Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

4Dlolz wrote: »
    Wouldn't believe a word out of IGN's mouth. These are the same people that give COD nearly perfect scores year in year out. Nothing more than a mouthpiece for these multi billion dollar companies.

Not that I give IGN's reviews any credibility, but the call of duty thing certainly isn't true.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think I'd actually trust that deeply untrustworthy review more than I'd trust Game Informer or IGN :p

Fair enough so Johnny :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

I used to read a bit of Edge magazine, back in the day™. If a game on my watch list got as high as a 7, it was an instant buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So what the deal with this on steam? I know it requires a one time uplay activation but curious if it will be using steam friends lists if its purchased through steam or everything still goes through ubisofts systems?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

cloud493 wrote: »
    Not that I give IGN's reviews any credibility, but the call of duty thing certainly isn't true.

You must be having a laugh - it's an internet meme at this stage.

COD4 - 9.4 Ok
    W@W - 9.2 Ok
    MW2 - 9.5 Ok
    BO1 - 8.5 Ok
    MW3 - 9.0 WTF
    BO2 - 9.3 WTF
    Ghosts - 8.8 WTF

LOL....I remember the guys doing the reviews for MW3... "OMG, I came in my pants when I played this game"....

IGN are jokers....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dair. wrote: »
    I used to read a bit of Edge magazine, back in the day™. If a game on my watch list got as high as a 7, it was an instant buy!

A 7 with Edge though was like an 8.5-9 for post other mags and sites. Edge hardly gave anything a 9 back in the day and I think only 2 games ever got a 10 but that's all gone now and they are throwing high scores around now that a questionable.

Myself, I don't care what score a game gets. I can tell very accurately from gameplay vids and brief demos if I like a game or not and buy them if I like them. There are games out there that get great scores all round but I don't like them at all like the Dark Souls games

Right now with Watch Dogs I'm on the fence. It's the gameplay that's getting to me more than anything else. It still does not look finished and it's missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

A 7 with Edge though was like an 8.5-9 for post other mags and sites. Edge hardly gave anything a 9 back in the day and I think only 2 games ever got a 10 but that's all gone now and they are throwing high scores around now that a questionable.

My point exactly. Their scoring system was logical and fair (back then anyway - haven't read it in over a decade at least). If a game scored highly, it deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

People should have a bit of patience before they rush out and buy a game. I don't bother with "official" reviews because most of them are the equivalent of paid adverts.
    Just wait a few days before the player reviews and gameplay videos come out if your anyway skeptical about this game. I'm happy enough waiting for some gameplay footage and word of mouth reviews from friends and trustworthy youtube channels

Reading through some of the comments regarding the review linked to earlier and it appears that many actively want the game to be a failure. Writing a game off based on a single review from a less than trustworthy source is just the height of stupidity. By all means form an opinion after reading dozens of reviews, playing a demo or the finished game but till then you really can't say anything about the game and expect to be taken seriously. Using the score as some refelction of the games quality is equally idiotic, a 7.2 is a pretty damn respectable score by anyones measurements, though what exactly it means is hard to know as the body of the review is so poorly written that the number feels like it was slapped on just because gamers expect it. I'd much rather a competently made game that gets respectable 6 or 7s from the gaming press and is fun to play over some 9 score review in which the writer talks about what an "OMG" experience it is. Read some of the reviews for each yearly incarnation of Call of Duty and you'd assume that the game is the greatest thing ever, only each years it's a rather bland and boring 6 hour single player campaign that's at least 2 hours too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Who are you responding to? The last page or two has been people saying the review doesn't matter because ratings are arbitrary and some of the more trustworthy sources haven't even reviewed it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

This better be good.. PS3 ps4 and xbox one and **** all play bar online shooters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just pre-ordered this today.
    Got €79 for NBA 2K14 and Infamous, which isn't too shabby.

^ Who are you responding to? The last page or two has been people saying the review doesn't matter because ratings are arbitrary and some of the more trustworthy sources haven't even reviewed it yet.

Obviously I was directing it at those who took a single review and wrote the game off. Didn't think it was that much of a mystery and while there'd been discussion about reviews and just how pointless they are in essence, we still have numerous posters actively hoping that the game will bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There is some leaked PS4 gameplay available on Youtube, captured at night and in the rain :D It looks amazing. I personally can't wait for this.

