Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced Entry - Journalism

Options
  • 05-06-2012 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey guys,

For the last three years I've been studying Journalism in Rathmines (1 year Level 5 followed by the two year HND) in the hope of eventually getting into DIT. Now, Rathmines and DIT have a connection where they have three spaces available for students of the college once they finish the HND, which allows them into second year of the BA. Luckily only myself and one other student from my class applied.

However, this is depending on spaces actually available in the course. Apparently last year a large number of people were accepted compared to usual from the CAO, which means that for myself it all depends on how many people have dropped out/failed first year. Now that I've finished my HND and I'm playing the waiting game I'm starting to worry. Any chance anyone is in the course and can maybe give alittle insight on the drop out rate in the course?

I hate having to hope that people have left in order to get in but sure, what can ya do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

There were enough dropouts in my year for three or four Rathminers to join us along with a few from Dún Laoghaire, but I can't speak for this year's first year contingent.

We like to call 'em "trannies." :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

I think that generally DIT accepts more students than usually able to cope with, especially those who have reasonable expectations like you guys. I'd advise you to contact the Head of Media/Journalism and keep in touch with her - it helps i think

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

No word back yet, and I've rang the Head of Media a few times since Monday with no answer. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

Got an email back, finally. Been told that there are no spaces for advanced entry students this year. Heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Tenks wrote: »
    Got an email back, finally. Been told that there are no spaces for advanced entry students this year. Heartbroken.

Sorry to hear that. You have studied a lot in this field already though, do you really need to transfer to a degree at this point? Six years is a long time to take a journalism degree - have you investigated trying to find work at this point, maybe even applying for the Media Studies degree in Maynooth) (3 yrs). They take advanced entry students.

• Advertisement
Advertisement