Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you consider Ireland a Banana Republic?

• 05-06-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I mean come on. For such a small country, things should run like clockwork. It never amazes me when I go abroad for long periods of time how things tend to "just work" most of the time, and most genuine people tend to play by the rules for the benefit of society as a whole, whereas the irish mentality boils down to "me first". There is absolutely no sense of community or equality in this country, and it shows at every level.

Is it any wonder the country is in such a state when you consider the plutocracy which governs this country is exchanging political votes for "services", not to mention the fact that corporatism is responsible for such wonderful schemes like "SlaveBridge" - a bridge to Slavery, not to mention the fact that these foreign companies praise Ireland and it's workforce despite paying their tax through an intricite shady offshore schemes and recruiting slaves -_-

Have you had enough of being taken for a ride, or are you content with taking others for a ride? There is no inbetween catagory in this country.

Is it? 112 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 112 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are we still the largest manufacturers of bananas in the EU ?

I'm not joking it was an amazing tax-dodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Don't forget that those other countries with their wonderful infrastructure have much greater populations and therefore many more tax dollars to spend on them.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They're actually garlic cloves, don't tell anyone though

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thebankers

Johro wrote: »
    Don't forget that those other countries with their wonderful infrastructure have much greater populations and therefore many more tax dollars to spend on them.

Proportionately speaking, I mean. The value for level of service in the public sector should be practically constant, regardless of the size of our domestic economy to a larger one. I still think there is no excuse for the daily plundering of resources by our beloved political class.

thebankers wrote: »
    Proportionately speaking, I mean. The value for level of service in the public sector should be practically constant, regardless of the size of our domestic economy to a larger one. I still think there is no excuse for the daily plundering of resources by our beloved political class.
    Fair enough. Your government are a shower of idiots told what to do by bigger idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I mean come on. For such a small country, things should run like clockwork. It never amazes me when I go abroad for long periods of time how things tend to "just work" most of the time, and most genuine people tend to play by the rules for the benefit of society as a whole, whereas the irish mentality boils down to "me first". There is absolutely no sense of community or equality in this country, and it shows at every level.Have you had enough of being taken for a ride, or are you content with taking others for a ride? There is no inbetween catagory in this country.

That's the thing with been Irish and living in Ireland ,you find from an early age that there is no level playing field when it comes to equality and the pilliars of society you once so genuinely put your trust and faith in ,took you for a ride ,if only because you let them and you may also soon discover that those 'close' friends ' ...really weren't /aren't that close and the only person you can really trust ...is yourself .

^ well ...something like that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thebankers

Johro wrote: »
    Fair enough. Your government are a shower of idiots told what to do by bigger idiots.

Yeah. True dat. It just irks me that you have people here praising the fact we beat the British to gain independence, only to hand over most of our power to unelected Sociopathic Technocrats in Brussels.

I really had to shake my head at that vote the other day. Have we no sense of pride? I want this country to be better. Everybody here deserves better. This can only start with a break from our current situtation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A puppet run banana republic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

What? Sure they don't even grow here. Maybe in a greenhouse

-______-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

eth0 wrote: »
    What? Sure they don't even grow here. Maybe in a greenhouse

-______-
    Yea but we spray them and export.

• Advertisement

Yeah. True dat. It just irks me that you have people here praising the fact we beat the British to gain independence, only to hand over most of our power to unelected Sociopathic Technocrats in Brussels.

I really had to shake my head at that vote the other day. Have we no sense of pride? I want this country to be better. Everybody here deserves better. This can only start with a break from our current situtation.
    Well, locally speaking, I keep seeing the same old faces doing the rounds, county councillors who should have retired years ago, smoothing the way for their business mates and taking turns as mayor, spouting the same ole shite in their local newspaper columns, I wish they'd f#ck off already. Dinosaurs.
    I came to live here in 1984 when people were leaving the country to find jobs, now we're back there again. You do wonder what happened with the money made during the boom, coz health and education are worse than ever and the roads are still crap.
    Politics in Ireland needs a radical overhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

We're on the way...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

With so much at stake for so many ,fear of the unknown was the factor as to why the vote swung to the Yes vote and no doubt many of those YES voters will have thought long and hard about it before deciding but would it really have got any worse if the No vote had the majority ? It would have been nice to 'rock the euro ' boat to be able to stand up and be counted so to speak but one thing the Irish don't like is to shoot themselfs in the foot , be left in the minority and out in the cold ,especially when it's the stronger euro neighbour Germany calling the shots .

