Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Anybody else being put off buying new as the prices reduction can be crazy after a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I know you can likely get it for cheaper, still my point being, if you pay 70 for a game you're a gobshite, if you pay 50 or less for a game being sold by most for 70 you're not a gobshite. People seemed to oversight this in my point..

Problem is with console games i buy in store on release as i don't trust online orders for timely deliveries on release, i haven't bought a console game on release in years because most stores nowadays sell for crazy prices as all stores which sold for a decent price no longer exist, or those that used to sell alot cheaper now sell at crazy prices due to the lack of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

people giving out about the length of games today IMO they last a hell of alot longer

the ps1 days youd pay 40-50 for a RESI game and they can last about 6hours total obviously if ya didt know what to do you would be on it alot longer
    but in those resi games could be done in 3hours or so

games have become easier if games were as hard as they were back then we would all get weeks out of todays games LOL.

I still think the reason so many can finish GTAV alot quicker than any other is because it has checkpoints now where as in the PS2 days youd be brought back to the hospital before you even started the mission

if you fail the mission enough times in GTAV it basicly lets you skip it LOL WTF no need for that in games IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

nix wrote: »
    I know you can likely get it for cheaper, still my point being, if you pay 70 for a game you're a gobshite, if you pay 50 or less for a game being sold by most for 70 you're not a gobshite. People seemed to oversight this in my point..

Problem is with console games i buy in store on release as i don't trust online orders for timely deliveries on release, i haven't bought a console game on release in years because most stores nowadays sell for crazy prices as all stores which sold for a decent price no longer exist, or those that used to sell alot cheaper now sell at crazy prices due to the lack of competition.

and no store is selling it below 70 on day 1 sadly but if wanna play it day1 sadly we have to fork over 70

I perfer stores to and to me I cant wait so 70 it is so I guess im a GOB****E:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

This thread has gone slightly off-topic these last couple pages! I know ye're talking about the price of new games and watch_dogs is a new game but wouldn't this talk be better off in a topic/thread of it's own as there seems quite a bit of interest in it.

I'm missing all the slating of an unreleased game for all the important things such as tires smoking on grass etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

nix wrote: »

I live "off the radar" and only use cash, so my only option is to pay cash from a bricks and mortar retailer at the 65-70 euro range. So does that make me a gobshite?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

I'm starting to think it's better to always stay a couple of years behind the latest games, Deus Ex:HR, Witcher 2, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite and who knows what else have gone for under 5 dollars each.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

crybaby wrote: »
    I'm starting to think it's better to always stay a couple of years behind the latest games, Deus Ex:HR, Witcher 2, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite and who knows what else have gone for under 5 dollars each.

Not for me. I find a lot of enjoyment of watching tv shows, movies and playing new games and then discussing them with other people. Seeing what other people thought, what choices other people made, etc.

You cant do that if you are a year behind everyone else. They have all moved on and you are missing out on the social aspect of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Dunno if anyone posted it here...but

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

Kirby wrote: »
    Not for me. I find a lot of enjoyment of watching tv shows, movies and playing new games and then discussing them with other people. Seeing what other people thought, what choices other people made, etc.

You cant do that if you are a year behind everyone else. They have all moved on and you are missing out on the social aspect of gaming.

I would agree with you on tv shows and movies but then again they are much cheaper to consume than brand new video games. I tend to find if a game is genuinely good that the discussion and community around it will be more interesting especially when it comes to mods etc a year or so down the line.

For on-line games I would want to buy on release date. Anyway I won't be going near Watch Dogs for awhile as I still have to finish Dishonored and Red Dead Redemption.

If I was single and had the money spare my mind might change but with a family and two kids I'll probably be waiting for the Steam sale in a couple of years before I buy Watch Dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Even being a few months behind on game releases can save you a lot of money. I went from buying every game I wanted on day one, to waiting until it drops in price to a reasonable level.

Coupling that with plugging my pic into my tv, and I've saved hundreds while gaming more than ever.

I'll eventually buy watch dogs, but I'm in no real rush. I'm not missing out on any discussing either, as I only talk about gaming on here. My friends have zero interest in games, and some of them are still of the belief that gaming causes all sorts of mental problems. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

crybaby wrote: »

Watchdogs will be under a tenner in 6 months on PC. Hopefully by then there will be some mods available too, especially a graphics mod along the lines of the Ice mod for GTA4 to really show off the game. There's so many great games out now that it makes sense to wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

When will the reviews be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Batesy wrote: »
    When will the reviews be released?

Tomorrow. You can watch gameplay on twitch you'll get a good idea of what the game is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Watchdogs will be under a tenner in 6 months on PC. Hopefully by then there will be some mods available too, especially a graphics mod along the lines of the Ice mod for GTA4 to really show off the game. There's so many great games out now that it makes sense to wait a while.

