Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

VinLieger wrote: »
    God im so sick of the phrase "poor mans GTA" and the smugness of people who think they are making an incredibly intelligent observation everytime they say it as if it hadnt been already repeated in this thread alone about 500 times.

And before anyone says im butthurt or whatever cus i preordered. Yes I did preorder and I have no regrets whatsoever cus I didnt build my expectations up a mile for this game. Its simply something im sure ill enjoy for a bit, without caring about the car damage models or driving physics, until the big releases start landing in september october

There is nothing to be smug about. It's more of a major disapointement that one of the AAA titles for 2014 has turned out to have average driving mechanincs and mediocre visuals compared to what was promised.

This year has a limited amount of games that I have any interest in considering how spoilt we were last year and I was initally looking forward to this at the least but I'm not now. What big releases coming in Automn btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

all that realism was great in GTA4 but did all that stuff take time away from developing side activities and stuff its well known alot of people thought GTA4 lacked that stuff

hopfully watchdogs cant match up to that by delivering great content to actually play instead of how detailed it is Id take stuff I can actully do in the game than how it gets all the little things right and obviously rockstar are known to be the best in the business when it comes to tiny details in there games

and as impressive as the GTA4 graphics were with the scratches and walls breaking I cant say I really ever took proper notice of it till someone points it out:o

this time tomorrow we can all have a good sit down with the game and give are true verdicts from actuall gameplay we play ourselfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

VinLieger wrote: »
    God im so sick of the phrase "poor mans GTA"

Sick of it or not, it's the perfect description

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kudros

I found the below on another forum and totally agree with it from what I've played of it.

"It's really easy to earn money just by hacking people as you walk around, then going to one of the plentiful ATM machines to draw out the cash that it makes some of the side-quests almost pointless unless you earn a Skill point from it. If you only get $3,000 for driving a car from A to B while avoiding the police, which takes a few minutes, but you can earn $10,000+ in that same time just walking around hacking then what's the point?

I have accumulated so much cash (on Normal/Medium difficulty), some $150,000, that I have nothing else to spend it on. I have all the guns, all the cars (that I've unlocked) and all the outfits and there doesn't seem to be anything else to spend it on. All the shops sell the same items so there's no reason to go to different shops either like, say, in GTA V. Also finding hidden bags of money that contain $400 at most is laughable when you can get more than that from a minutes worth of hacking."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can't wait for angry Joe's review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There is nothing to be smug about. It's more of a major disapointement that one of the AAA titles for 2014 has turned out to have average driving mechanincs and mediocre visuals compared to what was promised.

This year has a limited amount of games that I have any interest in considering how spoilt we were last year and I was initally looking forward to this at the least but I'm not now. What big releases coming in Automn btw?
    Off the top of my head there's The Evil Within, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Alien: Isolation, Batman: Arkham Knight, Shadow of Mordor, Evolve and The Order: 1886.

As well as "smaller" titles like Wasteland 2, Tales from the Borderlands, Hotline Miami 2, Rime and The Witness. All of which could be excellent despite not being "big" releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It'll be a shame if this isnt at least halfway decent. I remember the initial reveal a few years back where it seemed very impressive. I think it might be a case of Ubisoft having "colonial marines syndrome" where some great trailers arent representative of the actual finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Can't wait for angry Joe's review.

"You done Fcuked it up". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The problem that I feel with it is that they felt the need to shoehorn the GTA style car play into it. It comes across as filler and is annoying when all you want to do is go back to the hacking parts If they had more faith in their own concept it could be an awesome game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://www.gamestop.co.uk/WatchDogsTrade

Anyone know if gamestop here are doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

cloud493 wrote: »
    http://www.gamestop.co.uk/WatchDogsTrade

Anyone know if gamestop here are doing this?

Don't think so, but i know xtra vision are doing trade 2 games and get it for a fiver
    http://www.xtra-vision.ie/watch-dogs

humanji wrote: »
    The problem that I feel with it is that they felt the need to shoehorn the GTA style car play into it. It comes across as filler and is annoying when all you want to do is go back to the hacking parts If they had more faith in their own concept it could be an awesome game.

but if you could not enter/drive the cars at all people would go ape****
    and say thats stupid its better to have it than not have it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How do you know untill you play it one's man's dissapoinment is anothermans great game case in point wolfeinstein loads of people right up to the days it was coming out was complaining about it.

I would rather a great game to play with load of things to do with average visuals compaired to a great visual with a crap game. Yes in an ideal world I would love both.

Also if you are to shoehorn a game and expect it to be the same as another you are allways going to be dissapointed and you will have people complaining if they are 2 similar. I have not read any reviews a bit from one poster here who says he played a bit of the game. I am waiting until it comes and see how it is myself.

gizmo wrote: »
    Off the top of my head there's The Evil Within, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Alien: Isolation, Batman: Arkham Knight, Shadow of Mordor, Evolve and The Order: 1886.

As well as "smaller" titles like Wasteland 2, Tales from the Borderlands, Hotline Miami 2, Rime and The Witness. All of which could be excellent despite not being "big" releases.

