill air show , as now established the FREE concept did not work so we will be hosting a paid ticket only display in the coming year .

We hope to hold this in august to coincide with the Races , we will have maximum footfall at that stage , This will put us back on the map for sure .

The proposed Museum and interactive flight sim centre will be a pivitol part of the Galway tourist industry with visitors being attracted from a world wide pool .

We know we will never reach the employment figures at the airport reached at the height of the Tigers roar but its all about sustainability and progress ,
    We dont need half a dozen managers on 100k each running the show , we can do it ourselves .
    Let the people with the aviation expertise take this on and see the whole thing take off .

If you want to join our group or contribute in any way . PM me and we can meet up .

Dave .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sounds like fantasy to me, I'd wish you the best of luck but I have no particular interest in an aviation museum and wouldn't at all like to think my taxes in anyway contributed to it's "sustainability" as I do not believe it is a sustainable concept without some sort of handout cradling the bulk of the running costs.

If you can pull it off as an entirely private venture with no gov. handouts then best of luck, if you require funding from the taxpayer then I hope it never ever gets off the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

Hopperdavy is a known troll. As such anything he posts is pure fantasy. Don't encourage him. Hop off Davy. This thread is for grown ups.

Mind you his fantasy is no more absurd than some being suggested by people who are actually serious.

As for airport it seems there are moves to keep it operating as an airfield. There's a certain inevitability to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

and now the broke City Council want to buy a share in Knock airport :eek:
    The Council could become an equity stakeholder in Knock Airport if a recommendation in the Draft Budget is adopted.
    The City Manager has allocated €50k in the Budget to take a stake in the airport provided that all other local authorities in the West also invest the same.
    It’s hoped that passenger numbers at the airport will increase to 1.2m in the next five years, resulting in an economic spin-off for Galway.
    http://connachttribune.ie/city-chief-defends-proposed-rates-for-empty-properties/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Only happen in Ireland, they bought an Airport and then go and take a share in another one.:eek:

snubbleste wrote: »
    It’s hoped that passenger numbers at the airport will increase to 1.2m in the next five years, resulting in an economic spin-off for Galway.
    Was this market research done by the same guys who said they'd fill a park n ride bus from GA every 30 minutes 7 days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hurler on the Ditch

Plant trees on it to make it sustainable!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh, you gone done it now
    The flyboys will be down on you like a Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

biko wrote: »
    Oh, you gone done it now
    The flyboys will be down on you like a Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka.
    Only an aerosexual would know of such an obscure aircraft!:D You've outed yourself.

As for Galway airport, well I have an idea. :P It has a runway and hangars and a terminal building. It seems to me that it could easily be used as........wait for it.................... an airfield where planes come and go. :rolleyes:Just throwing it out there!

Besides that's exactly the plan for it, if the info I hear is correct. Early next year I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

That is great news lets hope that the future of the Airport can now be secured, when you look at all that happens in Galway its only right we should have an Airport, The large multi-national factories based in Galway were regular users of the Airport so they must be delighted, we have applied for the City of Culture sure an Airport would help. Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Pity its absolute rubbish though.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Pity its absolute rubbish though.

Please do explain

Where's the story to back up the picture in that link?

The Galway Independent puts a picture of a Cessna Citation coming in to land (anywhere) and claims the airport is suddenly reopen to commercial air traffic all of a sudden and everybody believes them.

Awful journalism.

The airport is in fact open to corporate aircraft under a deal it signed with Weston Airport last July.

Don't you think the newspaper would give details of the airlines serving a reopened Carnmore, the destinations served, flight frequencies etc.

Nothing to see here. A private aircraft flying in from Stuttgart does not mean the airport is open for commercial traffic.

Even a quick Google search reveals nothing about the place reopening to passengers. You'd think, at the very least, one or two press releases on such an announcement might crop up there.

Private aircraft such as executive aircraft operated by companies in my book are commercial, either way its open for what ever business comes their way. Jez don't be so negative

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Private aircraft such as executive aircraft operated by companies in my book are commercial, either way its open for what ever business comes their way. Jez don't be so negative

Thats fine in your book.

But in general (and aviation) parlance. A commercial aircraft and airport is one that is open to commercial airlines serving passengers.

Its nothing to do with being negative. Just honest and realistic.

Carnmore may have a licence to handle passengers but as long as there are no airlines flying in there it cannot be described as an airport handling commercial air traffic by any stretch of the imagination. It is little more than a small version of Hawarden as things stand.

And even that is a flattering description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

A private jet on charter with people on board is commercial. the fact its now open can only be good for the City, lets all wish them well for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Lapin wrote: »
    Where's the story to back up the picture in that link?

It's been on GBFM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Chicken1 wrote: »
    That is great news lets hope that the future of the Airport can now be secured, when you look at all that happens in Galway its only right we should have an Airport, The large multi-national factories based in Galway were regular users of the Airport so they must be delighted, we have applied for the City of Culture sure an Airport would help. Well done.

It still isnt capable of landing anything larger than 50 seater aircraft.

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's been on GBFM

What did they say?

JillyQ wrote: »
    It still isnt capable of landing anything larger than 50 seater aircraft.

Nope when Aer Aran operated they used ATR 72 aircraft which carried 72 pax and I flew to
    Malaga in BAE 146 jet which carried 100 passengers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, when will I be able to get the Galway-London flight again?! :D

Advertisement