Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

C14N wrote: »
    But if you had done that then you would have been encouraged to see it :confused:

Really? That got good reviews?
    Just from a quick IMDB check it's clear to see there is zero plot to it.

folan wrote: »
    you were hoping for the older type, rubber suit show with no storyline?

I was hoping for a plot to go with it, nobody was holding a gun to their heads, telling them they can't be a bit creative...
    It's off topic anyway.

Benzino wrote: »
    One of the main criticisms gamers have of the likes of EA and Activision is their lack of new IP and their over-reliance on sequels. And yet when we do get a new IP, this is what happens.

I really don't think people understand how difficult it is to make these open-world type of games. The comparisons to GTA are fair enough since they are similar games, but GTA V was in development for over 4 years with a development staff of 1,000, was built off an engine that was designed for these games (see GTA IV and RDR) and was the most expensive game ever made at the time.

Sure, you can expect it to be as good as GTA, but the reality is it was never going to be, very few game companies can compete with Rockstar and GTA.

Watch dogs is in development since 2008 with a development staff of over 600.
    The game was built on an engine that was created for a car game. I expected a High level of quality from the driving mechanic which your not getting even close to gta. Hell saints rows 2 car physics and driving is better than what I have seen.

Ubisoft has an article on there own website stating why watch dogs is truelly next gen. I'm sorry but just no Ubisoft it is clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

the driving in it is horrible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The game was built on an engine that was created for a car game. I expected a High level of quality from the driving mechanic which your not getting even close to gta. Hell saints rows 2 car physics and driving is better than what I have seen.

Ubisoft has an article on there own website stating why watch dogs is truelly next gen. I'm sorry but just no Ubisoft it is clearly not.

You haven't played the game. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

C14N wrote: »
    That's a pretty serious allegation to make against the 40 different critics who make up the number. Do you have evidence to support it or did you just decide it yourself? And how does this tie in with the idea of a review embargo to stop the bad reviews?

The fact that they follow a review embargo like good little boys so they'll get invited to next years hyped PR game event.

It's obvious that it's getting very difficult to find genuine reviews these days that don't have some form of padding that keeps them just about in the good books with the game publisher.

The gaming media and game publishers relationships/how they conduct business needs to be reformed or have some form of regulation. There is millions of dollars at stake. We should be getting honest reviews 3-4 weeks before a title comes out. The quality of games would really improve if this was the case.

As for the game it's just average and will make a decent buy down the line when it's reduced in price. A bit of a poor mans GTA. It's a shame they couldn't use Rockstars engine to build it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The fact that they follow a review embargo like good little boys so they'll get invited to next years hyped PR game event.

It's obvious that it's getting very difficult to find genuine reviews these days that don't have some form of padding that keeps them just about in the good books with the game publisher.

The gaming media and game publishers relationships/how they conduct business needs to be reformed or have some form of regulation. There is millions of dollars at stake. We should be getting honest reviews 3-4 weeks before a title comes out. The quality of games would really improve if this was the case.

As for the game it's just average and will make a decent buy down the line when it's reduced in price. A bit of a poor mans GTA. It's a shame they couldn't use Rockstars engine to build it.

Regards the embargo though its a catch 22 for reviewers credible or not, if they break the embargo they will not get review copies which means they won't be able to review until release then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

One of the main criticisms gamers have of the likes of EA and Activision is their lack of new IP and their over-reliance on sequels. And yet when we do get a new IP, this is what happens.

I really don't think people understand how difficult it is to make these open-world type of games. The comparisons to GTA are fair enough since they are similar games, but GTA V was in development for over 4 years with a development staff of 1,000, was built off an engine that was designed for these games (see GTA IV and RDR) and was the most expensive game ever made at the time.

Sure, you can expect it to be as good as GTA, but the reality is it was never going to be, very few game companies can compete with Rockstar and GTA.
    While I certainly agree with the above, you also have to realise that it means very little to the person who has just forked over the €70 Gamestop and the like were asking for.

That being said, on the subject of new IP, I think the responses here and elsewhere on the net are indicative of the problem publishers are faced with. Watch_Dogs seems to be reviewing alright, not spectacularly, but hovering around the 80 mark is far from average. However, for a number of reasons, people have no resigned it to the bargain bin or a second hand sale. Meanwhile the AC series continues to sell massive numbers despite having some iffy entries in the series. Is it any wonder the likes of Ubi will be reluctant to pump money into a new IP and when they do, they feel the need to throw as much money at the marketing department as they do at the dev team?
    Actually you'll find that most publications will welcome a review embargo in general as it means they won't be beaten to the punch by a competitor who has decided to rush their review or paid for an exclusive.

