Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Review]Footie forum

• 04-06-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi could you review my forum please any help appreciated
    Euro2012/The Premiership/Champions League/Scottish Premier League/npower Championship/International Friendlies

http://footieforum.co.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Not very experienced but personally I find that the logo has far too much going on with the different crests in the letters: makes it hard to read.

Also the background images behind the site make it a bit ugly. I'd tone it down with a colour, gradient etc instead. Few sites use busy background images like that because it rarely works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Okay first of all, it's not very pretty. This is going to turn first time visitors away within seconds. Keep it simple when designing.

Secondly, what makes your website so special? Why would people want to come back to your forum rather than an already built up forum such as http://www.thefootballforum.net/

It would take a lot of skill and effort to compete with the bigger football forums that have been around for years so why not think up your own little difference?
    Find your niche! Be it teens only or your favourite club, narrow your audience and there will be less competition.

Hope everything works out for you,
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JD RoX

WTF? 1999 all over again. I honestly can't review it.. Worried that I will damage my eye sight if looking at it for longer than 30 sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

ok so you say just use an ordinary background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Forgetting the awful design for a minute, you have to have an actual idea when creating a website. You need to create/design something unique.

There is no way in hell it will take off in it's current form.

But hey, you will learn from it. Tinker with it and start brainstorming for ideas.

• Advertisement

re-done with football icons for ( new thread/no new thread icons )

Added new logo,new theme,new mytabs style and last but not least new football man :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

It's looking a lot better than it was. Not sure about the new football man though!

I think you badly need to rethink the structure. I'm counting 10 sub forums for the Euros and if I wanted to discuss who I think is going to win I'd have no idea where to post it. It's a disaster really. Would I post it in 'Chit Chat Banter' maybe? Actually I don't think there is a place for it.
    Every Group poll has a separate subforum? That's ridiculous.

Spell check the forum descriptions. Tons of mistakes in there. Put spaces after the commas.

Pj! wrote: »
    It's looking a lot better than it was. Not sure about the new football man though!

I think you badly need to rethink the structure. I'm counting 10 sub forums for the Euros and if I wanted to discuss who I think is going to win I'd have no idea where to post it. It's a disaster really. Would I post it in 'Chit Chat Banter' maybe? Actually I don't think there is a place for it.
    Every Group poll has a separate subforum? That's ridiculous.

Spell check the forum descriptions. Tons of mistakes in there. Put spaces after the commas.

ok i'll have a re think,thanks for your input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I've mentioned this on other forum review threads.

I used to run a semi-popular forum myself fwiw. For categorisation, the policy should be that a category is only introduced when there's a need for it, as in when the parent category is getting too overcrowded. Maybe start with 2 or 3 to make sure people are aware it's a forum, but as a rule, you should be keeping the content as condensed as possible. People engage when they see a subject they find interesting, not a category. As in, the discussion is what is interesting, not the category it's happening in.

So a user is more likely to engage when it is one click in to a category, and they see 10 discussions, rather than 10 clicks in to 10 categories and they see 1 discussion in each. Not to mention that nobody will ever click in to 10 categories really.

Keeping the content condensed means people will see more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

It's looking a lot better since I last saw it, keep working at it and you will get somewhere.

Also, listen to people on here. You have to many forums and sub-forums, I'd only have max 5. Looks a lot better!

Advertisement