Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mange in cattle,

• 04-06-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

.. . whats mange in cattle?

like how would i know it? does it have symptoms. . .

i know scratching etc. . but anything else visually?

just looking at one bullock, and think i might give him a does. .

does closamectin cover mange? have some left over from last Nov.. .

or might wait till i does the lot .. ..

Pudssey wont be long putting me straight on whats good for mange!:D

its a wonder bayticol doesnt do mange. . . they got that 2-3 weeks ago. .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

.. . whats mange in cattle?

like how would i know it? does it have symptoms. . .

i know scratching etc. . but anything else visually?

just looking at one bullock, and think i might give him a does. .

does closamectin cover mange? have some left over from last Nov.. .

or might wait till i does the lot .. ..

Pudssey wont be long putting me straight on whats good for mange!:D

its a wonder bayticol doesnt do mange. . . they got that 2-3 weeks ago. .

Bayticol does treat mange. If you have skin lesions within 2-3 weeks of using Bayticol, it may be ringworm or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

this will sound stupid. . but is ring worm in the shape of a circle.. like a ring?. .

or

if say. . it looks like scaby? . . . like ud have on ur knee if you fell .. and its crusty. . but not in any particular shape. . . . . bleed/not bleed. . whats this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

this will sound stupid. . but is ring worm in the shape of a circle.. like a ring?. .

or

if say. . it looks like scaby? . . . like ud have on ur knee if you fell .. and its crusty. . but not in any particular shape. . . . . bleed/not bleed. . whats this?

Sounds like it could possibly be ringworm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Cannot give a cure for ringworm often bought cattle with it seems to go away after a while, never got deducted at the factory for it.

Always wear disposable gloves when treating cattle so as not to pick it up myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Ringworm causes dry, grey, scaley-looking skin. Can look like cigarette ash. Hair falls out in affected patches. Often on head around eyes.

Not itchy though (usually).

Ring%20worm%20bovine.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Yeah, sounds like ring worm.
    Beef cattle arent worth treating for it. Looks more serious than it is. Like one of
    the lads said dont ever touch it with bare hands. I got it when I was a kid goin around pettin all the calves and I still have the scar.

Heard that if you hang holly bushes with the berries on them over the troughs during winter it'll clear it up on anything in the shed. Supposedly it works. Suckler farmers in Scotland do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Bottle of Imravol from the vet. €19 and you spray/brush it on. I've found that on light cases it treats it in one application. I'd advise treating it, it's very contagious and will live on a long time on the farm so I think it's best stop it if you can.

Waste engine oil will also treat it but that's more of a traditional cure thats frowned on by many. It still works though. It's been reported here that natural youghert will also work but thankfully I havnt had a chance to try it out.

It would be an unusual time to develop ringworm. It usually develops while they're housed. Sunlight is also good to control it.

Advertisement