Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Didn't AC4 launch at 900p on PS4 but then got a patch to bump it to 1080p?

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.
    Similarly Killzone Shadow Fall runs at 960x1080 in multiplayer and then upscales rather intelligently to 1080p and no one even realised until a Digital Foundry article pointed it out. That, more so than anything else in recent times, demonstrates how utterly pointless these resolution arguments are.
    Its really down to the developers.Forza 5 hit 1080p with 60fps and the New Wolfenstein game will be the same.I think its just down to DEVS getting to terms with the Hardware.By Christmas i'd say both consoles be on par with every game running at 1080p and 60fps
    To a certain extent yes, as it does the tools at your disposal, your ability to optimise for a specific platform and the time allotted for the project. Even more importantly, however, is the type of game in question. An open world game is quite possibly one of the hardest to build where the performance is uniform throughout.
    C14N wrote: »
    While that's true, you would think that 1080p at this point would not be especially difficult to do. 1080p has just become standard screen resolution by now, even phones have 1080p screens these days. I've been running it on everything since I started PC gaming in 2009. Considering both ran 720p the previous time (with hardware that is now 8-9 years old), you would think the new ones would be able for 1080p out the door.
    1080p wouldn't be difficult to do if they also didn't have to worry about building better looking games at the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have to admit it's been a while since I've been so impatient for a game to simply get released, just to put an end to the seemingly endless tech speculation and find out if the game actually lives up to its fascinating concept and gameplay ambitions. If it does, then I'm sure we're all in for a great experience regardless of the pixel count of individual versions. If not then I think resolution and frame rate specifics will be far down the list of concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

792p on xbox one and 900 on ps4 both at 30fps. Would have expected at least 60fps, next gen my hole

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-next-gen-game-resolution-dynamism/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

792p on xbox one and 900 on ps4 both at 30fps. Would have expected at least 60fps, next gen my hole

http://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-next-gen-game-resolution-dynamism/

An open world games like WD does not need 60fps. 30fps is just fine. 60fps is ideal for racers and first person shooters.

1080p and 60fps does not equal next gen. More detail, scale, physics and improved graphics all add up to next gen.

They could probably get 60fps and drop to 720p on the PS4 if they wanted to but it's not needed so they went for better looking textures are a lower frame rate.

Fast fps games like CoD need 60fps but notice they have much smaller levels and less detail and physics going on at any one time compared to an open world game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ikfdTJ42J0kEX.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kudros

Will there be a midnight launch for this I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

sheehy83 wrote: »
    ikfdTJ42J0kEX.png

GTA 4 on PC, can you imagine what Watchdogs will look like with mods.

_origin_GTA4-grafikas-modi-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

An open world games like WD does not need 60fps. 30fps is just fine. 60fps is ideal for racers and first person shooters.

Watch Dogs has driving and shooting... I would NOT want to play that game at 30fps. Sure it's doable, but framerate is almost always more important than resolution when it comes to even medium paced games. The only time I can think of when I would rather higher resolutions than FPS is for turn-based games or very slow atmospheric games such as Silent Hill.
    1080p and 60fps does not equal next gen. More detail, scale, physics and improved graphics all add up to next gen.

None of those things equal next gen. Generations of consoles actually don't mean anything in performance or graphics, simply a time-frame of when the system was released. And PS4 is current gen.
    Fast fps games like CoD need 60fps but notice they have much smaller levels and less detail and physics going on at any one time compared to an open world game.

It can be done, though. The new MGS on PS4 runs at 1080 and a very reliable 60fps while looking quite impressive - the engine is based around being open-world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Anyone know the achievement/throphies for the game

Anyone know the achievement/throphies for the game

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/watch-dogs/achievements/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Kudros wrote: »
    Will there be a midnight launch for this I wonder?
    Yes, according to one of the guys in Gamestop I was talking to yesterday in Newbridge.

It can be done, though. The new MGS on PS4 runs at 1080 and a very reliable 60fps while looking quite impressive - the engine is based around being open-world.
    Being open world is one thing, being open world and filled with an array of dynamic objects is another. For instance, how many enemies and vehicles are on-screen at any one point in MGS:GZ? How fast can you traverse the game world? How does the world react when you start interacting with it?

A better example on the PS4 would probably be Infamous: Second Son, although they certainly cranked things up on the graphics side. The director of the game addressed the frame rate concern in an interview awhile back.

As for the resolution / frame rate issue in general, Digital Foundry did a decent write up on it awhile back in the context of next/current-gen consoles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

will they be the same for ps4?

Yupp

Jez the gaming community is really sinking in my mind when the constant arguments these days are about FPS and resolutions.

Unless you're sitting directly in front of the TV with a microscope you aren't going to be too fussed about the amount of pixels at work.

