Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Play dead you idiot

• 04-06-2012 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Countless times in real life and in the movies people die because they don't have the cop on to play dead. One example being the school shootings in America, find some dead bodies in a corner and lie down beside them facing down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Countless times in real life and in the movies people die because they don't have the cop on to play dead. One example being the school shootings in America, find some dead bodies in a corner and lie down beside them facing down.

Thanks for the tip and em do you know something we dont :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

in real life and in the movies

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't know about you but when I'm going on a homicidal rampage I always bring extra rounds so when I'm done I can put one in every dead persons head just to be sure.

You can't be too careful these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What comes instinctively to a possum doesn't necessarily come instinctively to a human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Too late. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i think most people are too scared sh!tless to think rationally in a real life situation. in the movies they are paid to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Fight or flight or pretend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Anders Brevik shot people who were playing dead to make sure they were dead. Seems lunatics are becoming wise to this. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Yes, it's always easy to be rational when staring death in the face. It's a bitch when they notice you walking over to the bodies in the corner and lying face down though:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I think you'll find a few people survived school shootings by playing dead.

Also, latest examples I've read about have been in the Anders Breveik (spl?) attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Please never stop bequeathing the treasures of your mind to the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

If I ever go on a murderous shooting rampage and see some bad attempts at playing dead, I will give them credit and only shoot them once or twice below the waist. At least they showed some intelligence even if the execution wasn't the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd go and hide in the ladies room, all these mad fellas seem to be male so I'd be grand

If I ever go on a murderous shooting rampage and see some bad attempts at playing dead, I will give them credit and only shoot them once or twice below the waist. At least they showed some intelligence even the execution wasn't the best.

Here's another tip for you:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Zombies know when people are pretending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

:pac:

While it is fair to assume the OP was high when he posted this, this is actually how hundreds survived the Rwandan genocide. They lay besides the dead, under the dead, smeared themselves in blood....it worked.

OP is one of those people that shouts at the screen in the cinema...

"Ah, that submarine is so fake. Look, you can see the strings.
    AAAH An octopus!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Thanks for the tip scanlas, I will try it later. Just hope someone decides to run amok in rural Kildare tonight and shoots the wife and kids first, hate to waste this valuable piece of lifehacking wisdom. That or I'll ram the gun up their hole, I'll wait and see what the humour is like, you know yourself, never know if you'll be in a mello, play dead mood, or feeling feisty.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Fight or flight or pretend?

It's called fight, flight, or freeze.
    You just don't often hear about the 'freeze' part in pop psychology for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Important to note that anyone who has been unsuccessful with this tactic is not here to verbalise how bad this idea actually is :cool:

• Advertisement

This thread is hilarious. AH- where verbal diarrhea reigns supreme and never disappoints. :D

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    While it is fair to assume the OP was high when he posted this, this is actually how hundreds survived the Rwandan genocide. They lay besides the dead, under the dead, smeared themselves in blood....it worked.

It's a good thing that they did not watch the same movies as the OP! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That Norwegian guy said during his statement in court that he made sure to shoot bodies on the ground to make sure they weren't just playing dead. Goes to show you might be better off running your ass away from the maniac.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Shryke wrote: »
    That Norwegian guy said during his statement in court that he made sure to shoot bodies on the ground to make sure they weren't just playing dead. Goes to show you might be better off running your ass away from the maniac.

He was an evil genius though, thats the exception that proves the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

To quote Zombieland...
    Rule #4: Double tap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I would try to squirm my way into the dead bodies through the anal cavity. This, in theory, should protect me from anyone shooting the dead bodies.

But that's just me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's not exactly genius OP. You thought of it yourself in fairness :P

better still, just run around screaming like a wuss, zig zagging like hell and hope they are a crap shot. Or do a funny mime and hope they can't shoot for laughing. Seems about as good advice as the op. Better still, hide in a dark corner and take some quick internet lessons on your iphone in Aikido, and turn their gun on themselves using your new found Stephen Segal skills.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If I ever go on a murderous shooting rampage and see some bad attempts at playing dead, I will give them credit and only shoot them once or twice below the waist. At least they showed some intelligence even if the execution wasn't the best.
    ....and the soul searching starts here. We can count ourselves among those who history will judge for not stopping Scanlas's rampage in his local Tescos at this early stage. The signs are there for all to see...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Climb a tree. They never think to check the trees

Wibbs wrote: »
    ....and the soul searching starts here. We can count ourselves among those who history will judge for not stopping Scanlas's rampage in his local Tescos at this early stage. The signs are there for all to see...
    ah yeah, but in fairness them airsoft guns only bring up a bit of a welt when they hit you. Last time he went on a rampage the gards brought him home by the scruff of his neck and his Ma gave him a clip around the ear hole. I doubt he will do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Fight, Flee, Freeze

