Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Dogs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

How many easily amused people are planning on picking this up?
    I only ask because I know I will probably spend the first 15 minutes or so, just causing pile ups at junctions.

I'll spend the first 15 minutes robbing bank accounts and beating the victims to death with my fetish baton :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Looking forward to this, not all that bothered about the decline in visuals since the E3 trailer, I'm playing on 360 anyway. Seems like an interesting world to explore and I like the idea of everything around you being connected/controllable through a digital network. If I find the driving mechanics a lot more satisfying than GTAV (its only major flaw in my eyes) then I'll be happy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'll spend the first 15 minutes robbing bank accounts and beating the victims to death with my fetish baton :D

You dirty fecker! :pac:
    Maye83 wrote: »
    If I find the driving mechanics a lot more satisfying than GTAV (its only major flaw in my eyes) then I'll be happy indeed.

It will probably be similar as they will want people to have fun and be immersed, rather than spending the first few hours trying to get the driving mechanics down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Trailer was class, very like the gta v welcome to los santos one. I thought the driving in gta v was perfect, will be very happy if its like that.

Gonna spend most of my time hacking peoples laptop webcams and watching them make toast.

Honestly I couldn't care less if the graphics aren't as polished as the original video. Gameplay is what matters and I'd much prefer a great game that looked okay overa great looking game with mediocre gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Have you seen the other threads elsewhere on this forum, comparing the graphics with what was shown at E3?

I'm wondering if I should get it for PS4 or PC. I don't own a PS4, I can't see myself using it much!

Maybe I'd get some Metal Gear Solid Games.. it'd be great if GTA played on it, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The delay is a good thing, means I'll have a PS4 to play it on when it's out!
    It's promising, to be honest, that they have delayed it to get the gameplay right, and we should demand more of this approach, rather being quasi-beta testers for unfinished games, unpaid but bug hunting for the publishers who have to stick to their annual release schedule and never let a little thing like a broken game get in the way of making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

To fair there is nearly always a graphical drop from marketing videos to the actual game. Happening for most of the GTAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Game looks horrible compared to the E3 version, I might pick it up for €10 if it gets a decent graphics mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Looks like a completely different game compared to the E3 trailer. Gta5 looks better to be honest.Cars look terrible, jagged edges and low res textures on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Hate the way people swallow the 'it was running on a playstation/xbox at the demo' garbage. Demonstrations are never run on consoles.

Graphics have been brought back to earth for consoles.

PC will have mods to bring it back to life i reckon.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Taylor365 wrote: »

So you reckon PC have the best graphics, for that game?
    Is that what you'd buy it for, the PC?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Hate the way people swallow the 'it was running on a playstation/xbox at the demo' garbage. Demonstrations are never run on consoles.

Graphics have been brought back to earth for consoles.

Does anyone ever believe that line anymore?
    They've been faking early game footage for donkeys now, pretending it's running at hardware at home when it's really running on a PC
    "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain", as the Wizard once said, hoping his audience remained gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They've been faking early game footage for donkeys now, pretending it's running at hardware at home when it's really running on a PC
    "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain", as the Wizard once said, hoping his audience remained gullible.
    Some people seemed to fall for it for GTAV and its unrealistic draw distance demo :o

I'd love to see a side by side comparison of Skyim run on xbox 360(HD pack, if there is such a thing) and PC (4k textures, ENB, CoT, RLO). Open a game up to modders and possibilities are endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If they explicitly say it's running on console or dev hardware then it's most likely running on that. Whether it's in-game or in-engine or representative of the final release is a different matter entirely however. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

The recommended pc specs look interesting. 8 core processor i7 @3.5GHz and FX8350 @4GHz I take it that's just them covering themselves? I'm sure it will run fine on a FX6300 @4.4GHz especially if mantle is implemented.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kevovek wrote: »
    The recommended pc specs look interesting. 8 core processor i7 @3.5GHz and FX8350 @4GHz I take it that's just them covering themselves? I'm sure it will run fine on a FX6300 @4.4GHz especially if mantle is implemented.

Yeah, seems to be a tendency for some developers to go overboard with the recommended specifications these days. As you say, covers their own backsides I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I really hope I will get away with 4Gb of RAM.

I mean, this is coming out on the PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii U... Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Put this away in Xtravision today for the Xbox One. First game since the console's launch that I've been really looking forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Yup.. safe to say this is last gen stuff, GTAV looks better...

which all means it's going to be a terrible game...

Text is not picking up on my sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

A collection of speculations and plain guess poking. Some of the points being completely stupid.

I need to remind you lads that gta 5 does not look anything like it did in trailers too. A lot of stuff was reduced, details dropped, traffic and pedestrian numbers drastically decreased.

Analysing trailers right now is just useless.

A collection of speculations and plain guess poking. Some of the points being completely stupid.

