Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What am I doing wrong?

Options
  • 04-06-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice on freelancing.

So, I've been studying design in college, and I've been working as a freelance Graphic & Web design for a while now and I've enjoyed doing so for the most part.

I've had a personal website, which brought in no clients at all, even after I had the site SEO'd and was ranked somewhat high for local (SouthEast) designers. I decided not to renew the hosting and domain name, so it's no longer online.

I've worked with quite a few clients in the past few years, all of which have been happy with my work, but I've been finding it harder and harder to come across work! I tried setting up a facebook page, showing of my work, and giving special offers for logos/websites/etc - I've started a blog during the past week or so also, I've asked family to tell friends and to just in general spread the word.
    I've even gone as far as to message facebook pages for local companies who don't currently have websites to offer cheap website packages (and yes, I know how terrible this is). All of which has returned very little.

I would consider my work as a very good standard, and I've even worked with Newlook Ireland/UK at one point (And will be again after Summer)

As you can probably tell at this point, my problem is that I can't seem to find constant flow of work. I only seem to get one odd job here and there. I've done pretty much everything I can think of, some of which I haven't even touched on in this post!

Can anyone help me with this problem? I love doing what I do, and I'd love to actually be able to use my talent to make enough money to support myself throughout the year.

Any help is great!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I have no experience here but my sister works for a small company which got a call from a website designer because he noticed they didn't have a site and they were going to take him up on it. They asked me in the end for different reasons but it might not be a bad idea. A lot of small businesses don't even think of the internet and if they do they set up a ****ty, empty Facebook page. Worth a try to phone up some businesses and offer your services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think it's madness to not have your own site. How are prospective clients going to see your work?

If you are no good at development then you can get a professional developer to create site for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

I agree about the website - if you are ringing somewhere to offer them a website, surely a poor reflection if you don't have one of your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JD RoX

Why not try some agency? If you're as good as you say, shouldn't be any problem getting the job.

By the way... For now, if you don't have a website, you should use Behance, instead of facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

you should keep have a website all webdesigners have one its a good idea to have a facebook page did you try advertise in supermarket and shops.

you should try looking for work outside the southeast too from what i heard web designers in dublin are flying while it is not as busy in the south east

advertise in the papers also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TechG

As I said, I had a website, but it was bringing nothing in. The cost for the hosting / Domain name was costing me more then the site was earning. I started using DeviantArts portfolio as a way to display my work now. I'm willing to put my site back online if it means that I'll get a flow of work, but judging by the past, I can't see that happening?

The site should be costing you a max €100 a year for domain and hosting. Referrals are the best source of web design/development jobs, but a potential client will still want to see a decent website, with portfolio and contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TechG

I've taken everyone's advice on creating my own website which should be done by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Even though your site may not be taking in any clients it's always nice to offer a portfolio of your designs and past work on your website for anyone that may want to hire you in the near future.

Advertisement