Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Airport - mega merge

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

dloob wrote: »
    According to the city tribune and Cllr Ollie Crowe the airport park and ride is now a "fiasco" and losing 4000 a week.

https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/345280752830779392
    Oh FFS Crowe, please don't make me agree with you on something you slimy sh1tebag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why is Ollie Crowe even commenting on it? He represents City Central. Are the brothers working together, someone putting pressure on him to talk :confused:

I think it's disgusting that the Park n Ride went ahead with taxpayer funds given that a Council report stated it would be unfeasible. Maybe it is something the Comptroller&Auditor General should investigate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I wonder did they even do a basic survey to see would it be used.
    Apparently they did.
    (The survey said it would be a flop and they went ahead anyway, but that's a different story, eh?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why is Ollie Crowe even commenting on it? He represents City Central. Are the brothers working together, someone putting pressure on him to talk :confused:

I think it's disgusting that the Park n Ride went ahead with taxpayer funds given that a Council report stated it would be unfeasible. Maybe it is something the Comptroller&Auditor General should investigate.

Was/has there really been council funds used on this? Surely they arent really that stupid.

Both Galway Councils own a part of Galway Airport and have contributed a combined €100k towards the ParknRide and the National Transport Authority has provided €120k

• Advertisement

Both Galway Councils own a part of Galway Airport and have contributed a combined €100k towards the ParknRide and the National Transport Authority has provided €120k

My God, do you know was there a vote taken on this and if so who was yay or nay, would be interesting keeping it in mind for next years local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I would imagine there was a vote taken, but contrary to the report that said it would fail the councillors probably wanted to be seen to be supporting the great white elephant that is Galway Airport, knowing full well they were pishing €50k each down the drain. But hey, they also got the same amount from the Govt to pish down the drain so it was probably worth it to them....

Roll on the next white elephant, the Oranmore or is it Roscam railway station..:mad:

Cheers, so the much maligned Cllr Connelly voted against it as did Nuala Nolan, Hildegarde abstained, Peter Keane was vocal against the use of a particular fund for the 50000 to be taken from but im assuming he was eventually in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

CANCELLED.

What a shock.
    This hairbrained scheme really took the biscuit. What an absolute disgrace that it was ever initiated. Infuriating waste of money.

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/2532-galway-airport-park-n-ride-cancelled
    MONDAY, 16 SEPTEMBER 2013 09:10
    Galway Airport Park n' Ride cancelled
    Galway Bay fm newsroom - The Park n' Ride service, which has been operating from Galway Airport in Carnmore into the city since May has ceased.

The owner of the bus company which was operating the service, Buslink, says the Board of Galway Airport has taken the decision to end the service.

The scheme was due to operate on a trial for 6 months to see if the demand existed, however the take up for the service was less than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So I wonder if they're giving 1/3 of the 50k back?

Does anyone remember Joe Tansey stating that the Council had ordered a report on a potential park and ride in Ballybrit area (possibly airport) in the past? The conclusion was that it was not feasible. The report was not made public afaik

Who do I rant to about the Council being reckless with taxpayer funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Does anyone remember Joe Tansey stating that the Council had ordered a report on a potential park and ride in Ballybrit area (possibly airport) in the past? The conclusion was that it was not feasible. The report was not made public afaik

Who do I rant to about the Council being reckless with taxpayer funds?

Any links to reports on this report...seeing as we don;t get to see the actual report.

vkid wrote: »
    Any links to reports on this report...seeing as we don;t get to see the actual report.
    I remember distinctly that Tansey was on local radio discussing the Christmas Park n Ride tenders. He said the airport tender was not efficient. He also said when the conversation expanded to the context of a year round Park n Ride that the Airport was not feasible. I mentioned it earlier this year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83163792&postcount=73
    Maybe Tansey was not supposed to mention it, hopefully someone else can back this up.

Looks like it's being mentioned here:
    http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1329-park-ride-service-from-galway-airport-is-axed
    “When we began to look at the airport when it lost its PSO [subsidised] routes, the local authority was considering a park and ride on a greenfield site off the motorway that would have cost millions"

Taxpayers may buy white elephant
    An airport board member said he understands discussions are ongoing with a view to the local authorities buying outright, or taking a greater shareholding in the airport
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1524-chamber-denies-trying-to-offload-galway-airport-to-councils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Would be an utter disgrace if the taxpayer has to buy this,. Its not viable and should be sold to the highest bidder before any further public money goes into it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

id love if they bought a white elephant. A crappy air strip i just can't see any reasons to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

At least we might all get a go on the elephant... Sure, it could be another selling point for 'The Gathering' in Galway.

Come to the City of Tribes, and ride around an abandoned airstrip on an albino pachyderm. $$$ Cha Ching!

Dunno, I can see both Councils voting to spend money on increasing their shareholding in this private entity. There is nobody to stop them or shout "where is the cost benefit analysis?"

• Advertisement

Taxpayers buy white elephant
    The two local authorities have purchased the airport in Carnmore in a joint venture costing €1.1m in capital funding.
    The news was confirmed at a special meeting of the City Council last evening.
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/3179-city-and-county-councils-purchase-galway-airport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Taxpayers buy white elephant

White elephant that won't be an airport by the end of next week. The aviation license expires next week, after which the flying club and skydivers won't be able to operate from it.

Also the price is ridiculously low, they're getting it for less than the price of agricultural land.

What do they plan to do with it?
    Is it a bargain purchase of land for social housing :confused:

There were suggestions that it could be used for a new business park over the summer (no links, I just remember thinking it was a bit weird that they mentioned that).

There's also the travel hub mentioned in the "smarter" travel plan.

Also, it frees up space for a slightly different route for a certain road which can not be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

So what is to become of the airport now? I wish it was going to get up and going (preferably with a proper runway so more airlines could use it), but it is not clear to me what the Councils' plans for it are.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1105/484710-galway-airport-purchase/

It looks like a big hard-stand.

Big thread on it already

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

Big thread on it already

Could you link that thread Snubbleste? Had a look around before posting this thread and couldn't find anything... Thanks

Giant hard-stand. They're going to sub-contract providing a certain accommodation option for councils all over BMW. :D

• Advertisement

berrecka wrote: »
    Could you link that thread Snubbleste? Had a look around before posting this thread and couldn't find anything... Thanks

It's been on the front page all day, so you couldn't have looked very hard.

Galway Airport gone........

Advertisement