Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish Universities Accept A Level Resits??

Options
  • 04-06-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm a graduate from Queens University Belfast, and received a 2.2 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

I did my A levels back in 2004 and got CCD.

I want to get into a UK/Irish university, however the door appears shut for me in the UK with regards to dentistry as 5 out of the 6 graduate entry courses in the UK all require a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences, the other requires a 2.2 in Biomedical sciences.

They also only look at you're first degree only, meaning if I did biomed and got a 2.1 it wouldn't be accepted.

A level repeats in the UK are not accepted either.

So it means I left with three options:

1)Repeat A levels to AAA and hope Irish universities accept this policy
    2)Repeat A levels to AAA and go to Eastern Europe (which is accepted)
    3)Do the Leaving Cert down south and hope as a northern resident this is allowed

So my question is do Irish universities accept a level resitting candidates for either dentistry or medicine?

Appreciate if anyone could help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

AFAIK yes. They may require all subjects to be sat within a certain period (ie AS and A2's within 6-12 months of each other, I'm not fully sure there), but they definitely accept resits. Sure you can sit the leaving cert a million times and be accepted so it would be a bit hypocritical if they didn't. Just remember regardless of A Levels or Leaving Cert, if you're applying as an undergrad you'll have to sit the HPAT also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Just remember regardless of A Levels or Leaving Cert, if you're applying as an undergrad you'll have to sit the HPAT also.

Is this for Dentistry as well? I see the minimum points for trinity is 580, that would be 4 levels of A*AAA (with one being mathematics getting bonus points of 25).

But the website says:

"Grade B + Grade C In two of: physics, chemistry or biology
    If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present GCSE mathematics at grade B or better"

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=184

But minimum points 580 for you guys? I'm confused, surely it can't be easier for me. :confused:

You don't need the HPAT for dentistry, just medicine.

Also, for the "Grade B + Grade C in two of: physics, chemistry or biology. If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present GCSE mathematics at grade B or better", what this means is that your points equvilant must be made up from your subjects sat at A2 level ( A*AAA results).

If you haven't sat physics to A2 standard and achieved a B or C grade (plus met the points requirements from your other subjects), you must have a B or better in maths from your GCSEs plus meet the points requirements from the subjects sat to A level, of which two must be biology and chemistry, and must be at least a B and C grade. if that makes sense?
    Hope that helps a bit :)

Ok I just rang TCD there and they said that A-level resist were accepted provided they were all sat within the same year, which is fantastic news.

I now can begin the hard aul slog of attempting to somehow achieve 580 points.

A* = 150
    A = 135
    B = 120
    etc

Am I right in also saying that 25 bonus points are added for doing A Level maths??

If so thats A*AAA = 555 + 25 bonus points = 580

Its going to take some work. :eek:

Check the maths to be sure Gnobe, I was discussing this with a friend who works in the Dept of Education here, and he was fairly adamant the extra 25 points were only for Leaving Cert candidates BUT he wasn't 100%. An A at Leaving Cert is really only worth 2/3's of the points of an A at A2 level so that may be why it's not awarded, best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Gnobe - have you looked into Entry as a mature student?

Im kinda in the same boat as you but with Medicine.

Matriculation Requirements are 8 GCSE passes or something - then life experience, and beinog over 23.

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Check the maths to be sure Gnobe, I was discussing this with a friend who works in the Dept of Education here, and he was fairly adamant the extra 25 points were only for Leaving Cert candidates BUT he wasn't 100%. An A at Leaving Cert is really only worth 2/3's of the points of an A at A2 level so that may be why it's not awarded, best of luck :)

Jessibelle, it's stated half way down this page under the table on the trinity website:

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/gcse/

"Bonus points for Mathematics:
    Students presenting A-Level Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Pure Mathematics will be credited with an additional 25 points for achieving a grade E or above."