QUOTE]

I completely agree, these trailers are usually good but 'oh look, an electricity pylon, this means that more than likely you can use this to take down power in the entire city'. Now, maybe you can but there are a lot of leaps in the vid. Some good ones though like the hidden QR code in the environment.

Oh I don't really care about the analysis.. just find it hilarious how people react to trailers is all.

In the case of watch dogs.. graphics don't look as good.. game is ****.

I never thought GTA looked graphically impressive, even in the trailers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GTA5 wasn't as big a drop in visual quality as Watch Dogs seems to be.

I'm not saying it won't be great or that I won't buy it, it's just annoying to see it happen so often. This and Dark Souls 2 are major examples of massive downgrades in visual quality from earlier trailers. Games are supposed to get better looking as they get closer to release, not the other way around.

I honestly don't agree with that.

I think people have completely jumped the gun with Watch Dogs. Has there been a drop.. probably.. does it still look really good. Yes it does.

The difference in Dark Souls is phenomenal.. there are actually game mechanics that were promised and discussed before release that are not even in the game.

I just don't think there has been that much of a drop.

I'm still debating whether to actually buy it but if I do it won't be because it looks "next-gen", it'll be because I think the game will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Kiith wrote: »

I'm not saying it won't be great or that I won't buy it, it's just annoying to see it happen so often. This and Dark Souls 2 are major examples of massive downgrades in visual quality from earlier trailers. Games are supposed to get better looking as they get closer to release, not the other way around.

Agree. Gaming industry was always making bullshots, but it just got out of control lately. Thanks to Colonial Marines gamers started cop on with that ****. The main problem is not the actual "lower" graphics, but Problem is that they lie in trailers and give completely downgraded finished product.
    Dark Souls got away with it, because it is a great game in the first place. The idea of PC version showing up gives it a bit of "safe landing", but problem is that they mentioned only increased FPS and Textures for PC and we can clearly see that the downgrade was a lot more bigger then that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The original trailers that blew everyone away were shown prior to the final builds of the 'next-gen' consoles. I would imagine that UbiSoft (when building Watchdogs) were led to believe that the power of these unannounced consoles was x, y, and z. As such, they built a game reflecting the supposed hardware capabilities of these consoles. However, as the consoles came closer to release and for cost effectiveness their power was reduced substantially, it was then UbiSoft got their hands on the final release specifications and realised what was feasible. This probably explains the extra six months needed for development.

I applaud UbiSoft's initial attempts to make something look truly spectacular and realistic, I hope their vision and ambition doesn't diminish. But, this is a damning indictment on 'next-gen' consoles, and consoles in general. If the PS4 and Xbox One were a more prominent leap forward in technology, perhaps Watchdogs would be the way it was originally shown. Or perhaps UbiSoft shouldn't have bought into all the hype and promises being set out by Microsoft and Sony about consoles that were far from final specification.

Nevertheless, here we are and PC gamers can only hope that the PC version reflects UbiSoft's original vision. I am not a pro-graphics, anti-gameplay vocalist, or vice versa, but the original trailer for Watchdogs had that feeling of a 'leap' forward in gaming. It felt like a game, it looked like a game, and played like a game that was yet to be realised until now. It will probably end up being a great game, getting 8s and 9s, possibly even some 10s from reviewers, but for me, it has lost that little something I enjoyed from the moment it was first revealed. As I said, I can only hope the PC version will look like that original trailer, but cautious optimism is the safest bet right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »

Alas that's not always the case, especially when you're dealing with open world games with a wide variety of systems in different environments. Optimisations can always be made at a late stage but in the end, graphical niceties are always easier to scale back than features or core functionality are to cut. One way to fix all of this is, of course, to not show off your game until it's further along in development but then again, we're dealing with one of the most hyped up games / new IPs in recent memory so there's an argument there that it could be deemed worth it to have shown it off when it did, despite the negative press the title has gotten recently for the supposed "downgrade".
    Agree. Gaming industry was always making bullshots, but it just got out of control lately. Thanks to Colonial Marines gamers started cop on with that ****. The main problem is not the actual "lower" graphics, but Problem is that they lie in trailers and give completely downgraded finished product.
    It hasn't gotten out of control though, there have been three notable instances in the last year where earlier footage of a game was shown to not have been reflective of the finished product. Of those three, Colonial Marines is the only one which is even remotely deserving of the term "lie" for the footage shown, so much so that there's still an on-going class action lawsuit going on in the US over it. Watch_Dogs isn't even out yet so we have no idea if the early footage is more indicative of the PC version or whether the whole thing has taken a hit in their push to be a cross-generation game. Similarly, Dark Souls 2 PC version may yet restore some of the excellent lighting shown in the pre-release footage, in which case it would be more of an indictment of the capabilities of their engine and the last gen of consoles than any form of outright "lie" on their part. I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks, 2 days and 20 hours either way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gizmo wrote: »
    I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks, 2 days and 20 hours either way. :)

*cries*

Advertisement