Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My gut feeling is this will turn out to be another Assassin's creed, where the gameplay itself is so bland they need to put into a zillion sidequests to keep people happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Stop blaming Ubisoft. It's the underpowered next gen consoles which are to blame for the game looking crappy.

I'm not even blaming Ubisoft. When I wrote that I was actually thinking that what they'll do differently in future is not show us any unfinished footage. The original footage was first shown before the new consoles were finalised, what most likely happened is that Ubi programmers overestimated the upcoming hardware. The original demo was running on a high-powered PC, and they probably thought the new Sony and Microsoft consoles would easily be as good. At the same time, they were probably not planning on releasing on PS3 and 360 at the time so it had to be downgraded to suit those.

Any footage shown that early is not going to be final, I thought we all had accepted that by now. The 2012 E3 video was them doing everything right. It was a no-nonsense, 10 minute video of just gameplay. My worry is that this outrage will make devs reluctant to show us anything like that at conferences and instead we'll get more lame FMV and scripted sequences that makes everyone go "ooh" and doesn't make people mad but doesn't actually tell us anything about the final game.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    New picture released shows even more downgrading seems to have happened.

Outrageous.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

C14N wrote: »
    I'm not even blaming Ubisoft. When I wrote that I was actually thinking that what they'll do differently in future is not show us any unfinished footage. The original footage was first shown before the new consoles were finalised, what most likely happened is that Ubi programmers overestimated the upcoming hardware. The original demo was running on a high-powered PC, and they probably thought the new Sony and Microsoft consoles would easily be as good. At the same time, they were probably not planning on releasing on PS3 and 360 at the time so it had to be downgraded to suit those.

Any footage shown that early is not going to be final, I thought we all had accepted that by now. The 2012 E3 video was them doing everything right. It was a no-nonsense, 10 minute video of just gameplay. My worry is that this outrage will make devs reluctant to show us anything like that at conferences and instead we'll get more lame FMV and scripted sequences that makes everyone go "ooh" and doesn't make people mad but doesn't actually tell us anything about the final game.

That kinda shows major stupidity on the dev teams part tho. No new console's hardware will ever come close to having the power of the new top of the range graphics cards that can cost more than the console itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

That's one way of looking at it. But over time it would have made sense for both AMD and Microsoft/Sony to put in powerful graphics at a price point that would work. The consoles will use the same hardware for at least five years. In that time the hardware will get cheaper and eventually it will not be top of the line for very long. In the long run, better hardware would have been affordable for the manufactures and would have strengthened their brand. Top of the line graphics cards are mainly expensive because enthusiast consumers will pay more for the best performance, but after the R&D has been done (and it was done) price is mostly market segmentation. I reckon the were cheap asses, and worried about higher failure rates due to heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Waiting to see if Watch Dogs & EA UFC were going to be added as digital Preorders for PS4 on PSN but Sony replied to someone on the PSN Euro blog saying 'We have no announcements for PS4 preorders'. So looks like either XV or Gamestop preorders.

GS have the plain jane edition for 75 euro and XV have the Special edition with breakthrough pack for 65. hhhhmmmm which to get :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Waiting to see if Watch Dogs & EA UFC were going to be added as digital Preorders for PS4 on PSN but Sony replied to someone on the PSN Euro blog saying 'We have no announcements for PS4 preorders'. So looks like either XV or Gamestop preorders.

GS have the plain jane edition for 75 euro and XV have the Special edition with breakthrough pack for 65. hhhhmmmm which to get :rolleyes:

75 in gamestop????? I know I shouldn't be but I am surprised a little :eek:

Edit: shopping around on line comes in at €53 from amazon and €45 from videogames plus giving a margin for exchange rates, for €20 save I may be able to told out for the 10 day delivery from VGP

calex71 wrote: »

I read before that was a placeholder price but only 2 weeks to release, I'm guessing that is there final price. Strange that is the only version they have for PS4, all the special editions are for last yocky gen.

Venom wrote: »
    That kinda shows major stupidity on the dev teams part tho. No new console's hardware will ever come close to having the power of the new top of the range graphics cards that can cost more than the console itself.

Well bear in mind that neither one had any sort of released date at the time, I can't remember if they were even officially announced, I think the PS4 might not have been unveiled until late 2013. So they could easily have been thinking that the high end card they used at the show wouldn't be so fancy by the time the consoles came out.

I would say that the port to 360/PS3 was more damaging though. This does not appear to be pushing the limits of the new hardware. I'm sure Ubisoft are planning for this to sell at least 10 million copies though, and it simply wouldn't do that if it was just PC/XBO/PS4. When you consider that only the biggest multiplatform games sell over 1 million on PC, it means a large majority of PS4 and Xbox One owners would have to buy it to meet targets.
    calex71 wrote: »

Edit: shopping around on line comes in at €53 from amazon and €45 from videogames plus giving a margin for exchange rates, for €20 save I may be able to told out for the 10 day delivery from VGP

Are Gamesnash selling it? Last year they had a good price on The Last of Us and I got it a day before release from them.