A launch day embargo is a different thing entirely obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So for the people who have the game, I assume those not complaining about reviews, how does it hold up gameplay wise and is the graphics downgrade noticeable, also is there any semblance of a good story to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

calex71 wrote: »
    Regards the embargo though its a catch 22 for reviewers credible or not, if they break the embargo they will not get review copies which means they won't be able to review until release then anyway.

That's what I mean. That should be highly illegal. Millions of dollars of consumer money on the line. It's becoming an alarming trend. If that continues you can bet games will get more **** rather than better.

The only way it can be sorted is if people vote with their €.

With the amount of money in the gaming media they should really have an alliance that can ensure they get X, Y and Z from the publishers.

Watch Dogs won't be hacking my wallet anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I have given my reasons why multiple times on this thread if you want to read them. Nothing strange about it. Its a decision I'm making not to squander 70 on an product that didn't meet its expectations. Nothing stopping anybody else buying it.

Its Metacritic is 82. What score 'should' it have been to have met expectations?

You haven't played the game. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

No your ignoring posts or part of my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Pretty sure work began in 2009, not 2008. 600 is still almost half the development team of GTA and is very unlikely to have near the budget GTA does.

A car game and an open-world sandbox are 2 different beasts entirely. GTA had an engine and 2 games which that supported an open-world environment (one set in a city, another in the west), with AI, physics, driving, shooting, cover-system etc all already implemented. Yet it still took them 4 years to create GTA V. Watch_Dogs had the same development time but with almost half the people, less money, more platforms to develop for (they also working on a Wii U version) and had to build everything from scratch almost.

I can't comment on the driving as the game is still downloading for me. If it's bad then that's a fair criticism. The game still doesn't deserve the hate it is getting.

:confused: And? It's marketing to help sell the game. What do you expect them to say? "It's actually not next-gen but instead a poor man's GTA".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads save your money tbh this game looks pants...

But heres a bargain for you... www.zavvi.com

Have rayman legends for xbox one for 19.99 euro #bargainbuycomparedtowatchdogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Getting better scores then I imagined, Polygon rates it as better then the Last of Us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Its Metacritic is 82. What score 'should' it have been to have met expectations?

What? He's saying it has not met his expectations. A number on metacritic won't change that. Because all it is, is a number from s person who has played it. And it has not made my expectations either, its an ok game from what I played but certainly not worth more then 50e imo.Il most likely trade eh in as soon as I finish eh to get some money back

Pretty sure work began in 2009, not 2008. 600 is still almost half the development team of GTA and is very unlikely to have near the budget GTA does.

A car game and an open-world sandbox are 2 different beasts entirely. GTA had an engine and 2 games which that supported an open-world environment (one set in a city, another in the west), with AI, physics, driving, shooting, cover-system etc all already implemented. Yet it still took them 4 years to create GTA V. Watch_Dogs had the same development time but with almost half the people, less money, more platforms to develop for (they also working on a Wii U version) and had to build everything from scratch almost.

I can't comment on the driving as the game is still downloading for me. If it's bad then that's a fair criticism. The game still doesn't deserve the hate it is getting.

:confused: And? It's marketing to help sell the game. What do you expect them to say? "It's actually not next-gen but instead a poor man's GTA".
    ah here they had 5 or 6 years... and you are saying gta5 had twice the team and a bigger budget yes but why is watch dogs 65-70 euro then if they wanna provide a mediocre game dont charge the consumer more than what rockstar xharged for gta..

jaysus lads why so defensive about a game we are all consumers we all want good value

It hasn't met my expectations. Why is it such an issue for some posters to understand. Again stated in all my other posts I'm not willing to spend 70 on it. Enough of opinions from my freinds and the critics to give me correct guidance. Because it sounds like if you don't take the risk and buy the game and play it for yourself then you have no idea what your talking about. I will let other people and journalists take that risk for me and have no issue waiting until its 20 euros to give it a go on a dull weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

70 euros is a lot for any game in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It hasn't met my expectations. Why is it such an issue for some posters to understand. Again stated in all my other posts I'm not willing to spend 70 on it. Enough of opinions from my freinds and the critics to give me correct guidance. Because it sounds like if you don't take the risk and buy the game and play it for yourself then you have no idea what your talking about. I will let other people and journalists take that risk for me and have no issue waiting until its 20 euros to give it a go on a dull weekend.

You'll be waiting awhile for it to reach €20. It's not €70 either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This game really has the angriest, strangest backlash I've seen for a while. On some forums people who haven't played it seem genuinely angry that it's receiving good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ah here they had 5 or 6 years... and you are saying gta5 had twice the team and a bigger budget yes but why is watch dogs 65-70 euro then if they wanna provide a mediocre game dont charge the consumer more than what rockstar xharged for gta..

