Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOT for inland fishnig

Options
  • 04-06-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm about to buy SOT for fishing use (but no need for fancy rod holders etc.).
    Mostly on sheltered little lakes in middle of nowhere or rivers like suck, inny or barrow (for bigger water i have lake boat for sea i wouldn't dare to venture in kayak).
    I'm quite big (over 6 feet 120 kg) and would like something rather stable than quick - i saw once guy kneeing on edge of SOT (he was at right angle to kayak reaching to right kneeing on the very edge and i was very surprised with how stable this thing was).
    Could you please recommend something in small budget?
    i already liked tarpoon 100 (but bit above my money @650 euro) and islander calypso (which is 500 euro). I also thought about fatyak kaafu (@430)

Or maybe for my sort of using (no big waves etc) all i should care about is its size?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

thx. what would you think about fatyak kaafu? it is 430euro (seems to be longer, wider and have 1 more hatch) at almost same price brand new (430 including delivery).

pmccormack wrote: »
    I have seen the perceptions been put through hell and used for every type of kayaking possible and come out smiling!!
    Try before you by if you can!
    I wouldnt worry too much about the Hatches they are never 100% dry so you would still need to buy a Dry bag if you want to keep your phone/keys dry.

Paddle and PFD in the Package make the difference!

Paddy
    www.pureadventure.ie

thanks for reply. You may be correct about hatches (i would put most stuff into 40l dry bag anyway i guess without some sort of inserts stuff will be flying all over inside of kayak) Wouldn't be concern about phone (waterproof one) and keys can go into small bag along with first aid kit.
    it would be handy to have another flat surface with cords around it (for tackle boxes) paddle and back rest are included with fatyak (so is delivery).

Ps would you even try to use inflatable roof rack for long trips on motorway?

PS2 for gentle paddling should i start with some sort of waterproof jacket (i'm planning to use chest waders so i'm dry from chest down). or will it be ok just in t-shirt?

well i had problems with computer hence late answer.
    This perception one turned out to be to small for me. An i finally bought a used tarpon100 for similar price ;)

thx.

just tried to use it on leixlip reservoir but been told to get licence first - do i have to be member of leaping salmon and how much is it? I hope is no more than 20 euro (already paid esb 80 for for blessington fishing...).

Instead went on canal but generally it is bad idea (can't spot weed from kayak level so spinning was quite frustrating ;)

anyway i'm thinking about buying wetsuit. Could someone tell me where to look to get cheap one? (has to be big size)? I saw some short ones in lidl and thought - can i buy some sort of sleeves for it? (like for cycling gear) or do i have to buy full ones + lets say longjohns?
    Will wetsuit keep mi warm in winter (in case of taking bath ;)?
    As if this is not a case i would rather buy some good jacket (with tight sleeves) and keep using my breathables and neoprenium chest waders depending on temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddymur

Adverts is good for sec/hand gear or these (Rivertec Cartwheel 3/4 Kayaking Pants) Great outdoors €43.99 are good to start off with.

Over t shirt try the Centre/School Long Sleeved Kag €43.92

This will keep you warm and dry during the summer and then you can keep an eye out for a 5mm or better wet suit for the winter.

All the best with your boat and hope to meet you on the outside some day.

• Advertisement

i spent some time looking around (couple 53 degrees north) but i seriously need to drop few sizes ;)
    I found some billabong 2 or 3mm neoprenium tshirt but XL is way to small (i couldn't even put it over my shoulders...) no KAG in XL either (of course in expensive ones plently of sizes)...
    I spoken with guys from water polo club in kilcock - they were mentioning some cheap shop in Belfast (can't remember the name).
    PS i'm always hot so i guess i would go for something as thin as possible (like 1mm?) I'm less worry about KAG as I seen many cheap (50 euro range) ones in great outdoors etc (so i guess it will be matter of ordering right size).
    For winter i have 3 or 5mm neoprenium chest waders so again i would like to look for just a sort of shirt to go over them i guess...

Ps been told to look for polartec instead of neoprene - easier to clean and more comfy to wear.

Advertisement