On a side note, I also watched some gameplay of Wolfenstein. That really looks like it could be a dark horse for GOTY, I'm certainly going to get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Looking forward to getting this. Anybody know the delivery costs for VGP are? Seems like it would be cheaper to get it from US PS store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Benzino wrote: »
    Looking forward to getting this. Anybody know the delivery costs for VGP are? Seems like it would be cheaper to get it from US PS store.
    How does the PS4 handle that sort of stuff? Are you able to purchase and download from the US account and then play it while your irish account is logged in, ala the PS3 or does it handle it like a VITA where you're only allowed have one account registered to the device at one time and those purchases only work with that account??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

How does the PS4 handle that sort of stuff? Are you able to purchase and download from the US account and then play it while your irish account is logged in, ala the PS3 or does it handle it like a VITA where you're only allowed have one account registered to the device at one time and those purchases only work with that account??

You can have as many accounts from as many regions as you like on the console simultaneously.

Set your American account up as your primary account and you can play it on any account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Benzino wrote: »

Delivery cost is about 5 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Xenji wrote: »
    Delivery cost is about 5 Euro.

Cheers, seems US PS store is the best option so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

DarkJager wrote: »
    There is some leaked PS4 gameplay available on Youtube, captured at night and in the rain :D It looks amazing. I personally can't wait for this.

On a side note, I also watched some gameplay of Wolfenstein. That really looks like it could be a dark horse for GOTY, I'm certainly going to get it now.

Dammit trying to decide which of these two to get and your talking me into getting both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

e_e wrote: »
    Only in the games industry would 7.2/10 be considered a negative rating. Madness.

It's just because of how games are reviewed like products. People still will give a game a 6 for not doing much more than functioning properly.
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Haha yeah IMDB is usually 6 - 8.5 is definitely worth a watch. Over 8.5 is *usually* arty shyte.!

Might be a while since you've checked it but most of them now are blockbusters. IMDB is usually pretty populist.
    Critic reviews are always in the 7-8 area. Not to mention actually using an arbitrary number to judge the quality of a game is asinine in my opinion. Seriously, 7.2... POINT 2? What could that 0.2 difference actually mean. Seriously I want the reviewer to explain to me the exact thing in the game that bumped it from regular ole 7 up by a fraction. And why put it in a number, why not EXPLAIN that thing in detail instead.

This. Any critic who rates things to two significant figures is ignored by me. The number is there to give a rough idea of your opinion, not to be a scientific measurement of "goodness".

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

The review embargo is lifted on the 27th, release day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ripperman wrote: »

I kinda agree with this, maybe the 26th.

Quite often games are ruined by reviewers and leaks all over the place which can take away a lot of the fun from games, and it can be quite hard to avoid all the spoilers.

ripperman wrote: »

Good..
    This way they'll be no rush job reviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Sonics2k wrote: »

Quite often games are ruined by reviewers and leaks all over the place which can take away a lot of the fun from games, and it can be quite hard to avoid all the spoilers.

I don't think it's story spoilers they're worried about....

A huge amount of people understood the visuals would look like something from an alien world but recent video leaks has brought disappointment and they're getting grilled over most major forums.

Sonics2k wrote: »

No to be fair, This is classic cover-up for an average product, we have seen it all before.

Bad press prior to release leads to negative day-1 sales & pre-order cancelations. Review embargo on the day of release is disappointing but clever by the publishers.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No to be fair, This is classic cover-up for an average product, we have seen it all before.

Bad press prior to release leads to negative day-1 sales & pre-order cancelations. Review embargo on the day of release is disappointing but clever by the publishers.

This is nothing but a tinfoil hat theory..

There's been loads of great games that have had embargoes till the day of release.
    Having an embargo means no rush jobs for reviewers.

Now if a publisher withholds review copies from reviewers until the game actually releases then thats a bad sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've no issue with embargoes but I would agree that one on or after release day is a bit ridiculous. Should be at least the day before.

That said, I still think Watchdogs will be a good game.

Advertisement