Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough ree monster Tri

Options
  • 04-06-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this race before? Is it a fast course , good atmosphere, what kind of numbers usually race it each year, worth doing??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

subscriber wrote: »
    Anyone done this race before? Is it a fast course , good atmosphere, what kind of numbers usually race it each year, worth doing??

Cheers

Very handy. Lake is grand. Roads secondary like the middle of Athy, nothing major. Run flat, slight drag. Good club event, was held in Aug last year, food after too. 150-200 athletes, transition on grass. Should be very fast. Friendly buzz. Nice fluorescent orange tshirt also!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Cheers dude!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

mrbungle wrote: »
    Very handy. Lake is grand. Roads secondary like the middle of Athy, nothing major. Run flat, slight drag. Good club event, was held in Aug last year, food after too. 150-200 athletes, transition on grass. Should be very fast. Friendly buzz. Nice fluorescent orange tshirt also!

Great to hear, mrs jones is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seeryd

Hi All,

I am involved with Athlone Tri Club who host this race and we are putting in a huge effort to ensure that this race is our best one yet. The description above is very fair and we are looking at about 170 race entries so far this year.

The only difference is this years t-shirt is black and is a must have!! Hope to see you Saturday. Best of luck with season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

any idea how many will be doing the shorter swim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 seeryd

There are roughly 40 doing the tri-a-tri swim at the moment. It is a nice relaxed swim / atmosphere so one of the betters ones for beginners. Just hoping for weather at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

ok great, I did a try a tri last month but that swim was in the pool, this might be a good opp to try out an open water swim and T1 before doing a proper sprint distance

I think weather is promised fairly miserable for this event. Do the organisers have anything planned if the weather does not hold off for the event? Will the swim be shortened or is there a chance of the event being cancelled?? Don't want to travel to roscommon unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

subscriber wrote: »
    I think weather is promised fairly miserable for this event. Do the organisers have anything planned if the weather does not hold off for the event? Will the swim be shortened or is there a chance of the event being cancelled?? Don't want to travel to roscommon unnecessarily.

Weather isn't looking too bad for tomorrow according to Met Eireann at the moment maybe a few scattered showers forecast but otherwise fine. Lets hope it stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

So how did this race go today? I did it the two previous years & it was my favourite sprint race of last year. I would love to have done it again but it was too soon after Athy & I'm off to Poland in the morning. Why was it moved from the end of August to now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

PWEI wrote: »
    So how did this race go today? I did it the two previous years & it was my favourite sprint race of last year. I would love to have done it again but it was too soon after Athy & I'm off to Poland in the morning. Why was it moved from the end of August to now?

I was down watching. Great weather for it, as my pink forehead will testify to. Not a promptly run event :rolleyes: but all seemed to go well and some very good racing. David Sheridan from Longford tri took the win from Dessie Duffy and Brian Harris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

PWEI wrote: »

I was down watching. Great weather for it, as my pink forehead will testify to. Not a promptly run event :rolleyes: but all seemed to go well and some very good racing. David Sheridan from Longford tri took the win from Dessie Duffy and Brian Harris.

Indeed my wife did it and the only negative she had was it starting almost an hr late !

Absolutely top class event. Really friendly atmosphere all round, the route was very well marshalled at every junction and they had all traffic stopped for us as well. It has to be handed to athlone tri club, they did a fantastic job of organising this event. Similar to what elvis jones said, the only fault was that it was about an hour late kicking off but other than that everything was excellent. I taught the hot food at the finish line was very good also, a choice between chicken or bolognese, there's not too many races where you would get that!!

The course was really fast as well, especially the bike. first 3km, the ground was a bit rough and uneven but the rest of the bike course made up for that, most was on a very flat surface. One bit of a hill at the start of the run but nothing to get upset about, kept us guessing anyway. Overall very happy with the event and the day, prob owed to that fact that i finally went sub 1:20 as well, but all in all, very good. I would rate it up there as in my top 3 races iv'e done soo far. Couldn't fault it, definitely be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Really great race and I think has the potential to grow and be one of the more popular sprints in the country. Yes as mentioned it was late starting ( due to buoys being moved I believe) however these things can happen.
    However - easy reg/ decent goodbag + tshirt/ entry not too expensive/ very scenic/ well marshalled and setup including transistion/ tents/ signage on course/ finish line / drinks and fruits at finish/ hot food at end / access from different parts of the country/ try a tri shorter swim for newbies /and sunny weather - cant beat it. Well done athlone tri club!

Advertisement