Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

New games seem to follow a pretty predictable process these days:

1. Show a demo of the new game with the greatest graphics to grace the planet.
    2. Delay the game to raise 'anticipation and hype'.
    3. Allow pre-orders to be taken which give you a special item such as a new jumper or hat.
    4. Game releases, people realise the demo was actually shown on a €100000 super-computer with 64GB of super ram.
    5. Day one patch to fix bugs.
    6. DLC packs costing €50+ get released.

Gaming companies are businesses. They like to make money. These are just some of the tools they use to achieve that objective. This is what I imagine happens at an EA boardroom meeting:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

New games seem to follow a pretty predictable process these days:

1. Show a demo of the new game with the greatest graphics to grace the planet.
    2. Delay the game to raise 'anticipation and hype'.
    3. Allow pre-orders to be taken which give you a special item such as a new jumper or hat.
    4. Game releases, people realise the demo was actually shown on a €100000 super-computer.
    5. Day one patch to fix bugs.
    6. DLC packs costing €50+ get released.

That's only when they're not following the other process:

1. Launch Kickstarter or some other crowdfunding campaign, showing very early video / concept art for an interesting idea.
    2. Raise enough money that motivation to actually complete the project diminishes.
    3. Release a rough alpha build to backers.
    4. Release the same build to the open market, at full price, as "early access" or similar.
    5. Release periodic updates, with ever widening gaps, that fail to introduce the key pieces of content which originally made the idea unique.
    6. Introduce micro-transactions.
    7. Fail to ever reach viable beta stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

recyclops wrote: »
    I made pretty much the exact same order but mine arrived last night :confused::confused::confused:

Yeah even though it was dispatched on Saturday and there was the bank holiday it only takes a day for a package to get from Amazon to Parcel Motel in Antrim. I'm in no rush to play the game but still it shouldn't take this long .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

This game may not look beautiful, but its damn good fun I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone know the wait time for orders from video game plus? My copy shipped late Monday night. Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone know the wait time for orders from video game plus? My copy shipped late Monday night. Looking forward to it!

About 2wks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

COYVB wrote: »
    The city in lifeless is watch dogs. It felt at least a little organic in gta

That's what I was afraid of,would anyone else agree with coyvb above point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

any chance this might be modable in the same way gta IV has been? Im presuming the E3 demo was done on the same engine, so the potential is in there perhaps..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

That's what I was afraid of,would anyone else agree with coyvb above point?

Not for me anyway. I find the city pretty interesting. Have only played a few hours but there's been plenty of random things happening. Profiling people to reveal random crimes and things like that makes the city feel like it has enough life to me. Moreso that Infamous Second Son which is the last open world game I played definitely. I loved Infamous though despite that. Really enjoying Watch Dogs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

got the game for 22 euro in smyths for the ps4

traded in Kilzone and Battlefield 4 and got 43 euro for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

PTH2009 wrote: »
    got the game for 22 euro in smyths for the ps4

traded in Kilzone and Battlefield 4 and got 43 euro for them

Got it for €63 in Argos and got a free €10 voucher. Should have been €5 for spending over €50 but they gave me €10, the guy at the till was surprised it printed out €10 worth not €5....but hey, nice little bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

This made me laugh. :D
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/watch-dogs-gamer-spots-facepalmingly-obvious-bug-with-police-evasion-9438656.html

I'm not a WatchDogs hater! Getting it on Friday. Really looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As a casual gamer and someone who has only played Fifa since I got my PS4 I purchased this as it was the first game since launch that interested me.

After about 2 hours gameplay my initial thoughts are its pretty good like GTA but has its own features and if you only compare to GTA you aren't giving it a fair shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Motorbikes is really the best way to get around I'm finding , best balance of speed and handling in anything I've found so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ripperman wrote: »
    This made me laugh. :D
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/watch-dogs-gamer-spots-facepalmingly-obvious-bug-with-police-evasion-9438656.html

I'm not a WatchDogs hater! Getting it on Friday. Really looking forward to it now.

I worry for the standard of gamers these days it took me all of two minutes if gameplay to discover this. But with the chipper hammering sniper fire at you in the water its not all gravy as you have a fiery death or a LOOOOOONG swim back to shore

Taylor365 wrote: »
    How does this mechanic actually work though?

How are games to jump into selected? Can i just jump in and stalk you forever? Can i rob a police car and pretend I'm a copper?

This was the 1 thing that intrigued me about it and i had feared it turned out to be BS.

basically i go to my in game phone app and search for online hacking and it randomly puts me into a persons game without them knowing.

ive then got up to 5 minutes to initiate a hack on them which i can start at anytime once in their vicinity. Before I start the hack i can hide and do anything like in single player.

once i start hack, its only then the victims knows they are not alone and the player in hacking has 2 mins to find me. If they find me they have to kill me and I have to get away. If they dont find me i get cash xp etc. Once the hack event is over in pit back to single player but its INCREDIBLY seem less with zero loading time.

actually makes for quite tense random moments when your the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

miju wrote: »
    I worry for the standard of gamers these days it took me all of two minutes if gameplay to discover this.

65-wat.jpg

Its not a bad thing either it gives you an easier escape route for those in between mission incidents when you really couldn't be arsed having to deal with cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

My copy shipped last Thursday and I'm still waiting too, 3 days to 2 weeks is the eta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Would of been happier if I just rented this game.it is Not the worst game. It's just not as innovative as I thought it was going to be. they played it safe. some room full if suits looking at statistics and bar charts decided on what ideas to implement. Let's not take any risks here.

This game was pushed back over half a year. Dread to think what the game was like on the original release.

This game was to launch a new ip, that was going to kick GTA in the nads. It failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My copy shipped last Thursday and I'm still waiting too, 3 days to 2 weeks is the eta

You will get it on the 2nd or 3rd of June, nearly always 12-14 days now for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

just got invaded for the first time it was really cool lol little sh!t I caught him anyways haha

im getting alot more used to the driving style now were its actually not an issue anymore

police chases are a laugh at least theres not poping up right in front of you like in GTAV so far anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How do I use the app to get into a friends game? I only see a quick match option that puts you in with a random player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

Delighted with the game.

Playing on Ps4, graphics are excellent, story interesting and so much happening in the game all of the time.

The handling of the vehicles is better than expected, had a lot of fun zooming through underground garages and then flying over lifting bridges!

The hacking makes the game different from anything else that I've played, stealing funds, listening to conversations that you shouldn't be etc!

If your thinking about getting the game just buy it.

8.5 out of 10 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Only downside so far is the music, only 2 or so songs I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Anyone notice you have an mp3 player and can play the music while walking about? I only found it out by accident :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Anyone notice you have an mp3 player and can play the music while walking about? I only found it out by accident :pac:

You can also hack more choons off of the city folks :pac:

When I see the little bits of information pop up about the civilians walking around I can only think of this:

tumblr_loh0bjOB2W1qztjn5o1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Enjoying the game I have to say. Have done some of the story and am unlocking the towers in the loop region ans mad mile, happy out. Feels like there is loads going on, so just concentrating on bits at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

I spent the evening playing about 4 hours campaign/ messing hour or so dabbling in online which already while being hard is quite fun and rewarding.

A lot more fun than expected after reading here for the last week. All in all I'm surprised and happy with purchase.

Advertisement