More talk about the games, and less about the specifications of shadowing and textures please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

More talk about the games, and less about the specifications of shadowing and textures please.

I agree

However, 30fps is not good enough any more. I don't really care what a game looks like, but christ almighty, it has to hit 60fps on next gen hardware surely

COYVB wrote: »
    I agree

However, 30fps is not good enough any more. I don't really care what a game looks like, but christ almighty, it has to hit 60fps on next gen hardware surely

Don't get me wrong, there's obviously something to it.

But at the levels we're currently at, it's complete and utter nit picking.

We have a fairly crap HD TV here, bod standard HD Ready from a few years back.
    Playing BF4, it's a TINY issue that a person miles away isn't as clear as they should be.
    Thats just about the only game and issue you'll have, an online FPS with somebody miles away.

I don't mind somebody adding to a review ''It looks amazing'' but this entire thread has turned into a resolution debate.
    Maybe a dedicated thread in the games forum could be set up to discuss the ins and outs of such things.
    Stop each thread descending into a pixel contest. :)

On this game, I was always aware of it in the run up the XB1 launch.
    But have been by and large avoiding gaming news(picked up recently given the massive lack of available products), so I hadn't really looked into what this was about until about 2 weeks ago through this thread(didnt know what genre it was, just it was anticipated and some sort of shooter).

Looking forward to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

framerate has nothing to do with how clear someone in the distance is though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

As long as the framerate is consistent I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Edit: Nevermind, was reading on the go and misread the original post, my bad.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    I agree

Well they could always decrease the graphical fidelity, tone down the lighting and lower the resolution. Surely that'd help matters and it's not like the gaming community would lose their **** over it, right?

Oh no, wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Jez the gaming community is really sinking in my mind when the constant arguments these days are about FPS and resolutions.

Unless you're sitting directly in front of the TV with a microscope you aren't going to be too fussed about the amount of pixels at work.

+10000.

If the game is seriously fun to play with loads of content who cares if it's 900 or 1080p? Let's leave the circle **** about specifications to the PC gaming master hipsters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

We are talking about the game , it looks crap compared to what was shown at E3 last year. If you invest in a 400/500 euro console and then spend 60 euro on a game for it you want it to look nice and run smoothly.

As for the gaming community really sinking what about Sony & Microsoft? People are fed up with their bulls**t and have a right to express their opinions when they are being fed lies all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But it could well look nice and play smoothly? In fact, I'd bank on it looking great on the next-gen consoles. Most of these criticisms are based on compressed video clips and (even worse) .gifs. Plenty of games run at sub-1080p and 30FPS and still play magnificently. AC4 on PS4 looks absolutely beautiful on my televisions set. As nice as it would play on a high end PC? Nope, but then I never expected the next-gen consoles to run at that quality anyway. Certainly, once you're actually playing a game and it runs smoothly all these concerns go right out the window. At worst, it's a minor frustration as opposed to anything definitively gamebreaking.

It would also take a very impressive eye to spot the difference between upscaled 900p and 1080p without a side by side comparison, and even then the difference would be relatively negligible for 99% or more of viewers. I still want developers to aim for the best they possibly can, of course, but I also think these technical concerns have been blown out of all proportion over the last year.

I've booked the 27th off of work, hopefully there'll be a midnight launch in gamestop, roll on Tuesday week!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not really changed at all though. As long as I've played games, you've had certain areas of the community who will argue about graphics.

And while it's true that graphics don't make a game, when you have next gen consoles still not able to do 1080p on new games (after both Sony and Microsoft talked about their super advanced graphics) you can understand some people being a bit annoyed.

I don't really care to be honest. It'll still look good on consoles, and i'll play it on the PC anyway.

Kiith wrote: »
    i'll play it on the PC anyway.

PC Certainly seems to be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

DarkJager wrote: »
    Let's leave the circle **** about specifications to the PC gaming master hipsters :D
    Indeed, our numbers are better anyway, I'm expecting frame rates somewhere in the 120+ range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kudros wrote: »
    I've booked the 27th off of work, hopefully there'll be a midnight launch in gamestop, roll on Tuesday week!

How come this game is getting a Tuesday release here anyway? It's not like it's a big title like COD, GTA, Gears or Halo that would get a world wide releases on a Tuesday. :confused: Would have expected a usual Friday release for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

How come this game is getting a Tuesday release here anyway? It's not like it's a big title like COD, GTA, Gears or Halo that would get a world wide releases on a Tuesday. :confused: Would have expected a usual Friday release for this.

Create more hype for it to increase sales. Like you said, only big titles come out on Tuesdays. Plus the fact it's more anticipated than most other titles, and it's being released on the current and next-gen consoles so more people might be interested in it. Makes sense.

Advertisement