Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Local Area Plan - Proposal for Charlesland to become part of Kilcoole?

Options
  • 04-06-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has heard about this or knows any more about it. I read about it in the Wicklow Times this evening after my next door neighbour mentioned it to me.

Essentially from what I understand, Councillors are preparing for a new Local Area plan, the current one expiring in 2013. They are looking at the possibilities of creating a combined plan with Kilcoole. What jumped out at me was the fact that some councillors looking to develop one plan for Delgany and Greystones (minus Charlesland) and an additional one for Charlesland and Kilcoole.

Reading between the lines, does this mean that those same councillors wish to eliminate Charlesland from the Greystones map altogether?

Not looking to provoke a discussion around is Charlesland really Greystones as I know that discussion has been had before. WHat I AM looking for is any information as to what the implications would be - eg in terms of school access etc.

FInally and for your info, there are to be public meetings on June 13th (Scout Den Kilcoole) and 14th (Town Council Offices) - one of which I hope to attend.
    Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I don't see it as a goer as far as schools are concerned. The primary school in kilcoole is already over subscribed. The two new primary schools in greystones were built to take the kids from the new developments ( including charlesland). If charlesland were kilcoole then it would cause problems. It would mean charlesland children could go to the vec in kilcoole but then why build a new secondary school here then? And could the vec take them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

It doesnt seem to say anything like that in the plan?

More along the lines that additional house has been built in Kilcoole and residents are travelling to greystones to use amenities there ratheer than local ones.

There's also suggestion of additional village centres to promote commercial growth in the area, or building on the greystones village.

They won't move charlesland into kilcoole but they may make the LAP one bigger one, economy to scale and all that lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It doesnt seem to say anything like that in the plan?

Yeah I was really really confused when I read the WCC documentation - nothing about Charlesland becoming part of Kilcoole - but maybe there was something in the Wicklow Times suggesting this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EllieD

Hi All, thanks for your responses.

Mango Salsa thanks also for your helpful link. Indeed in the Wicklow Times there was a reference to opinions from our local councillors who spoke more specifically about Charlesland to be included in Kilcoole (supported by some councillors whose names escape me) or to remain in Greystones (supported by Derek Mitchell). It made me anxious as to the political element of it not referenced in your links and possibly to be made clearer at the public meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TychoBrailleur

Here is the excerpt I think EllieD is referring to in the WT (5th June) (Article New local area plan - could Greystones/Delgany combine?, p.19), for reference:
    Cllr Grainne McLoughlin pointed out that with Charlesland now included in Kilcoole it now had the largest population and that it was different to Greystones/Delgany. (...) Cllr Derek Mitchell would oppose anything that did not preserve the green belt between the town and village. He thought that it was unnecessary to put Charlesland into Kilcoole.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

funny, but is there must be some voice from behind the shoulder speaking to Cllr's...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

tp25 wrote: »
    funny, but is there must be some voice from behind the shoulder speaking to Cllr's...

???

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    ???

Someone from Greystones/Delgany isn't very happy about Charlesland

I'm talking about this reference:

Quote:
    Cllr Grainne McLoughlin pointed out that with Charlesland now included in Kilcoole it now had the largest population and that it was different to Greystones/Delgany. (...)

For funding only i would hazard a guess, your address will still be greystones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 walnut grove

It may have something to do with keeping the crime statistics of greystones down. Each call the cops and fire brigades get is logged with the cso. Low crime in the stones and delgany not only keeps the posh ppl happy, but it's also good for tourism pathetic really. Eden gate will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

It may have something to do with keeping the crime statistics of greystones down. Each call the cops and fire brigades get is logged with the cso. Low crime in the stones and delgany not only keeps the posh ppl happy, but it's also good for tourism pathetic really. Eden gate will be next.
    i wonder is this the same reason the tidy towns seem to end their activities around burnaby park shoreline area and dont venture up the farankelly rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Maudi wrote: »
    i wonder is this the same reason the tidy towns seem to end their activities around burnaby park shoreline area and dont venture up the farankelly rd?

Last year they were picking litter up all the way down farankelly rd from shorline To charlesland.

These people are volunteers and do a lot of tidying up over a wide area. Did you ever think of volunteering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

These people are volunteers and do a lot of tidying up over a wide area. Did you ever think of volunteering ?
    i do some old folks call and chat hours..i volunteer also at an animal shelter and have done lots of childrens charity work..dont really have any time left after that..you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

What this thread really comes down to is -

People in Charlesland think they should be in Greystones,
    People in Greystones don't care about Charlesland as long as its somewhere else.

Moving it to Kilcoole won't solve anything, it was poorly planned and implemented and now the surrounding towns are having to deal with the increased population and the strain this brings.

People in Greystones don't care about Charlesland as long as its somewhere else.

Moving it to Kilcoole won't solve anything, it was poorly planned and implemented and now the surrounding towns are having to deal with the increased population and the strain this brings.

Please speak for yourself only. That is a very general statement which can hardly be backed up by fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Please speak for yourself only. That is a very general statement which can hardly be backed up by fact.

Am I the only person who likes living here? I would consider my town to be greystones as it's the closest centre to me. Why wouldn't greystones want to be associated with it? I'm not sure if I'm being very naive but it's a lovely estate

audreyp wrote: »
    Am I the only person who likes living here? I would consider my town to be greystones as it's the closest centre to me. Why wouldn't greystones want to be associated with it? I'm not sure if I'm being very naive but it's a lovely estate

I would consider Charlesland as part of Greystones. ( I don't live in Charlesland )

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

People in Charlesland think they should be are in Greystones,
    People in Greystones Mr Blandpebbles doesn't care about Charlesland as long as its somewhere else.

Now all tidied up and corrected for you.

Charlesland is a great place to live in Greystones - definitely one of the most well maintained and friendliest estates :)

• Advertisement

They call that an FYP :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would consider Charlesland as part of Greystones. ( I don't live in Charlesland )

I can't see what the big deal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

They call that an FYP :D

:D lol - fixed your P????

dubsgirl wrote: »
    :D lol - fixed your P????
    post......

Farrankelly Rd has not been handed over to the Council yet. That is why the road barrier hasn't been replaced after being hit by a car, and also the reason why Wicklow C.C. do not grit the road during the snow and also the reason why they are not responsible for the litter. There is also a 5 acre site there for a new Garda Station as well but that will never be built now.

farrankelly road has afaik but the link road has not.

Afaik ?What is that Matt?

as far as i know.

Ahh Thanks, That's a new one for me :) nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

As someone that does not have a clue about this, a friend was talking to Derek Mitchell this morning. He said (apparently, and using this as an example) that the idea was to group the area from Kilcoole- Charlesland-Greystones together so things like a cycle path could be made from Kilcoole to Greystones (and then to Bray separately). It would make funding easier for issues like this.

Like I said, I have no knowledge on this but surely this would be a good thing?

Advertisement