Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't recall the last time there was an actual shortage of supply for any title on release day (Watch_Dogs isn't exactly the sort of independent or niche game your local game retailer will get a single copy of in), and digital distribution has made shortages a moot point anyway (well, unless it's Guild Wars 2).
    With steam it seems pointless to even buy it when it's released. Give it a month and it'll be on sale. Then it doesn't even need to be all that great a game because you didn't pay out a lot to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

sheehy83 wrote: »
    COYVB, I know you can't give anything away but in the final version on next gen, are there tire screech sounds when on the grass? Blink once for yes, twice for maybe.

You know I've been wondering about the comment of car tires screeching on grass. Is it possible that Aiden Pearce has spent so long on his phone and augmented reality games, that his mind is warped and he can "hear" the grass screaming under his car? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ScumLord wrote: »
    With steam it seems pointless to even buy it when it's released. Give it a month and it'll be on sale. Then it doesn't even need to be all that great a game because you didn't pay out a lot to get it.
    And then we get to complain when publishers don't put as much effort into the PC version as the console ones, yay! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I shouldn't be telling ye negative nancy's but there are a few Irish gaming sites on facebook holding competitions to win the DedSec edition. 1st one I saw that went live is from Click

http://www.clickonline.com/games/win-the-dedsec-special-edition-of-watch-dogs-right-here!/26257/

DownloadImage.Ashx?ImageId=315452&ImageSize=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Benzino wrote: »
    Such as minor thing to be giving out about. Every game has bugs, this is one of them. The fact that you mention this seems, to me anyway, indicates you are trying your damn best to find fault with this game.

It is minor, never said it was a big thing. But the game had a very large budget and 5 years of development. It's not that something like this ruins it or comes even close to not basing a purchase on it - it's that it's such a basic thing to miss in all the years of developing and testing it doesn't speak well for the rest. I also do believe attention to detail is really what finishes off immersion in a game.
    So I take it you don't like this feature???

Em, no - I don't like casual mechanics in games. Press X to hack, press x again to hack faster. I'd like a bit more substance to mini-games. Something even akin to Bioshock hacking of the machines or TES lockpicking. "Use focus to hack faster", focus is the same thing as the bullet-time right... which a completely normal hacker person shouldn't even have. It just suggests AAA casual nonsense.
    So it's like GTAV then? Awesome, I like the driving in GTAV I take it you don't like GTAV's driving then.

You guess right. GTAV driving is hella simple and required very little skill. It actually ruined the online (if it wasn't ruined enough on its own) by not allowing you to escape from other hostile online players because they could catch up to you just by holding acceleration down all the way. It's not even close to realistic, not that I expect it to be hyper-realistic but I definitely don't likearcade-y driving in open-world game like GTA or WD where you'll be doing a lot of it. (well maybe not in WD, fast travel and all that).
    As they do in pretty much every GTA game ever made, True Crime games, pretty much any open-world game where police/enemies chase you.

GTA V police where actually done pretty well. Not flawless (too aggressive) but they didn't crash into each other like in IV and they actually worked well together to box you and in T-bone you.
    Again, this is just nit-picking. Ok, in GTA it may take them 15 seconds.

It's nit-picking for something that could've been done better simply by extending the time or how the police respond. The fact that it's like the GTA star system is bad since that is a very old way to be putting the heat on the player. In the stream, everyone was killed with no survivors to call the police - Police should show up guns drawn because of gunfire soon enough (maybe 1 mintue?) but they were on the scene in a helicopter and with a full description of the player in less than 10 seconds. It's not good in WD and it wasn't good in GTA (but it's more acceptable in GTA because of its silly nature).

I would imagine must train drivers would stop the train if there was a car on the tracks, no?

More like hit the emergency breaks and call the police... not that it needed to since it was going at a snail-pace. Not impressive. One thing you'd expect with a train is for it to be going fast and for anything on the tracks to be crashed into.
    What were you expecting, the driver to hop out of the train, walk over to you and start shouting at yeah? When have you ever seen that in a game. Again, this is just nit-picking, there is nothing wrong with the above.