It will probably take a while for it to sink in ( if it hasn't already ) but that basically is that and ROI is really now only a Republic in name ...with a big fat 'Euro plc ' behind it .In 4 years time the 100th anniversary of the Rising will take place but it won't be the same republic their grandfathers and great grandfathers fought for that the old soldiers will be marching in tune to ,for the price of independence that many could never have imagined ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Five post troll has five posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I still think its a a banana republic because,in the 80's there were no jobs,the 90's was a fake boom,the 00's were back in the depression,so what have our governments done for us is what i am left thinking with regard to the economic state of our country.No job creation as of yet,but they said if you vote lisbon youre voting yes to jobs?!if you vote yes on this current referendum you are voting yes for jobs?!Look at the roads in ireland,gay burn talks about getting roads safer what about all the potholes and bumps on the road if a car hits that at 60 mph??Its all bull****..Which leads me to believe our government is nothing short of a farce,i mean look at all the quangos,as you rightly pointed out jobbridge,a job blocker which sucks what could have been a paid job out of the community,yet our banana government tout this as a positive thing,creating more unemployment?And as for the tax dodgers their good business associates on board this slavery scheme it makes a complete mockery of every irish voter,it shows what our government really think of us..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jobs for the boys isn't new, been going on for centuries

Around 1910 Arthur Griffith President of Sinn Féin said it would be easier to remove the British from power in Ireland then it would be to remove cronyism from Irish local politics.

It's not the exact quote but something like that

It was probably even worse back then and the people didn't have access to so much information as now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

There are less corrupt countries in Africa and South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What the f**k are you blabbering on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

What an insult to lesser Banana Republics like Burkino Faso and Zaire etc whose politicians can only look on in envy at what our elected officials can get away with,with no consequences.

For gods sake these people take pride in banana republicanism by seizing power through military junta's and run the risk if a war trials in the Hague.Over here all they have to worry about is a gravy train report and a bit of a ribbing in the Sunday Independant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Studious?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What an insult to lesser Banana Republics like Burkino Faso and Zaire etc whose politicians can only look on in envy at what our elected officials can get away with,with no consequences.
    In fairness Bertie did give pep talks to the Nigerians recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have you had enough of being taken for a ride

Sick of it, but people keep voting for FF/FG/Lab. People are idiots. What can you do? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

we should replace democracy with an automated governing system... fair and equal.....

it should have extremely tough security systems with independent backup systems in hidden locations to avoid corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Potato republic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Show Time wrote: »
    There are less corrupt countries in Africa and South America.

I met one of the heads of the un security forces when I was in Africa and he told me Ireland is easily as corrupt as somalia or other african countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Ireland used to be a bit sh1t compared to other countries, but I'd argue that in the last decade a lot of things have seriously improved. Now we are well up there I think.

It's easy to bash but saying things like "when I go abroad for long periods of time things tend to "just work" most of the time" is actually bull****. I've just been away for almost a year and a half and I can tell you that's not true. The grass is always greener...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I met one of the heads of the un security forces when I was in Africa and he told me Ireland is easily as corrupt as somalia or other african countries.

And the UN Security Forces know a lot about corruption in this country do they?

I met the world's best Ultimate Frisbee player and he says that Osama Bin Laden and Barack Obama are brother and sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Has a familiar ring 'tho.

I'm not joking it was an amazing tax-dodge

Didn't Fyyfes shares drop from about 4500 to about 44 cents each a couple of years ago, so probably not anymore. ;)

• Advertisement

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    And the UN Security Forces know a lot about corruption in this country do they?

