Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Poor mans GTA - we have heard it quite a bit.

The game is trying so hard to be GTA so a comparison is inevitable. There seem to be many people covering up and making excuses for the games short comings.

I am sure it's a good game but it's another below par delivery for a next gen game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The game is trying so hard to be GTA so a comparison is inevitable. There seem to be many people covering up and making excuses for the games short comings.

I am sure it's a good game but it's another below par delivery for a next gen game.
    I'm curious as to how you think it's trying to be GTA. I mean, it's an open world game set in urban surroundings with a core storyline, myriad of side missions, requisite driving mechanics, car stealing, crowd interaction, etc... But does that in itself mean it's trying to be GTA?

As for whether it's a next-gen game, surely the fact that it's a cross generation title means that it can't really be a next-gen title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Its an enjoyable enough game to piss about on, the hacking does make for some fun getaways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The phrase "Poor man's GTA" is becoming a very tired cliché in this thread. I haven't played it yet, but aside from being a sandbox, what does this in particular have that makes it "trying so hard to be GTA"? Looks to me like the plot and characters are completely different and the hacking being an integral part of the game is unlike anything in GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The graphics are excellent... you have a non argument.

I was very anti this game yesterday but its very crisp an excellent game to fill a big summer gaming gap

Its not my argument. This is what its getting flak in the gaming media about. I havent got it yet so havent seen for myself.
    The demo presented should not look better than the end product. They created their own problem there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Apparently it has a better feel and real world aspect to the city then GTA which sounds interesting.

Looking forward to playing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

C14N wrote: »
    The phrase "Poor man's GTA" is becoming a very tired cliché in this thread. I haven't played it yet, but aside from being a sandbox, what does this in particular have that makes it "trying so hard to be GTA"? Looks to me like the plot and characters are completely different and the hacking being an integral part of the game is unlike anything in GTA.

Indeed. These strawman arguments need to be blasted with piss because WatchDogs is not a 'poor man's GTA'. To say it has a cool story, bro is as cliché as any 'yore ma' joke. What really needs to be addressed is whether or not it runs at 1080p and 60fps, which it doesn't. Now let's all build a bridge and discuss the merits of the game, not the industry.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Have you played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

RasTa wrote: »
    Apparently it has a better feel and real world aspect to the city then GTA

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really enjoying it at the moment. Dash cam driving feels better but harder to see hack items. I wish cars wouldn't accelerate like a rocket, very hard to creep around in the car. It's definitely not a 'Next Gen' game. I think the 1st true next gen game I play will be EA UFC.

I'm not a fan of the Christian Bale Batman voice. I'm very early in it but good laugh so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I was going to buy the game this time last week but now I'm glad I didn't.

in about 12 hours of gameplay that hasn't happened to me once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wrong.

Care to expand? The people and shops, walking around in GTA was pretty boring and bland. Looking forward to seeing how they interact in Watch Dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Game delivered to my Parcel Motel today.

Roll on this evening so I can get a chance to play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Its not my argument. This is what its getting flak in the gaming media about. I havent got it yet so havent seen for myself.
    The demo presented should not look better than the end product. They created their own problem there.

A really good point. Game developers seem to be over promising and under-delivering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

if anyone has the companion app please add me mrbrocky.

seems quite fun annoying my mates in game while in work is fun :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Care to expand? The people and shops, walking around in GTA was pretty boring and bland. Looking forward to seeing how they interact in Watch Dogs

The city in lifeless is watch dogs. It felt at least a little organic in gta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I would say that as a new IP this game is somewhere in between GTA 5 and San Andreas.

Its MUCH easier to go on killing sprees un Watch Dogs because when you commit crime you see the witness calling cops and pop em head, course that sets off bit of a witness chain reaction :)

Online co-op needs alot of content as its currently like free roam, kill other players and run from cops.

The fact I can pop into a random players single player game and have up to 5 mins to follow them and pick the most opportune time to hack em is epic.

I got trolled goodo when I was smack bang in the middle of a big cop chase and suddenly started getting hacked, caused no end of hassle for me :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

COYVB wrote: »
    The city in lifeless is watch dogs. It felt at least a little organic in gta

Like in assain creed games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I really enjoyed GTAV, but one of the biggest disappointments for me was that the city didn't really feel alive. It was pretty much the same as what had come before, very little happened that would make you stop and look around and just feel immersed in a living place. I had hoped Watch Dogs would be different, it'll be a while before I get to form my own opinion though, must finish Mass Effect 3 first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hmmmmmm

T3leCeT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Woah! You are right! What is that guy doing? Is he pointing a gun at himself? Fantastic game full of so many random events! :pac:

308799.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

miju wrote: »
    The fact I can pop into a random players single player game and have up to 5 mins to follow them and pick the most opportune time to hack em is epic.

I got trolled goodo when I was smack bang in the middle of a big cop chase and suddenly started getting hacked, caused no end of hassle for me :)
    How does this mechanic actually work though?

How are games to jump into selected? Can i just jump in and stalk you forever? Can i rob a police car and pretend I'm a copper?

This was the 1 thing that intrigued me about it and i had feared it turned out to be BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

€74.99 in gamestop WTF....although you can trade in a stuff and get 50% extra off for this week only. Mad prices though

Next Gen windows reflection for the fail :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Like in assain creed games?

Similar enough, but far less populated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Next Gen windows reflection for the fail :pac:

It's not Next Gen though, it's cross gen. :p

It's not Next Gen though, it's cross gen. :p

Oh sorry the demo was next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Wrong.

Weren't you the guy who said it looked like GTA 3 on the PS2? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

New games seem to follow a pretty predictable process these days:

1. Show a demo of the new game with the greatest graphics to grace the planet.
    2. Delay the game to raise 'anticipation and hype'.
    3. Allow pre-orders to be taken which give you a special item such as a new jumper or hat.
    4. Game releases, people realise the demo was actually shown on a €100000 super-computer.
    5. Day one patch to fix bugs.
    6. DLC packs costing €50+ get released.

Advertisement