That's actually very much what I'd be expecting, since it happened in GTAIV with regular drivers if you bumped or crashed into their vehicles - they'd hop out and complain their car was wrecked and call you names - taxi drivers would often even pick a fight with you. Are you saying that's too advanced for WD... they couldn't even have n reaction animation for the train operator, or have him call the cops? Call it nit-picking if you want, I'd call it having standards for a current-generation game with a 68 million dollar budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

70 -75 euro for watch dogs you say?? Ill stick with cod ghosts and fifa so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You'd genuinely be crazy to spend 70 euro or more on the standard game. Even if you want it immediately you'd save at least fifteen to twenty euro online - Amazon will get it to you by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest if you use Parcel Motel. Digital or physical US versions will be even cheaper again, and with the latter all you'll be waiting for is the length of the download.

Even if money is not an issue, why would you go for the most expensive option when the alternates are just as handy (arguably even handier)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

70 -75 euro for watch dogs you say?? Ill stick with cod ghosts and fifa so my hand up my a$$

:pac::pac:

Sorry to hard to resist!

Looking forward to the angry joe review of this already :D

You'd genuinely be crazy to spend 70 euro or more on the standard game. Even if you want it immediately you'd save at least fifteen to twenty euro online - Amazon will get it to you by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest if you use Parcel Motel. Digital or physical US versions will be even cheaper again, and with the latter all you'll be waiting for is the length of the download.

Even if money is not an issue, why would you go for the most expensive option when the alternates are just as handy (arguably even handier)?

Found this: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1834-watch-dogs

That's €42.90 (PC). Since it's Ubisoft, I doubt there'll be any big sales on this title but who knows how things will be in a few months from now when hype dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It will be around €43 if u buy digital from the xbox one us store😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It is minor, never said it was a big thing. But the game had a very large budget and 5 years of development. It's not that something like this ruins it or comes even close to not basing a purchase on it - it's that it's such a basic thing to miss in all the years of developing and testing it doesn't speak well for the rest. I also do believe attention to detail is really what finishes off immersion in a game.

But 5 years of development does not ensure it will be bug free. This is just a minor bug (that could already be patched for all we know). Testing every surface in an open-world game would be next to impossible. GTA has similar issues, where you can clip through walls.
    Em, no - I don't like casual mechanics in games. Press X to hack, press x again to hack faster. I'd like a bit more substance to mini-games. Something even akin to Bioshock hacking of the machines or TES lockpicking. "Use focus to hack faster", focus is the same thing as the bullet-time right... which a completely normal hacker person shouldn't even have. It just suggests AAA casual nonsense.

Bioshock hacking was laughable, terrible implementation. I get the idea of a mini-game for hacking might have been good, but honestly, considering you hack everything in the game, it would become very annoying after a while. GTA for example again, the hacking in that does my head in. You say it should be done for machines, but realistically you would have to do it for everything otherwise there is no consistency.
    You guess right. GTAV driving is hella simple and required very little skill.

Fair enough, I think the driving in GTA is perfect for the game that it is.
    It actually ruined the online (if it wasn't ruined enough on its own) by not allowing you to escape from other hostile online players because they could catch up to you just by holding acceleration down all the way. It's not even close to realistic, not that I expect it to be hyper-realistic but I definitely don't likearcade-y driving in open-world game like GTA or WD where you'll be doing a lot of it. (well maybe not in WD, fast travel and all that).

Erm, of course you can escape others :confused: You still have to take corners correctly, avoid traffic and environmental objects. Cars still spin out and their handling varies based on the car you are driving.
    GTA V police where actually done pretty well. Not flawless (too aggressive) but they didn't crash into each other like in IV and they actually worked well together to box you and in T-bone you.

I play a lot of GTA V and police definitely crash into each other a lot. Until you play Watch Dogs it is hard to tell, but one stream I was watching the police cornered him into an alleyway, blocking the only 2 entrances by car. Seems just as good as GTA, but again until we play it's hard to compare.
    It's nit-picking for something that could've been done better simply by extending the time or how the police respond. The fact that it's like the GTA star system is bad since that is a very old way to be putting the heat on the player. In the stream, everyone was killed with no survivors to call the police - Police should show up guns drawn because of gunfire soon enough (maybe 1 mintue?) but they were on the scene in a helicopter and with a full description of the player in less than 10 seconds. It's not good in WD and it wasn't good in GTA (but it's more acceptable in GTA because of its silly nature).

