Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging in nightclubs

• 04-06-2012 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Do you think you could make much money if you decided to sit down in a corner begging passers by as they go to the bar? What other alternative locations could be prime real estate for the aspiring and innovative beggers?

I got the idea for a friend of mine a few years ago. We were in a trendy nightclub and he decides to sit down and puts out his two hands to gesturing do spare change, who walks by but none other than my brother, who I didnt realise was in the place, thinking this is funny and throws some change at him.
    Tagged:

Comments

Well, we all knew this day would come. Threads on where the best places are to beg....

It's not beside an ATM anyway, what do those lads think we're gonna do, drop €50 into their cup!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I thought this was going to be about begging for a roide. Thread disappoints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Good one, the bouncers would probably give you a big tip, then a few more tips, followed by tossing you a bail out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Bouncers. Lifting. Outside. Barred.

Can't see what else would happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The toilet. You should offer paper towels dry peoples hands, and sprays of cheap cologne though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Do you think you could make much money if you decided to sit down in a corner begging passers by as they go to the bar? What other alternative locations could be prime real estate for the aspiring and innovative beggers?

If they brought deodorant and chewing gum with them and took donations in exchange for them it mightn't even seem like they're begging at all. They are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bunch of drunk folk heading to the bar?

Be great spot if you were after ice cubes thrown at yer head, and beer mats flung in your direction.

Ask any poor sod that attends the bathrooms if they make much in an evening, and remember they are actually providing a service for money, begging its just that, begging for money, but giving nothing in return.

Can't see it working out too well tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You're better off outside an arcade or next to a vending machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Bouncers. Lifting. Outside. Barred.

Can't see what else would happen.

What if you just stand against a wall with your hands out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I always suspected After Hours had the lowest of the low frequenting it, now we have proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭elefant

What if you just stand against a wall with your hands out?

Who knows what could happen :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Not inside night clubs, but begging outside nightclubs is probably a good idea if you're homeless and need cash.

No offence, but you get a lot of bored, uninhibited, middle class kids hanging around outside nightclubs at 3am who are only too happy to unleash their, like, sense of like, charity"?"

I once played witness to a particularly cringeworthy exchange between an aquaintance and a homeless woman whom she handed a 5 euro note and told her she could come and live in the basement of her house if she "changed her ways".

yes, because it's really that easy to kick heroin and un-do 40 years of social deprivation... a 5 euro note and the promise of a Donnybrook pantry to live in.

Still, the homeless woman walked away 5 euro up; I know the girl meant well but I really do wonder how the world must look to homeless women like that who see these kids 20 years younger with absolutely no concept of reality or how difficult the homeless have it. I think most of us find it difficult to imagine how hard it must be to have no home to go to, lets not patronise them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It'd be too risky as some drunken fool would take offense to you and batter you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

later12 wrote: »
    Not inside night clubs, but begging outside nightclubs is probably a good idea if you're homeless and need cash.

Still, the homeless woman walked away 5 euro up; I know the girl meant well but I really do wonder how the world must look to homeless women like that who see these kids 20 years younger with absolutely no concept of reality or how difficult the homeless have it. I think most of us find it difficult to imagine how hard it must be to have no home to go to, lets not patronise them.

In the same vein I've seen a roughly twenty year old guy try to take a shit in the hat of a homeless man who was using it to beg, for every deluded well meaning drunk I reckon you'll get one dickhead so is the trade off worth it?

On another note, when I was young I was in church one day when a woman walked in, faced the alter and dropped to her knees before bowing numerous times. Then she stood up and went from pew to pew begging. Without doubt the most creative bit of begging I've seen. She got nothing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

The toilet. You should offer paper towels dry peoples hands, and sprays of cheap cologne though.

Reminds me of this, easy money really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQc17gCSvI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A good tactic would be to ask for donations to the antivomitonyou fund. Make sure to eat garlic fries 1-2 hours before hand and drink lots of cheap booze too after all you want to turn a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Germany seem a soft touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've a better idea - you could buy a bunch of mangy old single stem roses and go around to every young lad with a bird-make him feel like he is a mean, stingy tool if he does not buy her a rose, and charge €5 for the pleasure - it's sure to be a winner as no fella wants to appear mean in front of a girl he's after.. I doubt if it's been tried before..might work in restaurants as well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

When i was working in bars and night clubs, just after thr bar had closed and the staff went off for the staff drink whiles everyone is was being cleared by security, id always walk around the bars where the orders were taken, i'd always find a couple of fivers and droped Euros on the ground......,without fail, every night.

Advertisement