Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How big is the map humanji?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thank you Humanji - all I've been waiting to see were some honest words written by someone I know :)

I'd kinda figured this might go on my "wait for first or second round of price reductions" list having seen what it was all about. I've been getting a very Assassins Creed meets GTA sort of vibe off it since it was announced - both are series I love, but I didn't play Black Flag yet cause I got kinda burned out with the AC series and at the moment, I'm locked into GTA Online *hard* and don't really want to break away from it yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

How big is the map humanji?
    It's actually quite big. Not San Andreas big, but it's a large city with various zones in it. Maybe about the size of the city part of San Andreas, before you go over the hills into the desert.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Thank you Humanji - all I've been waiting to see were some honest words written by someone I know :)

I'd kinda figured this might go on my "wait for first or second round of price reductions" list having seen what it was all about. I've been getting a very Assassins Creed meets GTA sort of vibe off it since it was announced - both are series I love, but I didn't play Black Flag yet cause I got kinda burned out with the AC series and at the moment, I'm locked into GTA Online *hard* and don't really want to break away from it yet :)
    I didn't get to have a shot at the multiplayer in this, but heard that it's quite fun in the Assassin's Creed kind of "not knowing who the enemy is" kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Think ill honestly have to pass on the game for the moment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Amazon are processing my order so no going back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Was actually hoping this would be much more stealth orientated than it actually is.

Seems to be a lot of run and gun GTA knock off type stuff which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Amazon are processing my order so going back now.

Mine too! :)

I'd love if this turned out to be a really solid, fun title. Looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ripperman wrote: »
    Mine too! :)

I'd love if this turned out to be a really solid, fun title. Looking forward to giving it a go.

I think there will be plenty of fun to be had with it. Not sure if it will be the ground-breaking, world-shaking title people were hoping for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I don't really understand all the hype that surrounded this game, the gameplay footage I've seen makes it look like a fairly run of the mill GTA clone with a few twists here and there, from what I've heard the story seems to be fairly mediocre too.
    I doubt its a bad game it just all looks a bit bland or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't really understand all the hype that surrounded this game, the gameplay footage I've seen makes it look like a fairly run of the mill GTA clone with a few twists here and there, from what I've heard the story seems to be fairly mediocre too.
    I doubt its a bad game it just all looks a bit bland or something.
    I think it's the prospects of a new IP from a big company that excites people. Too many large publishers rely too heavily on new iterations of old series to keep money flowing, and they just refuse to take a chance with new projects. With UBIsoft you'd know that there's a high chance that they're going to put a lot of effort into it, especially since they want this to be a new franchise, so they'll really want to first outing to hook players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Managed to have a bit of a go at it yesterday, only about an hours worth of gameplay mind so can't comment on a hell of a lot.

One thing that stands out is that I can see people's complaints about the driving, I spent most of my time driving and running about hacking things. Driving is really strange and feels like your rear wheels are those off a shopping trolley, it's very easy to spin the car or have it bouncing left and right off the walls like it's made of jelly.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Managed to have a bit of a go at it yesterday, only about an hours worth of gameplay mind so can't comment on a hell of a lot.

One thing that stands out is that I can see people's complaints about the driving, I spent most of my time driving and running about hacking things. Driving is really strange and feels like your rear wheels are those off a shopping trolley, it's very easy to spin the car or have it bouncing left and right off the walls like it's made of jelly.
    Driving should be considered a critical aspect of mechanics for a game of this type. Especially if 90% of the levels demand it. It's such a shame.

In comparison; where GTA IV got it all wrong, GTA V got it all right. It was a pure joy to drive anywhere on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Any reviews worth reading yet? Or will be tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Any reviews worth reading yet? Or will be tomorrow?

Tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

humanji wrote: »
    I think it's the prospects of a new IP from a big company that excites people. Too many large publishers rely too heavily on new iterations of old series to keep money flowing, and they just refuse to take a chance with new projects. With UBIsoft you'd know that there's a high chance that they're going to put a lot of effort into it, especially since they want this to be a new franchise, so they'll really want to first outing to hook players.

That is true however if you think back to AC1 it was lovely looking had some great things you could do like eagle vision and the way to open the map but the gameplay got bland as you did the same things in every mission except maybe how to kill the main target. It got people hooked and improved in the subsequent games (ending let down 3) I feel this may happen with Watch dogs they went so far but did not want to go too far due to how people will feel. If there will be a 2 I say they will go even deeper in what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kudros

All reviews will be out tomorrow, I've played about 3hrs of this & the driving is really weird, hard to get used to, also when you switch to cockpit view it's actually easier to drive with than using the view from behind the car. Saying that there's a lot in the game so far to justify buying it, from what I've played, mostly 4-5 campaign missions the AI seems to be pretty decent & great fun to try to confuse/distract/divert them to where you want them to go. Also when being chased by the cops trying to raise bollards or bridges when the cops are almost always behind you is bloody hard, it's easy when you're approaching them but once you're past them it seems almost impossible to raise them, maybe I'm wrong on this and need to give it more time to suss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

My order has shipped according to gamestop, hopefully ill have it tomorrow

Hope its good now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Wow, really shows up watch dogs as being a poor mans GTA. Terrible lighting effects, unrealistic car damage. Poor rag doll physics when you hit pedestrians. Very sloppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Poor mans GTA is a very good description from what I have seen.

It definitely doesn't live up to what I expected it to be. Especially with all the delays. I will eventually buy it down the line for a few €.

It makes me want to go out and re-buy GTA 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

is that comparsion vid above from the PS4/xbone versions or the ps3/360 versions???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God im so sick of the phrase "poor mans GTA" and the smugness of people who think they are making an incredibly intelligent observation everytime they say it as if it hadnt been already repeated in this thread alone about 500 times.

And before anyone says im butthurt or whatever cus i preordered. Yes I did preorder and I have no regrets whatsoever cus I didnt build my expectations up a mile for this game. Its simply something im sure ill enjoy for a bit, without caring about the car damage models or driving physics, until the big releases start landing in september october

i could understand the little details being left out of the ps3/360 version as watchdogs should have more information flowing through the game what with hacking and stuff where GTA would not have any of that stuff

im sure if you look hard enough you could find these errors in a gta aswell no?

anyone know when the game will be up on the argos website hoping to reserve a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

VinLieger wrote: »
    God im so sick of the phrase "poor mans GTA" and the smugness of people who think they are making an incredibly intelligent observation everytime they say it as if it hadnt been already repeated in this thread alone about 500 times.

And before anyone says im butthurt or whatever cus i preordered. Yes I did preorder and I have no regrets whatsoever cus I didnt build my expectations up a mile for this game. Its simply something im sure ill enjoy for a bit, without caring about the car damage models or driving physics, until the big releases start landing in september october

I think 'poor mans GTA' is just a way to sum up the overall first look experience. I was expecting something with incredible immersion with really great driving mechanics and great detail. Sadly they seem to be really missing here.

I hate the way the cars look like they are floating and the lack of damage physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

God im so sick of the phrase "poor mans GTA"
    Even as a poor mans GTA I think it could do well on PC since there's no sign of the rich mans GTA (V) any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

ScumLord wrote: »
    Even as a poor mans GTA I think it could do well on PC since there's no sign of the rich mans GTA (V) any time soon.
    That, but with the PS4 in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

What big releases are coming in September/October?

EDIT: genuine inquiry, all I'm seeing on the horizon are more sequels/remasters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

biggebruv wrote: »
    is that comparsion vid above from the PS4/xbone versions or the ps3/360 versions???

pc

• Advertisement

It shipped \0/

Advertisement