Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

No one is mad, merely finding it difficult to understand why it is so many people are willing this to fail. You cannot watch a compressed to hell video and then slate the game. It's like reading the blurb on a book and writing it off

I think people are happy to see this fail due to the unwarranted hype it was given, and also the blatant lies as regards the visual quality of it from the trailer 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

people getting so mad at any criticism of this game. Theyve either pre-ordered and cant cancel, or else were justifying their buying a next gen console on the hype of this game. Splinter cell on the xbox 360 looks a more interesting game than this.

Why don't you go play that then? None of the "criticism" here is worth a **** anyway because you haven't played it and neither has anybody else yet. I'll wait until Tuesday when I play it and others have played it to make up my own mind about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

DarkJager wrote: »
    As I was saying, you haven't played it yet.

I just explained why I don't need to play it to see and notice these things, but that's beyond you I guess.
    You watched a stream and decided to nit-pick these things

Bad A.I, physics and driving are nit-picking. K

so you could further the negative opinions

Watched the stream in hope that it would get me hyped for it again, actually.
    you have of the game before it's even released.

It's leaked, I don't need to wait for IGN sponsored videos to pop out, there's RAW gameplay footage. The dude is quite simply just playing the game non-stop. I've got the stream on my second monitor constantly, everytime I look at it there's nothing terribly impressive or unique happening.
    people getting so mad at any criticism of this game. Theyve either pre-ordered and cant cancel, or else were justifying their buying a next gen console on the hype of this game. Splinter cell on the xbox 360 looks a more interesting game than this.

Now now, most people haven't actually seen extensive gameplay or read fair critical reviews. It's not fair to assume people who are still excited for this game are anything but genuinely excited. There was a LOT of marketing for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

pretty narrow field of people right there Kaizer

I think people are happy to see this fail due to the unwarranted hype it was given, and also the blatant lies as regards the visual quality of it from the trailer 2 years ago.

What lies? Only a complete idiot would believe that the video was representative of how it played in anything but a high end PC. It's hardly the developers fault that the new gen consoles aren't able to handle what they want.

The hype was built up by gamers, no one else. They were the ones getting all excited over it and while Ubisoft capitalised in it without gamers salivating at the mouth there would have been considerable less hype n

• Advertisement

Go back to the first post in this thread and watch the video. Then go and watch any of the current trailers for it. Its like a completely different game. Classic bait and switch tactics from Ubisoft. Show an amazing video, get the pre-orders in, then release substandard product. I got burned badly by Ubisoft with AC3. Never again.

What lies? Only a complete idiot would believe that the video was representative of how it played in anything but a high end PC. It's hardly the developers fault that the new gen consoles aren't able to handle what they want.

The hype was built up by gamers, no one else. They were the ones getting all excited over it and while Ubisoft capitalised in it without gamers salivating at the mouth there would have been considerable less hype n

True true, but you can't ignore the massive amount of marketing this game has gotten and the fact that modern trailers and gameplay footage have completely dropped the warnings such as "Not representative of final product" "early build footage" and such - this was a big issue with Dark Souls II, let's not forget that whole mess. I think bringing back those small warnings at the start of trailers and such footage would've removed the controversy a lot of publishers seem to be almost begging for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

No one is getting mad. Most people just dislike unwarranted criticism.

What you've said regarding the similarity of the footage to GTA on the PS2 is no different than me saying "I see no appreciable difference in the character models between Unreal Engine 1 and 3". It's a ludicrous assertion.

And as an aside, I haven't pre-ordered it and I'll be getting it on the PC assuming it turns out to be decent.
    And these people are selfish assholes who also, due to their technical naivety, believe a company showing off a render target two years before the platforms it will eventually be released on and then miss it amounts to "lying".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

how about we forget all the niggly things that annoy us when playing the game and just enjoy it

the same way we have done with the likes of red dead redemption, gta v, bioshock or any other AAA, classic game you can think of

its near impossible even with the technology that we have today to make a perfect game.

like any medium its open to scutiny and the first trailer may never be what the final product is

sure look at the trailer for godzilla if you watch the trailer you may believe that
    bryan cranston is a major character and that its a monster movie with godzilla in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Seriously, who gives a flying fvck about graphics? If a game looks amazing but plays like ****, what's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never understand why people pre-order games so far in advance. It's never been easier to just wait until the game is released and definitive feedback starts filtering through from players and media alike. Apart from maybe GTA games, I can't recall the last time there was an actual shortage of supply for any title on release day (Watch_Dogs isn't exactly the sort of independent or niche game your local game retailer will get a single copy of in), and digital distribution has made shortages a moot point anyway (well, unless it's Guild Wars 2).

If you'd rather play a game at 12:01 AM on day one than wait a day or two to see if it's any good or not, than I'd really suggest readjusting your priorities. If you're suspicious of the game, wait until proper criticism starts coming through. But no game deserves the amount of bizarre ill-will Watch_Dogs has gotten in the last week or two, with people willing it to fail - when it comes out, fair game for criticism whether positive and negative. But nothing so far has amounted to anything more than hearsay and conjecture based on resources that can not by their very nature indicate how the game will play on the final hardware.

Seriously, who gives a flying fvck about graphics? If a game looks amazing but plays like ****, what's the point?

the point is , it doesnt seem to play amazing. Tyres screech on grass, cars handle like crap etc etc, read the post on the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

the point is , it doesnt seem to play amazing. Tyres screech on grass, cars handle like crap etc etc, read the post on the previous page.

maybe the grass was laid on an old cement basketball court and its burned through ya know coz they put in that level of detail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

ok. I'm not allowed an opinion now. :confused:

That's not an opinion though, it's just factually incorrect. If you told me you think dogs look like jellyfish, that's not a valid "opinion", that's you being either a bit touched in the head or horribly visually impaired.