Seriously folks when did Freeze become a valid response to mortal danger?

theres an old quote that I'm trying to remember

if you corner a creature and it dosent attack you or try to run away from you, Its Lunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

OP I don't know about you but if it were me shooting the cnuts I went to school with I would put 10 rounds in each of the basterds dead or not. Damn sometimes I wish I had grown up if the land of the free.:)

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Fight, Flee, Freeze

Seriously folks when did Freeze become a valid response to mortal danger?

theres an old quote that I'm trying to remember

if you corner a creature and it dosent attack you or try to run away from you, Its Lunch

Zombie philosophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bit like the film platoon were the bloke that plays dr cox in scrubs hides behind dead body till next morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Lots of people play dead in these situations. In all wars or massacres. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't? It's a lottery. The survivors think it's because they were clever. Really it's just that the were lucky.

My attitude is to run like hell. They can't kill everyone and it's all random anyway.

In America, many people believe that everyone should carry a gun and that would prevent it. But experience proves otherwise. There was a situation where a hunter attacked and killed various people. It gave the lie to the idea that having a gun will prevent you being killed because everyone he murdered had a gun and were running away. Because of course 99% of us are not killers.

It's all random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I genuinely find it worrying that there are people out there who think these kind of things and then post them as if they've come up with some miraculous and intelligent solution. Worrying.

Let's be realistic here. If I'm in a situation where there is some guy shooting people I know and the whole place is going to hell, there's no way in heck I'm going to think rationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Play dead you idiot Countless times in real life andin the movies people die because they don't have the cop on to play dead. One example being the school shootings in America, find some dead bodies in a corner and lie down beside them facing down.
    Yeah I see this post getting a lot of stick but fair enough, I've thought it myself when watching a film with some guy shooting at anyone who moves. It's like watching people running down the middle of a road in a straight line (usually a road through a forest) or across a field or something when a a bloke in a car is trying to run them over. I mean ffs, run to somewhere the car can't go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

OP you should go teach the antelope on the Serengeti to play dead so the lions will leave them alone, you could be a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I would like to think my reaction would be to try and tackle the guy, obviously from behind if possible, I could get killed either way, might as well go down swinging and maybe save a few others.

In reality, I would probably run like hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

In a columbine style incident I always imagine myself dodging the bullets while charging at him, taking him down and then gently stroking his face, then I get up but as I do he tries to grab the gun and with my back to him I just stomp on his wrist, breaking it in half. I kneel down, stare him in the eyes and just knee him in the balls. His face is contorted in anguish. I grab him and perform multiple suplex manoeuvres on him. Then I cry out "Boy, its getting hot in here!", so I rip of my shirt revealing a smooth toned torso. I start running my hands threw my hair real quick and frenetically. I pick up the gun, chuck in the air and kick it at him with enough force to crack open his skull. I turn to the other students who are quivering in pitiful coward and say "Boy, anyone interested in a BITE!" back flipping down the corridor.

These would be the outro credits.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwE3ItTS1Q

guitarzero wrote: »
    In a columbine style incident I always imagine myself dodging the bullets while charging at him, taking him down and then gently stroking his face, then I get up but as I do he tries to grab the gun and with my back to him I just stomp on his wrist, breaking it in half. I kneel down, stare him in the eyes and just knee him in the balls. His face is contorted in anguish. I grab him and perform multiple suplex manoeuvres on him. Then I cry out "Boy, its getting hot in here!", so I rip of my shirt revealing a smooth toned torso. I start running my hands threw my hair real quick and frenetically. I pick up the gun, chuck in the air and kick it at him with enough force to crack open his skull. I turn to the other students who are quivering in pitiful coward and say "Boy, anyone interested in a BITE!" back flipping down the corridor.

These would be the outro credits.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwE3ItTS1Q
    Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Johro wrote: »
    Huh?

((((((!!!!!!!!!!!!:pac:!!!!!!!!!!!)))))))

Oh..
    I get ya now. Suplex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tried it once...even held my breath to make it more believable........nearly suffocated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Tried it once...even held my breath to make it more believable........nearly suffocated.

I believe the key is to leave your mouth open and slow your breathing down to as slow as you can get without raising your chest. The same as if yr trying to sleep. (Actor friend told me this once)

I believe the key is to leave your mouth open and slow your breathing down to as slow as you can get without raising your chest. The same as if yr trying to sleep. (Actor friend told me this once)
    Yup. Breath out looooooooooong and slooooooooooooow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah I see...in my defence I am an amateur and have only been involved in two of these situations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When people go on these kind of shooting sprees, they don't really aim all too well and just spray bullets all over the place. Chances are higher they'll point their gun towards a bunch of people to increase their chances of hitting someone.

If you want to survive, break free and run faster then the rest of the herd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement