Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

How come this game is getting a Tuesday release here anyway? It's not like it's a big title like COD, GTA, Gears or Halo that would get a world wide releases on a Tuesday. :confused: Would have expected a usual Friday release for this.

Alot of Ubisofts releases are on a Tuesday for some reason.The Assassins creed series games were mostly released on a Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Alot of Ubisofts releases are on a Tuesday for some reason.The Assassins creed series games were mostly released on a Tuesday

Really, I have all the AC games except 3 and can't recall them being released on a Tuesday. Well 4 I got on the PS4 launch and it came out a 2 days before the console which was odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Really, I have all the AC games except 3 and can't recall them being released on a Tuesday. Well 4 I got on the PS4 launch and it came out a 2 days before the console which was odd.

Yep,always remembered picking them up on a tuesday and having them practically finished by the weekend.Did a quick check on wiki and it confirmed it.The last Splinter Cell was the same.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think the ranting and raving about framerates and resolutions is less about this specific game and more about people having being burned by being early adopters of really expensive new hardware because the companies making them have colluded with the people making the games for them and they've both flat out lied about what this "new generation" of gaming can do. That's completely justifiable, you have been lied to and you should be angry. Lets not forget that Watch_Dogs was supposed to be a launch title for these new consoles and despite the delays (something which I'm glad Ubisoft does by the way, it means that there are still gamers in charge unlike EA who shovel out broken rubbish because marketing decided that the launch date is set in stone), this combination of game and platform is still not delivering on what it promised 2 years ago. Watch_Dog is the flag around which people are rallying as it's been the high profile super hyped title that should be putting this new hardware on the map.

Does it make any real appreciable difference to how the game will play for you? Not really.

Do consumers have a right to be angry about being lied to in this way? Absolutely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think the ranting and raving about framerates and resolutions is less about this specific game and more about people having being burned by being early adopters of really expensive new hardware because the companies making them have colluded with the people making the games for them and they've both flat out lied about what this "new generation" of gaming can do. That's completely justifiable, you have been lied to and you should be angry. Lets not forget that Watch_Dogs was supposed to be a launch title for these new consoles and despite the delays (something which I'm glad Ubisoft does by the way, it means that there are still gamers in charge unlike EA who shovel out broken rubbish because marketing decided that the launch date is set in stone), this combination of game and platform is still not delivering on what it promised 2 years ago. Watch_Dog is the flag around which people are rallying as it's been the high profile super hyped title that should be putting this new hardware on the map.

Does it make any real appreciable difference to how the game will play for you? Not really.

Do consumers have a right to be angry about being lied to in this way? Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

When were consumers lied to exactly?
    At what point did Microsoft or Sony come out and say "Every game on our platform will run at full 1080p and 60 frames per second"?
    When did Ubisoft, when they showed off Watch_Dogs for the first time back in 2012 at a time the new consoles didn't even exist, say "This is running on a next-gen console"?

By all means be disappointed that the final PC version won't look as good as the 2012 reveal but between the over the top outrage and insinuation that launch window or early generation releases show off the full capabilities of the consoles, we're bordering on ridiculous territory here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

gizmo wrote: »
    When were consumers lied to exactly?
    At what point did Microsoft or Sony come out and say "Every game on our platform will run at full 1080p and 60 frames per second"?
    When did Ubisoft, when they showed off Watch_Dogs for the first time back in 2012 at a time the new consoles didn't even exist, say "This is running on a next-gen console"?

By all means be disappointed that the final PC version won't look as good as the 2012 reveal but between the over the top outrage and insinuation that launch window or early generation releases show off the full capabilities of the consoles, we're bordering on ridiculous territory here.

Sony didn't say every game but they did advertise for this particular game and used it as a selling point for the console

watch_dogs_60fps.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Jez the gaming community is really sinking in my mind when the constant arguments these days are about FPS and resolutions.

Unless you're sitting directly in front of the TV with a microscope you aren't going to be too fussed about the amount of pixels at work.

More talk about the games, and less about the specifications of shadowing and textures please.