C14N wrote: »

Are Gamesnash selling it? Last year they had a good price on The Last of Us and I got it a day before release from them.

No new releases from gamesnash for the time being, going through an overhaul at the moment as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The downgrade in resolution may have been a design decision, to enable them to make the city more believable/realistic with more pedestrians, traffic and bigger view distance.

Take GTA V for example, it runs at 720p @ 30fps on PS3 & Xbox 360. If they were to make a next-gen version of that, I'd prefer they increase the number of pedestrians, traffic, view distance, number of different cars loaded into memory, increase the number of players online (although that may be more of a netcode issue) rather than aim for 1080p at 60fps. Of course they won't do that, cause people would be complaining saying "Whats the point if it's not 1080p!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The EU PSN store is hopeless and always has been. It's so frustrating at times. The Americans can preorder the standard edition of Watchdogs for $59.99 or the Gold Edition for $79.99.

Incidentally the UFC game can be preordered there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kudros

Surely in theory you could buy the bog standard edition, and maybe the extra perks & levels will be brought out as a dlc or you can buy individually from their website or on steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kudros wrote: »
    Surely in theory you could buy the bog standard edition, and maybe the extra perks & levels will be brought out as a dlc or you can buy individually from their website or on steam?
    Rumor is , that if you purchase the Seasons pass you will receive all the pre order dlc at a later date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Rumor is , that if you purchase the Seasons pass you will receive all the pre order dlc at a later date

That has happened with Assassin Creed game pre-order bonus stuff in the past. So it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I learned my lesson at the end of the last gen. I will never buy a limited edition or season pass for any game ever again. The DLC is never ever worth it. Standard editions all the way from now on for me, same for steel book editions as they won't fit in DVD racks so they are out too.

I learned my lesson at the end of the last gen. I will never buy a limited edition or season pass for any game ever again. The DLC is never ever worth it. Standard editions all the way from now on for me, same for steel book editions as they won't fit in DVD racks so they are out too.

+1. Special editions on games you've never played are just silly. I understand releasing special editions of movies or even re-releasing games in special editions, because you know whether you love them or not but spending extra to fuel your devotion to something you mightn't even like is crazy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem is special and collector's editions have become just another way for publishers to persuade people to spend more on new titles by loading them with useless tat. It's manufacturing rarity, and most of the time it's simply not worth it. I liked the way Dark Souls games did it - offering special edition packages for first day purchasers at the same price as the standard edition.

I will confess that I wish more games had soundtrack editions: basically the one extra I tend to consider worthwhile.

Anyone recall one season pass of dlc that wasnt 4 multiplayer map packs and 1 single player content dlc?

The problem is special and collector's editions have become just another way for publishers to persuade people to spend more on new titles by loading them with useless tat. It's manufacturing rarity, and most of the time it's simply not worth it. I liked the way Dark Souls games did it - offering special edition packages for first day purchasers at the same price as the standard edition.

I will confess that I wish more games had soundtrack editions: basically the one extra I tend to consider worthwhile.

I agree, although really I think the soundtracks should just come with all games. I mean it just seems dumb to go and spend a load of money to make it and then only allow a tiny fraction of people who play the game to hear it outside the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I agree with you to the most part that special additions are a lot of usless tats these days. I do not normally go for it though I did go for the Vigilante version Watch Dogs. The best special addition for me was an Assassins creed the 3rd one with Conor had a very nice statue

Ubisoft prank the public with phone app that allows them to hack the city. I know these must be paid actors but it's a nice little video all the same and you can watch it in 1080p BOOM!

aaahhh No English.... hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Anyone recall one season pass of dlc that wasnt 4 multiplayer map packs and 1 single player content dlc?

Boarderlands 2. But then they went and released a load of DLC that wasn't covered under the season pass when everything was supposed to be at the start.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Pfft, all of those^ are only like 360P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Looks amazing, but there seems to be a 'disconnect' between the bike and the road... or is it just my eyes being funky?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, it looks like it's floating but when you're controlling it you'll be busy focusing elsewhere so I doubt it'll be that noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

cursai wrote: »
    wall-o-gifs

Have to say... it's looking as shallow as I expected it to be. GTAV arcade levels of downgrade going on for the driving it looks like... and that's a pretty big problem in a game where you do nothing but play with traffic. More of a nitpick but I also really don't dig that stupid white stringy digital stuff fiddling your screen space all day like, "Oh, look at this it's so digital and edgy!". It was tacky in AC and it's tacky now, Ubisoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Tiny gifs on 1080p monitor look fantastic. When you will have it 792/900p stretched over 42inch TV - it wont look so great.

Is it me or this trend of Gifs starting to get stupid and annoying. If I will see that Titanfall gif one more time, I will punch a bunny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is gonna be on gamestops trade two games in and get it for a tenner, so this is now a day one purchase.

Advertisement