Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hollister

• 04-06-2012 10:50pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

I'm not really up to date with fashion etc, but random question, seems to be a big fad/craze of lads wearing hollister lately?

Last few months every second person I see out or on facebook wearing it? I have nothing against hollister clothes they seem nice, but to me they seem too common now and are pricey enough I believe!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

DB10 wrote: »
    I'm not really up to date with fashion etc, but random question, seems to be a big fad/craze of lads wearing hollister lately?

Last few months every second person I see out or on facebook wearing it? I have nothing against hollister clothes they seem nice, but to me they seem too common now and are pricey enough I believe!

Its another advertisement for the lack of the interest individuals have in fabric, construction and quality. see also: A & F, Hilfiger, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

DB10 wrote: »

I think it used to be a sort of trophy saying you'd been to the US or something. AFAIK you could only get it there, and it's a lot cheaper.
    ladhrann wrote: »
    Its another advertisement for the lack of the interest individuals have in fabric, construction and quality. see also: A & F, Hilfiger, etc. etc.

+1. I don't see the appeal at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

There good quality and comfortable i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They're good quality alright.. picked up a load of stuff in Hollister Outlet Mall in NYC in February.

But very overpriced here.. wouldn't pay half what they're asking in stores here.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

You can't see anything in the shop. You need the light off your phone to look at the prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I like their jeans but thats it. I bought a few pairs in the USA last year. I wouldn't buy it here its ridiculously over priced. I don't understand peoples obsession with it. Walking around college its like a bloody school uniform, everyone second person plastered from head to toe in hollister. Its a refuge for those who lack taste and individuality when it comes to clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Very average quality, and very overpriced.

Brand of choice for w*nkers in my experience too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Its very average quality clothing, if you think otherwise you're kiding yourself.

Its A&F's cheaper brand, aimed at teenagers not adults. A&F is in low to mid range retail price where its clothes is of average quality so its cheaper brand is going to be a lot worse.

Its cheap in the US but when it is sold in Ireland they can sell their clothes to people who believe that this is what the actual cool american surfer kids wear lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

Trust Hollister/A&F to bring out the disdain!

My girlfriend bought me some Hollister stuff when she was over in the states at Christmas and my only complaint would be that they could increase the sleeve length on the t-shirts & polos by an inch. Simple designs and good quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

maximoose Please stick to commenting on the clothes, not on the people that wear them.

dudara

• Advertisement

Hazys wrote: »
    Its very average quality clothing, if you think otherwise you're kiding yourself.

Its A&F's cheaper brand, aimed at teenagers not adults. A&F is in low to mid range retail price where its clothes is of average quality so its cheaper brand is going to be a lot worse.

Its cheap in the US but when it is sold in Ireland they can sell their clothes to people who believe that this is what the actual cool american surfer kids wear lol

They are part of the disease in mens' and womens' clothing of valuing a name over inherent added value, construction and materials used.

The true art and purpose of clothing yourself after warmth is to send a message. 'I don't care' is a message, 'I am of a certain socio-economic bracket' is a message. Advertising a clothing name or a brand is a symptom of not having your own message. The classic retort to any criticism of one's clothing in Ireland is in my experience 'Its x brand or Y brand', as if that makes any difference to the inherent quality or exterior form.

They are part of the disease in mens' and womens' clothing of valuing a name over inherent added value, construction and materials used.

The true art and purpose of clothing yourself after warmth is to send a message. 'I don't care' is a message, 'I am of a certain socio-economic bracket' is a message. Advertising a clothing name or a brand is a symptom of not having your own message. The classic retort to any criticism of one's clothing in Ireland is in my experience 'Its x brand or Y brand', as if that makes any difference to the inherent quality or exterior form.
    So in that case you need to wear unbranded clothing or hidden branding in order to send a message. Surely then making an effort to avoid brands would make 'I don't care' a facade and in certain circumstances don't people choose branded (subtle or otherwise) clothes for the social class they belong to or aspire to be in?

thefa wrote: »
    So in that case you need to wear unbranded clothing or hidden branding in order to send a message. Surely then making an effort to avoid brands would make 'I don't care' a facade and in certain circumstances don't people choose branded (subtle or otherwise) clothes for the social class they belong to or aspire to be in?

Wearing unbranded clothing might send a certain message. If you agree with the point that after covering our nakedness and providing warmth all clothing provides some cultural or social message then this is selfevident.

Wearing unbranded clothing might send a certain message. If you agree with the point that after covering our nakedness and providing warmth all clothing provides some cultural or social message then this is selfevident.
    Yes, what I was trying to get at but didn't make clear was how does wearing brands automatically take away from having your own message as the message you might be trying to send out may be linked to certain brands? Wearing that brand could be as concious an effort as the person who chooses to wear unbranded clothing. I think your point is more to do with subtlety than the forfeiting your clothes to sending off your own message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

hollister = trackies for the posh/snobs etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

dudara wrote: »
    maximoose Please stick to commenting on the clothes, not on the people that wear them.

dudara
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    hollister = trackies for the posh/snobs etc.

Dudara has already warned another user about comments like this, please stick to the topic on hand - Hollister clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I find it very odd that a couple of users here have said that Hollister clothing is cheaply made and bad quality. I have some stuff from there since it opened in Dundrum and the stuff is wearing better than anything else I bought around that time.
    And to user who said Tommy Hilfiger was bad quality, you are way way off the mark. I have plenty of Hilfiger stuff that i've bought over the years and it's the best quality, longest lasting clothes i've ever bought (and i've bought all manner of makes and brands over the years). I actually have a couple of shirts and jeans from Tommy Hilfiger that would be 5 or 6 years old and barely look a month old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Meh, I don't like it. Was in Dundrum before Christmas and there was a massive que to go in there :confused::confused:

thefa wrote: »
    Yes, what I was trying to get at but didn't make clear was how does wearing brands automatically take away from having your own message as the message you might be trying to send out may be linked to certain brands?

Quite, there was particular surge in the wearing of Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch as previous to a certain date they could not be bought in the Republic of Ireland but only in the USA, thus indicating a certain socio-economic status.

The other element of the point I was making is that marking yourself out as a wearer of X or Y name makes it clear that you wish to identify with a rather hollow business. Whatever you might have to say is subsumed into corporationspeak, if you wear such clothing aspirationally it is arguable worse as your own vision of yourself is dictated by a corporate lookbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Got a pair of holister yoga pants the other say from the online store, they are great quality only thing is when i got them they were 34 euro and now they have a sale on and they are 17.90.... i got myself 2 more pairs and a few other bits n bobs from the online sale....

Went to Dundrum 3 weeks ago an got my daughter jeans and t-shirt they are good quality. The store was jammers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I went shopping with a friend in Westfields in Shepherd's Bush and she made a bee line for Hollister. They had a topless guy at the door, and we had to queue :eek: to get into the shop. It was still crowded and stuffy, and it was so dark you couldn't see the clothes properly.

She was in her element and started grabbing hoodies, jumpers, tracksuit bottoms and underwear. She ended up spending about £500 and didn't have much to show for it. The stuff she got were nothing special either. Madness

I wouldn't buy anything there because I couldn't justify the price for what it is, and it wouldn't be my taste at all.

I did find a comfy armchair there to wait for her to finish her spree (and avoid the crowd) ;)

Advertisement