No wonder why the new consoles are so lackluster if this is most of the consumer's attitude... you need a microscope to see the difference in pixels and FPS, lads! If that's the case, why even get current gen consoles? Just play Watchdogs and MGS and whatever else on your PS3 and 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

What I don't understand is how people can get so outraged over something they never had to begin with. You haven't bought the game, it was never finished. If the lowered graphical quality is really bothering you, don't buy the game. If it bothers lots of people, then lots of people can not buy the game and then maybe Ubisoft will do things differently. I can understand if you did get it and it was not what you were led to believe, you would have every right to be angry about it, right now it's just being angry that something that never even really existed has changed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thank you Wooden Jesus, you saved me looking that up :)

My point, which I must not have made very clearly judging by gizmo's reaction, is that people feel like they have been burned and this game is the focal point around which they're gathering. They're not entirely wrong.

The lack of real-world software development knowledge amongst the wider consumer base means that you get butt-hurt over numbers like 1080p and 60fps because their 360 and PS3 could deliver on these mythical numbers and their new XBones and PS4s can't. Consumers don't understand or care about the massive differences in developing for the new versus the old console. Couple that with gaming press that have little else for doing but creating click-bait for their websites telling these afore mentioned consumers that this is "not as good" because it doesn't adhere to some supposed minimum standard they claim it should leads to more outrage and confusion as to what people should expect.

This is all further compounded by Ubi flat out saying that they're going to have Watch_Dogs run at these mythical numbers on the console that they have undoubtedly been paid a lot of money to say is their platform of choice. Then sweeping that under the carpet when the tech people tell the marketing people that it's simply not going to happen is really bad form at best and has the potential for false advertising court cases at worst.

We saw similar stuff for Titanfall on the XBone by the way - there was all sorts of nonsense about what "p" it was going to run in and so on. I didn't really pay any attention cause I was running it in 5760 X 1080 on my PC, but it's lack of Crossfire support was frustrating. :)

I think it's also worth mentioning that I am not personally one bit bothered by any of this "OMG Watch_Dogs doesn't look as good as it's supposed to" nonsense because for me, if you're worried about looks over game-play then you're doing it wrong, but I'm not going to claim to speak for all gamers everywhere. I'm just giving my opinion on how I saw this mess played out and how it continues to play out. Watch_Dogs will be out in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to hearing some first impressions and reviews so I can decide whether or not I'll buy it. It looks like a fking awesome game though so I really hope they're favourable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

C14N wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how people can get so outraged over something they never had to begin with. You haven't bought the game, it was never finished. If the lowered graphical quality is really bothering you, don't buy the game. If it bothers lots of people, then lots of people can not buy the game and then maybe Ubisoft will do things differently. I can understand if you did get it and it was not what you were led to believe, you would have every right to be angry about it, right now it's just being angry that something that never even really existed has changed.

Stop blaming Ubisoft. It's the underpowered next gen consoles which are to blame for the game looking crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sony didn't say every game but they did advertise for this particular game and used it as a selling point for the console
    Quite true however the ad was live for about 24hrs before it was changed. It stinks of being a marketing gaff on Sony's end which was probably corrected via a rather irate phone call from someone at Ubisoft.
    The lack of real-world software development knowledge amongst the wider consumer base means that you get butt-hurt over numbers like 1080p and 60fps because their 360 and PS3 could deliver on these mythical numbers and their new XBones and PS4s can't. Consumers don't understand or care about the massive differences in developing for the new versus the old console. Couple that with gaming press that have little else for doing but creating click-bait for their websites telling these afore mentioned consumers that this is "not as good" because it doesn't adhere to some supposed minimum standard they claim it should leads to more outrage and confusion as to what people should expect.
    We're not talking about the wider consumer base though, regular/casual gamers won't give a toss about these numbers that are being thrown around. The people making the most fuss are those who should know better, the ones that watch E3 conferences, follow previews, post on forums, hell, the ones who know the difference between a publisher and a developer, a six year development cycle and a yearly rehash. Granted, some are being stirred up by the click-bait articles you mentioned but still, the lack of critical thinking from such an audience is both incredibly surprising and frustrating at times.