I met the world's best Ultimate Frisbee player and he says that Osama Bin Laden and Barack Obama are brother and sister.

Well he was formerly a high ranking individual in the Irish army. How many of the people in Ireland actually found out in massive corruption faced jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The whole "things work better abroad" is always toted out by people who don't live abroad. I am stuck on trains out of Paddington on a weekly basis. Someday, in the year 3000 we will work out how to fix the signalling problems in the Reading area. Until then - although redundancy could fix it - it won't be fixed.

Living somewhere is not the same as visiting, and moving around in rush hour is not the same as moving around at other times.

That said, there is - as always in these debates - the same old tired chorus.

1) We cant run ourselves, and
    2) WHY ARE THE GERMANS RUNNING US!

If you believe 1) you would opt for 2) . Germany is more efficient than Ireland, the UK seems to be about the same, but people are apparently trying to forget Berlusconi, and Sarcozy, the non-tax paying Greeks, the bribe taking police in most of the world, the bribe taking civil servants in most of the world, the Russian oligarchy, the Mexican drug state etc. etc. etc.

The points made against the Irish government, are generally of incompetence not corruption - Bertie's corruption is minor by world standards - and that they are hand in glove with bankers, but you could say that about allAmerican administrations since the eightie's.

Ireland, top 10 percent.

Well he was formerly a high ranking individual in the Irish army. How many of the people in Ireland actually found out in massive corruption faced jail?

Why would an army officer have any special knowledge of corruption in Ireland? That's not part of their role at all. This is an arguement from authority that doesn't fly at all.

dvpower wrote: »
    Why would an army officer have any special knowledge of corruption in Ireland? That's not part of their role at all. This is an arguement from authority that doesn't fly at all.

Well the facts do fly unfortunatly. How much jail time did haughey, ben dunne, Lowry or any of the others recieve. One of my favouraite articles in I read was an american article about Irish corruption which had the line "Haughey illegally obtained over ten million pounds while in power, he recieved no jail time". The article also questioned how his children and family are in benifit of his criminal assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Well the facts do fly unfortunatly. How much jail time did haughey, ben dunne, Lowry or any of the others recieve. One of my favouraite articles in I read was an american article about Irish corruption which had the line "Haughey illegally obtained over ten million pounds while in power, he recieved no jail time". The article also questioned how his children and family are in benifit of his criminal assets.

The facts don't fly. These are non flying facts. Unfacts. Here's my link again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Seriously, visit the world. In many countries you have to bribe every official in the land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Seriously, visit the world. In many countries you have to bribe every official in the land.

Well thats ok then!

• Advertisement

Definately not a banana republic when compared to many third world countries where the leaders are quite happy to allow their people starve while they have private jets, multiple patatial houses and yachts etc, plus of course a whole business community that is on the make with the leaders consent and a private army to keep it that way!

edit: and this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupt...ceptions_Index

Well thats ok then!
    Its not OK - we should be aiming to be higher than 19th place, but the idea that we are a banana republic is laughable.

dvpower wrote: »
    Its not OK - we should be aiming to be higher than 19th place, but the idea that we are a banana republic is laughable.

I dont think we are a banana republic I never said we were. I think Ireland is a lot more corrupt than people think though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Bananas are quite an interesting fruit really.
    Very different to any other fruit.
    Most fruits are juicy.
    None have the same kind of texture as a banana.
    You rarely get banana flavoured sweets either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ireland is not a banana republic. If only it were, at least we'd have some decent sunshine. :rolleyes:

Many moons ago, I was a schoolboy listening to our local TD Oliver J. Flanagan (Charlie's dad) addressing a crowd from the back of a lorry during an election campaign. He was really going on about Eamon De Valera, who was Taoiseach at the time.

He said: "De Valera reminds me of a banana!":D

Someone planted in the crowd dutifully shouted: "How's that, Oliver?":)

"Well, he started off green, and then he turned yella, but he's still crooked." :rolleyes:

The only real connection between today's Ireland and a banana is the sheer crookedness of the place.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

.... I think Ireland is a lot more corrupt than people think though.

