Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

indoor swimming pool

• 04-06-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

HELP NEEDED

I have struck a deal with my partner re moving out the country to live beside his parents. The deal is I want a swimming pool. Now I am not looking for anything on the scale of an olympic size swimming pool, just enough to do a few lenghts.

We tried to resource this online but unfortunately there does not seem to be much info re costs, building materials and maintenance etc. We would be hoping to keep the cost down and ideally would like to use sustainable materials.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Maybe the mods would transfer you to the construction and planning section

I don't think 'sustainable' is a word generally used for a private indoor pool in our climate

For starters you'll be using a lot of reinforced concrete and sophisticated tanking membrane followed more tiles than you need in a house. You then need a holding tank/ runoff area to keep the EPA happy. Then there are the mechanical requirements - pumping system, adding chlorine regularly, cleaning regime etc. and then we get too how your going to heat it - how many solar panels/ size heat pump/ units of gas would it take to heat say a 15m x 3 m x 1 m pool, that's 45m3 of water or 45,000 litres . Then have to build the structure which needs to be able to with stand the condensation that will come off of that volume of warm water, plus you'd need a major mechanical ventilation system.

I've been involved in two such domestic projects And 'keeping costs down' as you requested will be difficult' and as for sustainability, buy a bike and cycle to the local pool or beach or just enjoy the cycle..

Best of luck with whatever you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Have no idea of the cost but something like this would help with keeping the size down
    http://www.endlesspools.com/endless-pool.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,577 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A current pool would be ideal. Relative small and will let you swim distances. Personally I think any pool less than 25m isn't worth swimming in. Your just turning to often, and your strokes and stamina are greatly reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

You know you can buy something slightly larger than a bathtub type tub which is powered by jets of water, ie its like a miniature river. You can control the force v yr swimming ability. Bit like a treadmill only there's water. Ever consider one of these. They had one on a program on tv not long ago, 'A league of their own' I think it was. THey cost about 5k I believe...
    Not sure if you'd like that kind of thing but if its just exercise:D your looking for without the tonnes of water....way to go...

Advertisement