Thank you. I wasn't being smart but I wasn't too sure what to look forward too. Batman AK, Evil Within & Hotline Miami 2 would be on my radar but that's about it.

biggebruv wrote: »
    but if you could not enter/drive the cars at all people would go ape****
    and say thats stupid its better to have it than not have it at all.
    I don't mean they should have cut it out completely, they simply shouldn't have decided the have so much of the game based around it. Think of the likes of LA Noire, where they had an open city, but the game concentrated on the investigation mechanics and didn't force you to constantly be in car chases or car related mission. The car sections of that game fit it more eloquently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Didn't this game start out as a driving game and Ubi turned it into what is today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Didn't this game start out as a driving game and Ubi turned it into what is today?
    Are you thinking of The Crew? :confused:

Driving wasn't the focus in the original E3 reveal. There was obviously going to be driving in it, but they were focusing on the hacking being the star of the show.

How do you know untill you play it one's man's dissapoinment is anothermans great game case in point wolfeinstein loads of people right up to the days it was coming out was complaining about it.

I would rather a great game to play with load of things to do with average visuals compaired to a great visual with a crap game. Yes in an ideal world I would love both.

Also if you are to shoehorn a game and expect it to be the same as another you are allways going to be dissapointed and you will have people complaining if they are 2 similar. I have not read any reviews a bit from one poster here who says he played a bit of the game. I am waiting until it comes and see how it is myself.
    Driving should be considered a critical aspect of mechanics for a game of this type. Especially if 90% of the levels demand it. It's such a shame.

In comparison; where GTA IV got it all wrong, GTA V got it all right. It was a pure joy to drive anywhere on the map.

It's clear as day I dont need a review to tell me that the above has happened; I have been given enough feedback from people all ready playing it that the driving mechanics are ****e. Driving is obviously an integral part of the games mechanics and contributes hugely to the game play of what I have watched and been told about. If you get that underwhelming feeling every time you jump into a car that's its a choir to get from A to B then that saps half the fun out of it.

GTA was always going to be comparably so at the very least I expected the driving mechanics to try and get as close as it could to that standard but it's miles off the pace.

It's saving grace now is to ensure that the actual shooting / hacking mechanics are of a very high standard which I would hope are and that there is enough variation in the mission structure.

Also what GTA V did very well is that it had fun & varied missions. Something it lost completly in GTA IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The engine was built for a driving game

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/18/ubisoft-watch-dogs-engine-was-originally-built-for-driver
    Detoc told IGN. “They were working on a driving engine, working on something. We had the Driver license. This was years ago. Then we were thinking, ‘no, this is not the way we want to go with a driving game,’ so we cancelled that and restarted. It’s not like Watch Dogs started as Watch Dogs. The Watch Dogs project was initially another game. At some point it changed. That’s at least three years ago, and then the Watch Dogs project reused some of the work that had been done on this driving engine.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Considering it started off as a Driver style game, and Reflections have a part in development I'm a little disappointed that driving isn't great. I'm not much of a fan of GTAs driving, especially when compared to the likes of Driver San Francisco. Still looking forward to this game though.

it seems no matter what no game can escape heavy criticism these days

gtav was subjected to it alot aswell I had a blast playing that

GTAV

police are crap too strong
    map is crap
    side missions are boring
    no interiors
    alot of wasted space
    people say GTAV looks too good for the type of game it is and should have more content instead of all that wasted space in the mountains and water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

For those of you with "friends" who got the game early...

Watch Dogs torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers

satchmo wrote: »

Watch Dogs torrent secretly installing a Bitcoin miner on thousands of computers

I think it was only one torrent file

not all the PC torrent versions are infected

ill say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

satchmo wrote: »

That's pretty clever. It would be even better if it was mining for Ubisoft. :pac:

That's pretty clever. It would be even better if it was mining for Ubisoft. :pac:

would not be suprised if UBI did upload a copy :D

id say its put a good few people off DLing it anyways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Kudros wrote: »
    I found the below on another forum and totally agree with it from what I've played of it.

"It's really easy to earn money just by hacking people as you walk around, then going to one of the plentiful ATM machines to draw out the cash that it makes some of the side-quests almost pointless unless you earn a Skill point from it. If you only get $3,000 for driving a car from A to B while avoiding the police, which takes a few minutes, but you can earn $10,000+ in that same time just walking around hacking then what's the point?

I have accumulated so much cash (on Normal/Medium difficulty), some $150,000, that I have nothing else to spend it on. I have all the guns, all the cars (that I've unlocked) and all the outfits and there doesn't seem to be anything else to spend it on. All the shops sell the same items so there's no reason to go to different shops either like, say, in GTA V. Also finding hidden bags of money that contain $400 at most is laughable when you can get more than that from a minutes worth of hacking."

Wait, so all that poster wanted to do was get as much wealth built up as quickly as possible and buy the various guns, gear, vehicles etc, and they did this to such an extent that they skipped the actual missions? They asked what was the point of doing the side missions, but I'd turn that question around and ask them what was the point in NOT doing the side missions? You know, in actually *playing* the game? I don't understand people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

If anyone has a pre order for the PC version that they don't want, let me know.

Yeah, but that was for a different game, though. They did heavily modify the engine when they decided on the current concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Not sure if this has been posted yet, the first half an hour.

Advertisement