FairytaleGirl - aren't the fees more expensive for a mature student? Plus I'm told its awkward and much harder but I haven't looked into it yet. (I have 10 GCSE's 2A's, 6B's, 2C's).

Gnobe wrote: »
    Jessibelle, it's stated half way down this page under the table on the trinity website:

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/gcse/

"Bonus points for Mathematics:
    Students presenting A-Level Mathematics, Further Mathematics or Pure Mathematics will be credited with an additional 25 points for achieving a grade E or above."

That's good to know, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

FairytaleGirl - aren't the fees more expensive for a mature student? Plus I'm told its awkward and much harder but I haven't looked into it yet. (I have 10 GCSE's 2A's, 6B's, 2C's).

Once you already have a degree, regardless of where obtained, you have to pay fees, whether you got in as undergraduate or mature. So same price regardless of route of entry. Also if you have a degree already you are not eligible for grants, etc.

Fees for EU residents (this includes Irish) are ~€8.5k to €10k, fees for non-EU are €31k to €48k, depends on the college. Undergraduate fees are a bit cheaper than graduate fees but courses are 1-2 years longer.

Abby19 wrote: »
    Fees for EU residents (this includes Irish) are ~€8.5k to €10k, fees for non-EU are €31k to €48k, depends on the college. Undergraduate fees are a bit cheaper than graduate fees but courses are 1-2 years longer.

Is this per year? So for a 5 year course (if I'm lucky enough to get in) I would be paying around €50k? Is that correct?

Non EU students have got to be paying nearly quarter of a million. That's insane. :eek:

• Advertisement

Is this per year? So for a 5 year course (if I'm lucky enough to get in) I would be paying around €50k? Is that correct?

Non EU students have got to be paying nearly quarter of a million. That's insane. :eek:

Yes this is per year.
    For north Americans it is similar-ish cost to studying there
    Check out the 'Mature and non-traditional students' thread in Education. There is a lot of information there.

Just another question.

Because I'm 25, do I have to apply as a mature student, or can I apply through the points system regardless of my age like everyone else as thats what I want to do as I know the mature student route is harder.

Because I'm 25, do I have to apply as a mature student, or can I apply through the points system regardless of my age like everyone else as thats what I want to do as I know the mature student route is harder.

On the CAO form you can tick a box for mature, and this opens up all the sections you need to fill in as a mature student. However you still have to fill in all the other stuff that you would fill in for the undergraduate/straight from school route. You will be offered any spot for which you are eligible, so by ticking the mature box you are opening up another avenue, but if you meet the undergraduate/straight from school requirements you will still be offered that place.

I know of somebody who had been offered RCSI mature, but had done exceptionally well in the HPAT and when the CAO offers came out after the LC, they were offered an undergraduate/straight from school place in another college. I can only assume their RCSI mature spot was offered to the next person on their waiting list, and this is one of the reasons there can still be movement till quite close to when colleges start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blissfulapple1

Ok I'm a graduate from Queens University Belfast, and received a 2.2 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

I did my A levels back in 2004 and got CCD.

I want to get into a UK/Irish university, however the door appears shut for me in the UK with regards to dentistry as 5 out of the 6 graduate entry courses in the UK all require a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences, the other requires a 2.2 in Biomedical sciences.

They also only look at you're first degree only, meaning if I did biomed and got a 2.1 it wouldn't be accepted.

A level repeats in the UK are not accepted either.

So it means I left with three options:

1)Repeat A levels to AAA and hope Irish universities accept this policy
    2)Repeat A levels to AAA and go to Eastern Europe (which is accepted)
    3)Do the Leaving Cert down south and hope as a northern resident this is allowed

So my question is do Irish universities accept a level resitting candidates for either dentistry or medicine?

Appreciate if anyone could help. :)

Hello:)
    did you resit the entire AS and A-level for four subjects in one year , or did you just resit the units that needed grade improvement ? please reply soon
    thank you

Advertisement