Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owner unable to care for dog - what to do?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

mosi wrote: »
    Much as I would love to, I don't think it's feasible. Finances are tight and won't get better any time soon with me going back to college. Also, college will mean some travel, leaving the OH to mind the dogs by himself.
    I am going into overprotective mode, and have been stressing myself out a bit over it. I've really gotten very fond of the little fellow.

I've already been advised to do that and plan to have a letter ready when I meet the sister again.

I've been in touch and I know they're quite full up at the mo. I too have heard about certain well known rescues doing that. It's such a minefield, especially with so many having to send dogs to the UK. I have no real issue with that in itself (except that it's sad that it has come to this in this country) but in some cases there are questions over the rescues that dogs are being sent to. I may have something sorted for the little fellow though, through a family friend that rescues on a small scale and who is very particular about who she works with. It would mean travel but I would know exactly which rescue he ends up with. I know from past experience of dogs that have gotten fabulous homes through this lady and her contacts.
    I can still try to rehome him myself, but I'm a bit unsure about going about this. I have had a few people say "they know someone who wants a dog" and, if one of these could work out, it could be great - although I may offend a few people with interrogation. I had thought that, in this case, I would do an adoption contract but as I am not a rescue organisation, I don't know if that would be taken seriously by potential adopters. One friend of mine has been looking for a dog for a little while now (since before this whole saga), but he has young children, including a baby, and two very boisterous boys, so I'm not sure if this would be a good match...they may be better off trying to find a rescue puppy. They are lovely people but not necessarily the best for this dog.

I guess these are the dilemmas that people in rescue have to face all the time. I know there are never any guarantees, even with the best safety nets, and that a lot will depend upon my gut instinct in the end. I feel worried about him going through the stress of a rescue centre (albeit one with good facilities and strict rehoming procedures), and I am also worried about rehoming him to an individual who may not be suitable, despite appearances and my best efforts. I then start feeling guilty about not being able to take him on myself but then try and remind myself that I did not create the situation in the first place. There was whoever it was that owned him before, when he ended up in the pound from which the man's sister adopted him. Then there is her decision to get her elderly, unwell brother a dog without being able to guarantee family support or adequate care. I know it's a story that is constantly being played out across the country, that rescues are having to deal with and pick up the pieces frown.gif

Wow its nice to see you give this so much thought and energy :o tbh if someone takes offence at being interrogated thats their problem. If I was re-homing a dog I would expect this, and would be surprised at someone just handing a dog over. Its done by most organisations now and is as much for the new owners benefit as for the dogs.

I hope your search goes well, and you are absolutely right to hold out for the best home possible. I was in a similar situation a few years ago (though it involved a cat and the elderly lady who owned it knew she couldnt care for him full time anymore but didnt want to leave it in a shelter) so we came to an arrangement where I took the cat to live with me (he also needed treatment and vet visits and she had no transport/money etc) but would bring him around to see her regularly and she would spend the afternoon with him and then be happy enough to send him back with me. It's a tricky situation :( Though was less complicated as she was able to care for herself and was happy to relinquish some of the responsibilities to make life easier, it was like a weird custody arrangement lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

It's a while since I have been on here but I really didn't have much to update on. I'm glad to be able to report now that the little fellow has found his forever home in the UK :D
    I tried different avenues here, and had him on the books of a rescue here that would homecheck etc if anyone came forward. I had a few leads to follow as well but they turned out to either want a pup/female/bigger dog/smaller dog/no dog at all...
    We almost caved a couple of times, especially when he was making a show of the other two by behaving really well, or when he and my girl were having one of their frequent wrestling sessions :p However, we knew it just wasn't practical or financially viable, so when we were told that there was a place for him in the UK, we let him go.
    We had to drop him down to my rescue contact on Saturday evening...that was a really tough day...and he travelled on Sunday. Today, the rescue posted the dogs that came in from Ireland on there FB page, and he was there with a note to say that he has a home booked (and yes, they do homecheck)!
    It's been quite the journey for all of us, and I'm so glad that it has worked out well. I have also been in contact with the sister of the man who had him, to let her know that the little fellow has found a home. She agrees that it was the right thing so hopefully won't get him another dog...there was a local rumour that he had another one but enquiries indicate that he hasn't.
    I actually found another dog early last week, another terrier out on his own in the middle of the road. The OH had to wave down a car to stop it from running over him. After a couple of hours making enquiries locally and including an inconclusive visit to the vet to check for a chip, we managed to find the owner...good thing too, as a fourth one in the house would have been pandemonium :eek: The mad thing was, we found this one, as we were on the way back from vet with the other lad to complete his vax.
    Anyway, that's the conclusion of that particular saga. The little fellow finally has the forever home he has been looking for. As for me, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm on here with another stray dog dilemma :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Fair play Mosi :)
    That wee fella is (in all likelyhood) going to have a long, happy and loved life because of you. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

What a happy ending for the dog, great work! :D
    Pity about the poor old man but he'll get the care he needs when he moves into the home.

Advertisement