Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poo poo in the potty?

Options
  • 04-06-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Our little lady is 2 and 5 months and we have been potty training her the past couple of weeks.

I have to admit that it is going much better than I ever anticipated. Very few accidents to report so far!

The problem is that she won't poop in her potty! She'll happily pee all day long in the potty, but as soon as she needs to poop she asks for a nappy.

She's one of these children who will go off into a quiet corner by herself whenever she needs to do a number 2, so when she has asked for a nappy we have tried putting the potty in her 'alone spots' and giving her her privacy to do her business. This worked once and she was delighted with herself. We gave her lots of praise and we thought we had cracked it! However, she hasn't done it since!

So, has anyone else had this trouble and if so what did you do to overcome it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It took A about 2 weeks more to get the hang of poo's than wee's... She just didn't feel the same "feeling" if you know what I mean? She went in a nappy or her pants for the two weeks. could you try putting a nappy in the potty? And removing it after a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

My little one is the exact same at the moment, her mother is trying everything but to no avail just yet. doctor has recommended starting by only putting her nappy on in the bathroom and making sure she stays in the bathroom to do her number 2 even with the nappy on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Yes crazy cat lady....it took my son AGES to do poos. The first time he did it he disgusted himself and wouldn't do it again. So I got him one of those seats you put on the toilet so we could flush it away...that didn't work. We got star stickers and every time he did a poo in the toilet he got a star 5 stars he got a prize...that didn't work. He kept all his poos for his night time nappy.

I spoke to everyone...gp...phn...other parents ..the creche..and they all said the same thing the poos take longer to click. They will do anything to avoid it, no matter what tricks you try, you'll just have to keep encouraging bide your time and eventually it will click...and that's exactly what happened. Good luck! :D

Oh...we even got him an egg timer to get him to stay on the toilet longer...not even that worked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We found that offering a reward seemed to work ...... simple reward such as a sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Jellies or sweets all the way. Leave the bag out to entice, then when they ask for a nappy start bargaining with the sweets!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Some really great tips on here. We just started potty training yesterday.
    Day 1 she wouldn't poo all day despite weeing each time in the potty.
    The minute I put her pants on her, she did a poo in them & got quite distressed.

Today I knew she was holding her poo as she has regular movements and would normally go earlier in the day.
    From early afternoon on she kept asking for her nappy to do a poo but each time she asked I persuaded her to sit on the nappy & try.
    In the end just before bed time she did go in the potty.
    She was not one bit impressed at it, really didn't like the sensation at all.

I'm hoping it won't put her off going in the potty again or I'll be back again for more tips!

Hope the training is going well CCL, I'm really looking forward to no more nappies!
    Early days yet though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Thanks for your your replies!

The mad thing is that a few months ago, she would always sit on the big toilet to poop! She just won't entertain it at all at the minute!

Oh well, she'll get there in the end :)

Advertisement