Accusing anyone who disagrees with you of having a vested interest is pretty cheap. However, if we're clearing skeletons out here then I have not pre-ordered, I don't plan to buy this day one unless the reviews are exceptionally good and I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One. I also already have Splinter Cell Blacklist on Xbox 360, although I'm not sure what that game has to do with anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Who cares if tyres fart on the grass? I remember playing games on the commodore 64, sounds from the wheels were the least of our worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't really have issue with your criticisms in general however cars handle like crap is one I genuinely can't take seriously.

Surely for this you would have to at least play the game unless you mean you don't like the style of driving whether that be realistic or arcade which is fair enough.

The driving is definitely an arcade style and personally I prefer that.

I would also say it's a huge exaggeration to say the game looks nothing like it's reveal trailer. Is it as good looking? No I don't think so but it still looks the same.

As it's the regular comparison, The xbox 360 version certainly looks a bit bare, not as good as GTA5. However the PS4/PC/XO version definitely looks better than GTA5.

Found some webms, uploading to pomf.

http://a.pomf.se/cbstes.webm

http://a.pomf.se/cwvhld.webm

http://a.pomf.se/ldcfed.webm

http://a.pomf.se/fnclmn.webm

Unfamiliar with site so I don't know how long the files are hosted.

edit: Found a .zip with multiple webms within it. link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Do you like GTAV?
    >tires screech on grass: Fact, can be seen and heard from this stream.

Such as minor thing to be giving out about. Every game has bugs, this is one of them. The fact that you mention this seems, to me anyway, indicates you are trying your damn best to find fault with this game.
    >use focus to hack faster: Actual feature of the game

So I take it you don't like this feature???
    >driving and physics are bad: Can tell very quickly it's basic arcade driving with very little physics or depth to it. GTAV, basically.

So it's like GTAV then? Awesome, I like the driving in GTAV :) I take it you don't like GTAV's driving then.
    >police cars crash into each other: Fact, shown in the stream. So the police A.I isn't very good.

As they do in pretty much every GTA game ever made, True Crime games, pretty much any open-world game where police/enemies chase you.
    >helicopters on-scene 5 seconds after committing a crime: Fact, after slaughtering a train-car full of people, helicopters were in proximity and shown on map extremely quickly.

Again, this is just nit-picking. Ok, in GTA it may take them 15 seconds.
    >trains stop if you park in front of them (and nobody cares): Fact, it happened on the stream - he was supposed to hack it or something but he gave up and just parked his car right on the tracks... train slowed and eventually paused right on the tracks. He even went on and off the tracks making it start and stop over and over. He then got on the train and none of the civillians cared - the train operator was happy as a clown just sitting there looking at a car on the tracks, too.

I would imagine must train drivers would stop the train if there was a car on the tracks, no? Seems like expected behaviour in my opinion. What were you expecting, the driver to hop out of the train, walk over to you and start shouting at yeah? When have you ever seen that in a game. Again, this is just nit-picking, there is nothing wrong with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

For those not bothered by tires schreeching on grass etc,Gamestop appear to be doing a midnight opening for some stores.
    Got a phone call to say i could pick mine up at midnight although some might balk at the 75 euro price tag which as far as i know is not placeholder.
    Looking forward to it all the same.

Is that honestly the price they're charging for this ?? Daylight robbery.
    55 euro on amazon.Tesco usually have big games for 50 or so on release day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Jesus that is ridiculous in fairness.

There is no chance I'll be spending that on any game. I'll probably pick this up off vgp or the US PSN for around €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Xtravision selling it for 65 euro ps4 with breakthrough special edition pack.

Also, GTA V nailed the driving (imo) so will be happy if Watch Dogs is more of the same, driving wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will get it on the pc for around €35 tomorrow i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't €75 the PS4 price? The rest are cheaper. That said, they're not much cheaper. Gamestop isn't the best place to buy from, with their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah €75 for PS4/XB1, €65 for PS3/360

Shocking.

Sorry, XV actually selling the PS4 one for 70 while the ps3 version is 60

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/watch-dogs-no-layout-updates-15597.html

70 quid...uuuggghhh. Looking forward to the eventual new release ps4 prices drop to 60 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Stupid embargoes... Bound by agreement not to even let people know whether I have the game or not

(the above may be a loophole for that particular agreement)

Also bound by agreement not to tell people if it's good or bad until 00.01 on Tuesday. Instead I might just talk about another game that was mentioned in the thread, Splinter Cell Blacklist. That's what I'll do. I'll sporadically post thoughts about Blacklist

COYVB wrote: »
    Stupid embargoes... Bound by agreement not to even let people know whether I have the game or not

Also bound by agreement not to tell people if it's good or bad until 00.01 on Tuesday. Instead I might just talk about another game that was mentioned in the thread, Splinter Cell Blacklist. That's what I'll do. I'll sporadically post thoughts about Blacklist

The solution is simple in my opinion for the consumer. Don't pre-order if the embargo is on the exact time of release. Have a small bit of patience and wait a day.

COYVB wrote: »

COYVB, I know you can't give anything away but in the final version on next gen, are there tire screech sounds when on the grass? Blink once for yes, twice for maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

US PSN store all the way!

Advertisement