Because GTAV was far more likely to make their money back in sales and make a huge profit. It was one of the most anticipated game releases ever. A new franchise like Watch Dogs, with the effort and money they're putting into marketing, special editions etc, it's largely because they are not as safe. Yes, they spent less than Rockstar did, and they had a smaller team, but it's also a game which won't appeal to as many people. it's a game which will never have the sales or profits of GTAV. For Ubisoft to make a profit, there's no way they could sell it for €50-60. If anything, that's a huge warning sign to any consumer that it's not a top game.

Comparing graphics/gameplay/driving with GTAV, that I can understand. Comparing price/budget/sales etc with GTAV is comparing apples and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

jaysus lads why so defensive about a game we are all consumers we all want good value

They had 5 years. Most next-gen games are 65-70 in bricks and mortar. It's a ridiculous price and I haven't payed that for any next-gen game, you can get them cheaper if you look around. The PS3 version is the same price as GTAV :confused:

The same can be said about why there is so much hate. Somebody said it looked like GTA 3 on the PS2 ffs..

Yes its terrible marketing lies that get consumers to get dupped into squandering 70 euros. Exactly my point.

No I'm 100% sure it started in 2008 pulled from source. Check Google. Six hundred is still a very large group of developers. Have a count of how many devs in Naughty Dog dev team for last of us. Numbers mean nothing when its quality that should be the key.

Nobody is hating on it. Speaking with there wallets isn't hating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

NORTH1 wrote: »
    I avoid the main stream ign and others. Seek out the the small reviewer, youtube commentator. I feel you get a more honest review. But to be fair this was coming down the line. Most of us are honest enough with ourselves to realise our fears.

Okay fair enough. Just curious what mediocre reviews have you viewed that you trust?

RasTa wrote: »
    You'll be waiting awhile for it to reach €20. It's not €70 either

Cool then 30 euro. Happy? Or il take on lone from someone else. No issue. Patience is a great thing to have.

I dont understand some people defending a game that clearly isnt up to the hype that followed it. People that have raised concerns have been burnt before with bf4 and few other muck titles

Just had a quick blast of it on PS4 there, first impressions aren't great, barring the fps you wouldn't think it much better than a PS3 game.
    The driving is bad, really bad and I've knocked a couple of cop cars into head on collisions and they seemed to just go through the oncoming car, barely slowing them down at all.
    Basically, most of the stuff we've been hearing about is spot on but if the storyline is good enough I'll live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Watch Dogs: the Digital Foundry verdict

Watch Dogs meets most of our expectations of a next-gen title, but falls a little short on others. It's clear that the six-month delay has resulted in a significantly more polished title, but some parts of the visual presentation are still stronger than others. Night-time lighting counts as a huge high point, for example, delivering on the early promises made in its rain-soaked E3 2012 showcase. In concert with the Havok physics used for cloth simulation, ragdoll impacts and water, the world not only looks, but reacts in a way we hope future titles will expand upon.

But it's often the case that the game carries the distinct air of the 2013 launch window title it was originally meant to be. Technical aspects such as the weak texture filtering, pop-in and dithered shadows stand out in the face of an impressively constructed Chicago cityscape. Seamless online play adds an exciting dimension to the sandbox formula too, though not necessarily a brand new idea to the console scene itself; players are able to invade one another, complete missions in co-op, or compete in races. That said, the improved hardware makes delivery of this idea more tenable, where getting any frame-rate drop below the 30fps line in solo play requires some heavy stress-testing. The overall impression is that gameplay and frame-rate consistency are strong, on the tested PS4 version at least.

Does Watch Dogs truly deliver on the promise of its initial E3 2012 reveal? The short answer is yes. Cutting away the obviously pre-rendered CG inserts at E3 2012 leaves a slice of gameplay that is indeed a close match for the final game. In fact, the finished game comes out of the comparison very favourably, because that original demo only represented a tiny fraction of the overall offering; Watch Dogs as it ships is an ambitious project with a massive cityscape to explore and a vast array of tasks to carry out. The only downside is that, on a conceptual level, this still feels like a game that takes the template established by the last-gen Grand Theft Auto titles and merely embellishes it - often dramatically - as opposed to completely reinventing the genre in the way that many might have hoped. Whether it's the true next-gen experience you wanted is down your expectations, then, but on a technical level we do not feel duped by the original reveal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just had a quick blast of it on PS4 there, first impressions aren't great, barring the fps you wouldn't think it much better than a PS3 game.
    The driving is bad, really bad and I've knocked a couple of cop cars into head on collisions and they seemed to just go through the oncoming car, barely slowing them down at all.
    Basically, most of the stuff we've been hearing about is spot on but if the storyline is good enough I'll live with it.

Heard the driving part of it is terrible alright. Such a crucial part of an open world game to mess up.

Advertisement