1 minute is too long. You would have fled the scene and be well gone at that stage. That is easily tweak-able, and no doubt they will patch it if people are complaining about it.
    That's actually very much what I'd be expecting, since it happened in GTAIV with regular drivers if you bumped or crashed into their vehicles - they'd hop out and complain their car was wrecked and call you names - taxi drivers would often even pick a fight with you. Are you saying that's too advanced for WD... they couldn't even have n reaction animation for the train operator, or have him call the cops?

Well that's completely different, I would expect car drivers in Watch Dogs to react the same. But that's not what we are talking about here. You can block the tram in GTA and it stops and just sits there. No cops or nothing come after you. Could they call the cops? Of course, but from a gameplay perspective that would be very annoying.

I find it annoying that cops chase you about the place for 5 minutes just because you steal a car in GTA. Realistic? yes. Fun? no. You need to sacrifice realism for fun when designing these games, otherwise where does it end? Cops chasing you cause you drove on the wrong side of the road? Or broke the speed limit?
    Call it nit-picking if you want, I'd call it having standards for a current-generation game with a 68 million dollar budget.

It most definitely is nit-picking. I guess GTA V did not live up to your standards either in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

wes wrote: »
    Maybe someone posted an embargoed review in error?

Unlikely. More likely they got the game in, and a member of staff took one (with permission) to write up a review. Embargoes only apply to those who receive a review copy from the publisher on acceptance of terms

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where would be the cheapest to buy for PC? Looks like my ps4 has bit the dust :(.

Where would be the cheapest to buy for PC? Looks like my ps4 has bit the dust :(.

It died? D: What happened...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It died? D: What happened...

Didn't die as such,it just wont keep the cds in,keeps ejecting it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mine does that every few weeks. Plugging it out completely for a few hours usually fixes it. Read somewhere that it's a slightly loose screw that's easy enough to fix, but until it starts becoming a bigger problem, I'm leaving it alone for now.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    :pac::pac:

Sorry to hard to resist!

Looking forward to the angry joe review of this already :D

Bravo good sir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Im thinking of going with cdkeys.com its 25 pounds. Cant see anywhere else cheaper(that i trust) at the min

• Advertisement

Ah the dreaded EDDF problem

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

COYVB wrote: »
    Instead I might just talk about another game that was mentioned in the thread, Splinter Cell Blacklist. That's what I'll do. I'll sporadically post thoughts about Blacklist

The visuals on the 360 version of splinter cell blacklist aren't quite as bad in person as they look online. But they're not great all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

COYVB wrote: »
    The visuals on the 360 version of splinter cell blacklist aren't quite as bad in person as they look online. But they're not great all the same
    Compared to GTA V and other open world games or just in general?

Well I suppose I'm a bit skewed here having spent most of the last 6 months on next gen, so I'd have to load something else up for a comparison. I suppose, given the age of the 360, that the Splinter Cell: Blacklist graphics are probably pretty solid for the system all things considered. Obviously they're not up to par with something like Ground Zeroes or anything, but they're serviceable. I'm trying to think, off the top of my head, how they rank with GTA... I suppose a shade worse maybe? But they're trying to do a bit more I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Anybody know how much hmv or argos will be selling the ps4 version for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Watch Dogs playable beneath minimum PC specifications, no lock on 6GB RAM requirement
    Developer Jonathan Morin has confirmed that there won't be a hard locking mechanism preventing anyone from playing with less than the minimum amount of RAM.

6GB of RAM is a hefty requirement for a PC game, even when a good number of PC gamers have no problem meeting it. Not having a hard lock helps open Watch Dogs up to people who may want to play on a laptop or a lower end desktop. There will be some lag involved when running with less than 6GB according to Morin, but as long as nothing else is open you should be able to make do with 4GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

biggebruv wrote: »
    Anybody know how much hmv or argos will be selling the ps4 version for?

HMV is €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

cloud493 wrote: »
    HMV is €70.

damm what are the chances of argos doing a 60:confused:

70yoyos ****e I wanna play it so guess im gonna have to fork it over:o:(:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Argos might do €62, they're usually a couple of quid cheaper.

Advertisement