As an aside, you should know quite well that there were only a handful of games on the previous gen which ran at either 1080p or 60fps and even less which ran at both :)
    This is all further compounded by Ubi flat out saying that they're going to have Watch_Dogs run at these mythical numbers on the console that they have undoubtedly been paid a lot of money to say is their platform of choice. Then sweeping that under the carpet when the tech people tell the marketing people that it's simply not going to happen is really bad form at best and has the potential for false advertising court cases at worst.
    Ubisoft didn't say this though. The above ad was a Sony one.

As an aside, they did say the previous trailers for The Division were running on the PS4 hardware so it'll be perfectly acceptable to take them to task on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Stop blaming Ubisoft. It's the underpowered next gen consoles which are to blame for the game looking crappy.

WTF!!
    The game doesn't look crappy! You're either trolling or blind.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    WTF!!
    The game doesn't look crappy! You're either trolling or blind.

Looks like a PS2 game. The first part of the gif is from March 2014 and it then transitions to E3 2012.

iboqqHgyy5tOsD.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Looks like a PS2 game.

That must have been some PS2 that you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Recently bought a ps4, killing time with tomb raider til this comes out. Looks like it's could be a leap forward for open world games

lertsnim wrote: »
    That must have been some PS2 that you had.

tumblr_mc92j0WACI1r4mbcco1_250.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nothing definitively proves what a finished 50 hour plus long game will look like on a high definition TV quite like a 5 second long, pre-release, heavily compressed gif :)

Nothing definitively proves what a finished 50 hour plus long game will look like on a high definition TV quite like a 5 second long, pre-release, heavily compressed, low frame rate gif :)
    Gota love Burnout 3 though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone else (PC) hesitant on spending money on this? price is now at €24

I expected more......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

New picture released shows even more downgrading seems to have happened.

Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Duggy747 wrote: »

Outrageous.

Thats it I am out. Demanding my money. FOR SHAME

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

sheehy83 wrote: »

Thanks had a look at the playstation site and saw nothing. Should have went to xbox also

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Outrageous.

I love the detail they've put into the city. This has sold me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Outrageous.

That looks fine - stop worrying about stupid numbers like resolution and framerate.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gota love Burnout 3 though :)

Heathen!

HotWheels Turbo Racing masterrace

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone else (PC) hesitant on spending money on this? price is now at €24

I expected more......

Huh, kinda strange. Ubisoft aren't one to discount their games very heavily, even less so around launch with all their special edition nonsense. Maybe some kind of region free key from another country? I know Russian and Brazilian keys sell for pennies.

In all seriousness...

I won't be going near this game until everyone else has tested it and the hype dies down. Ubisoft have been mostly disappointing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

shiminay

This guy gets it. It is not about the downgrade. It's the blatant punk deception.

I say don't be content. The people that
    are content, are the same people that tell others to shut up and don't make a fuss .but only delighted and relived when Microsoft did a u turn on their greedy arrogant ways after the backlash. And they certainly did not do the u turn to reward their loyal content customers. who sat back and said what's all the fuss about. And Sony are no better.

Microsoft chanced their arm. And bit the hand that feeds them. Sony are peddling their own filth too. Sooner the better Microsoft get their **** together, so Sony can stop hiding their own short comings behind their competitors failings.

I hope watchdogs is a good game , players deserve it after all the bull from the industry as of late. My only real hope for this " next gen"is the withcher 3. I want to see the team behind it get all the success they deserve.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks had a look at the playstation site and saw nothing. Should have went to xbox also

Yeah, the PS trophy sites are always hesitant about adding leaked trophies, xbobx achievement sites usually the first to put them up.

• Advertisement

From the 101 trailer, the coin run game looks like a nice distraction. Also, cheating in poker looks like an easy way to make money.

People joking about the downgrade of graphics, they are gonna freak when they see the 8 bit gameplay!

0OkTFHF.jpg?1

Advertisement