Yep, too many good games in my backlog to cough up for this now. I'll wait until this shows up on Steam for €9.99 with both DLC add ons in 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i look forward to this, but am disappointed at how poor it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

http://i.imgur.com/tXvW87H.jpg

What in the actual...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

What in the actual...

Good lord....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I live "off the radar" and only use cash, so my only option is to pay cash from a bricks and mortar retailer at the 65-70 euro range. So does that make me a gobshite?

Sure we all have 100 meg lines... :D

Love my bogband :(

What in the actual...

This game is getting heavy scrutiny but I have looked at games with much shaprer detail than this on the x360.
    Equivilant to high settings my arse.

• Advertisement

Sure we all have 100 meg lines... :D

Love my bogband :(

You can count me in too; 2meg line Eircom fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Just to be clear, despite saying 'XBox', that screenshot was taken on a PC with settings on High and resolution at 792p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

What in the actual...
    Regardless of what that post says, the XBox One version has visibly lower resolution textures and has little to no AA applied.

As for the PC version, if you're running it at 1408x792 then you're probably not in a position to be complaining about the lack of next-gen graphics on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Ugh sooooooooo many trolls on this tread about this game and it's "terrible" graphics and not up to their high standards, you trolls need to cop on simple!. There is no way this game looks as bad as you lot keep saying, it's not the best looking game but still not the stinking pile of turd some of you are complaining about.
    Get over it no amount of b1tching and moaning will change it so either give it a rest or if playing on pc make mods to improve it or become a developer and and reproduce it in the eye bleeding 4k at 120fps that you graphics whor3s all seem to want and be able to do yourselves seen as you are soo critical about the visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gizmo wrote: »
    Regardless of what that post says, the XBox One version has visibly lower resolution textures and has little to no AA applied.

As for the PC version, if you're running it at 1408x792 then you're probably not in a position to be complaining about the lack of next-gen graphics on display.

It's a 792p screenshot which has been stretched to a height of 1297 pixels and then compressed to JPEG. Pretty hard to say anything about texture resolution or AA after an image has been that badly distorted.

I'm not even defending the game, since I have no motivation to do so, just pointing out some realities that may be overlooked. The screenshot is meaningless.

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Ugh sooooooooo many trolls on this tread about this game and it's "terrible" graphics and not up to their high standards, you trolls need to cop on simple!. There is no way this game looks as bad as you lot keep saying, it's not the best looking game but still not the stinking pile of turd some of you are complaining about.
    Get over it no amount of b1tching and moaning will change it so either give it a rest or if playing on pc make mods to improve it or become a developer and and reproduce it in the eye bleeding 4k at 120fps that you graphics whor3s all seem to want and be able to do yourselves seen as you are soo critical about the visuals.

Breaking down the maturity of your post is a struggle, it's like reading a metacritic post.
    There is nobody 'trolling here' about graphics from what I can see.
    I have clearly stated that image sharpness is slack, so I expect some form of improvement from lat gen.

I can't comment further on this because I'm not sure how legitimate this comparision is as pointed out by Maximus;
    Just to be clear, despite saying 'XBox', that screenshot was taken on a PC with settings on High and resolution at 792p.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Richie6904 wrote: »

My vote for post of the week

My vote for post of the week

Its Monday ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I got to play some of this and I'm really of two minds whether to pick it up or not. It's fun, but nothing mind blowing. The hacking sections are probably the highlight. You've probably seen it in the videos where you can control cameras and jump from one camera to another, scouting around until you see various control boxes to hack, then it goes into a kind of Pipe-mania style puzzle, of rotating pieces in order to get a connection stream to an end point. It'll probably get boring after a while, but it's fun to use all the little tricks you have at your disposal.

But the rest of the game is very GTA like. Not a bad thing in itself, but not too inspired. There's loads of stuff to do, but a lot of it is based around car missions, which I always hated (probably because I'm rubbish at them) and despite the variety of them usually amount to either racing to a point within a set time-limit, or destroying a specific car, then running away until the heat dies down.

With the non-car stuff, there's quite a few slight platform puzzles and tracing lines back to their source puzzles, and completing these can give you access to random cameras in peoples homes, where you get to hear bits and pieces about their lives. I haven't checked IMDB to see who's in the game, but I did find a cameo by
    Aisha Tyler
    who was making fun of their friend that was complaining about all the surveillance in the city. I'm hoping there's plenty more little things like that.

The story so far (very early stages) seems fairly uninspired, but time will tell.

I only got a couple of hours with it, so I don't know how well it expands on the content. As I said, it's fun but nothing special. I don't think you'd be disappointed with buying it, but unless you're really excited to get it, just wait a while for more thorough reviews. I was mostly playing the PC version which looks pretty good, and I had a short burst with the PS4 version which is obviously not going to be as good, but not terrible by any stretch. Not the greatest draw distance in either version, but it was enough that you could see distant objects in more than enough time to avoid them.

Advertisement