Yes, but nowhere near as corrupt as Greece, Spain and Italy.

I dont think we are a banana republic I never said we were. I think Ireland is a lot more corrupt than people think though.

I dunno - the Corruption Perceptions Index is based on what people think.
    Since 1995, Transparency International (TI) publishes the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) annually ranking countries "by their perceived levels of corruption, as determined by expert assessments and opinion surveys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I still think its a a banana republic because,in the 80's there were no jobs,the 90's was a fake boom,the 00's were back in the depression,so what have our governments done for us is what i am left thinking with regard to the economic state of our country.No job creation as of yet,but they said if you vote lisbon youre voting yes to jobs?!if you vote yes on this current referendum you are voting yes for jobs?!Look at the roads in ireland,gay burn talks about getting roads safer what about all the potholes and bumps on the road if a car hits that at 60 mph??Its all bull****..Which leads me to believe our government is nothing short of a farce,i mean look at all the quangos,as you rightly pointed out jobbridge,a job blocker which sucks what could have been a paid job out of the community,yet our banana government tout this as a positive thing,creating more unemployment?And as for the tax dodgers their good business associates on board this slavery scheme it makes a complete mockery of every irish voter,it shows what our government really think of us..

Ok my few point the 90's wasn't a fake boom it wasn't even a boom till the mid 90's ... The 00's was a fake boom. Every one buying property from each other with borrowed money... It happened cos our politicians are just like their electorate (ie us) ... Road safetywise if the road is ****e SLOW THE F DOWN.. novel I know ....
    Job bridge ain't perfect but it ain't all bad, know of a company that's gone through 8 "slaves". All thought it crap work.. 6 of them now have jobs through contacts they got in the job ... What I'm saying is it's better than just rotting on welfare....
    Yup the countries full of tax dodgers, and everyone justifies their bit and bitches about everyone else....
    It's easy to be a politician and give out... It ain't easy to make changes in this country , in 4 years time we'll get to replace this shower with the previous shower who really shagged us..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Whats a banana republic??

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Whats a banana republic??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_republic
    A banana republic is a politically unstable country that economically depends upon the exports of a limited resource (fruits, minerals), and usually features a classed society — a large, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy, the rich élites of business, politics, and the military

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Show Time wrote: »
    What the f**k are you blabbering on about.

''Yup the countries full of tax dodgers, and everyone justifies their bit and bitches about everyone else....''

I dont feel its good enough to have that attitude of 'yup the countries full of taxdodgers'',so whatdyado attitude..Its just not good enough we should expect better from a government that should be servicing us the public with tax back revenue going into bocked up roads,and whatever else is a danger to the public..

We would be better off without jobbridge as it sucks what could be a paid job right out of the community..

''It's easy to be a politician and give out... It ain't easy to make changes in this country , in 4 years time we'll get to replace this shower with the previous shower who really shagged u''

I agree the original fianna fail crowd were the problem,bertie and crew,but this shower of klepocrats are no different,you dont see the recent petrol scam?the cost of an oil barrel has gone down 40 dollars,yet the price of petrol has gone up,and you dont hear FG complaining as they got their cut and all..
    What about the selling of our natural resources when a lot better could have been made of it,there could have been enterprise but no we just sold them for **** all..

And what makes you think the next government will be any different?Were not exactly spoiled for choice..The whole dail is corrupted as bent as a 9 bob note..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Well we do have a lot of monkey's in the Dail, just ape-ing around likely just playing with their nuts and doing little else!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We put 'em there ....because they are ourselves .Mirrors of people we have known and mirrors of ourselves........and there is no other way they would succeed in politics .

It is easy to say we put em there etc,but what choices in politics do we have its an oligarchic klepocracy not a democracy as they claim..

these are the choices:((and NOBODY votes for anybody other than these main parties)

Fianna Fail

Labour

Fine Gael

The odd independant(probably a business shark with his her own greedy-selfish interests)

• Advertisement
Advertisement