Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Super Hero

• 05-06-2012 3:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭

Gay Super Hero just went and made the Green Lantern Gay, full story here http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/the-original-green-lantern-is-dcs-new-gay-character

Before anyone in the lbg community has a fit I'm not having a pop at you but i`m a bit confused why they felt the need to turn a comic book hero gay. Its all very strange, could they have not just made up a new super hero. This is really going to confuse some young guys. Who`s next Superman, Batman? I'm all for equal whatever but its all getting a little carried away.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

DC Comics have just went and made the Green Lantern Gay, full story here http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/the-original-green-lantern-is-dcs-new-gay-character

Before anyone in the lbg community has a fit I'm not having a pop at you but i`m a bit confused why they felt the need to turn a comic book hero gay. Its all very strange, could they have not just made up a new super hero. This is really going to confuse some young guys. Who`s next Superman, Batman? I'm all for equal whatever but its all getting a little carried away.

:D

His ring won't be green much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

The green lantern's ring is the most powerful weapon in the universe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

the green lantern is gay now and also he likes men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Brendog wrote: »
    The green lantern's ring is the most powerful weapon in the universe...

And now it's the most FABULOUS!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

If you're worried about a superhero's sexuality maybe you need to get laid yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Gay Super Hero just went and made the Green Lantern Gay, full story here http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/the-original-green-lantern-is-dcs-new-gay-character

So...What was the story with Batman and Robin

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Chucken wrote: »

"Suffering Starfish, Batman - that's a big one!":pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It`ll all be revealed in the new movie "broke bat mountain".

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Why would they bother.. Yeah it'll probably make being gay more acceptable to people etc, but its 2012.. Nobody really cares anymore? plus he's only a bloody superhero.. who gives a sh!t like.

Actually lol at the men that will fling their previously MACHO dolls at the wall mortification when they realise he's gay.:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Has anyone who reads this stuff actually ever been laid, gay or straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

No offence to anyone intended but is Captain Energy from Airtricity not gay ? i would have though his campness alone could qualify him as a gay superhero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's purely a publicity stunt. The character in question does not have his own comic - there has been a different Green Lantern for years - so it's a move that gives DC great PR and generates little risk. There's no particlar comic for people to boycott, for example.

Comics are basically a dying industry - despite the explosions of tablets and the like - but its iconic character have never been so popular because of the superhero dominance of the box office.

This has meant that the only regular comics that tend to sell are those with recognisable characters and minority protagonists - female heros, African-American heros - can't compete. There have been attempts to redress this (the Spider-Man in one series has Black and Hispanic parents, for example) but readers' tastes are very conservative - they'll be happy reading the same old heros.

With that in mind I doubt a gay superhero with his own series will arrive anytime soon, and then I'd also imagine it would have a tiny audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

To be honest I'd never read any comics since the Beano until a few months ago. There's obviously a huge social stigma about a grown man reading a comic on a bus or whatever but the anonymity of reading a few online with an app - plus the tech they use to shift to the next panel - won me over.

Seems a bit weird that The Avengers is on course to be the second-biggest movie of all-time yet someone who wants to read about one of the characters would be a laughing stock, no? Can report that I have still been having "the sex" with the gf since I picked up the new hobby too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I can report that I have both read a comic and engaged in full-sex with a woman.

Also, there's been gay super-heroes in comics before. The Runaways is one example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Obviously we only have Ryan Reynolds to blame for this!

On a serious note: Marvel have some gay characters marrying in an issue coming out soon. It's no big deal- gives kids less reason to be homophobic if they see being gay as a natural thing in their favorite media on a regular basis. It's our media that helps bring about changes in attitude. No harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

It's only been around for 30 years or so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_themes_in_comics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its part a wider reboot, of the companies entire stable of characters. They have changed the others in various ways as well. Some more than others clearly, but I don't really see the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So yellow will now clash with him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

It`ll all be revealed in the new movie "broke bat mountain".

A whole new meaning to the new movie title: 'The dark knight rises'

Im not too surprised, they changed Spidermans ethinicity not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

So what? Retconning is one of the most common plot devices in comics.

First off, characters with any kind of military background like Nick Fury get retconned all the time as their military record becomes more implausible so it changes from WWII to Vietnam to Desert Storm.

Secondly, in the case of the Green Lantern, it's not like there's only been one Green Lantern. It's just a job description rather than a secret identity type superhero. I mean so far we've had Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner and a couple of others. Practically every DC character got retconned at the start of the Silver Age anyway so I really don't see what the big issue is.

Despite your protestations to the contrary it really does seem like its the homosexuality that you've got a problem with. Retconning happens all the time. Bits of a character's history get added to, taken from and altered in lots of different ways. Look at The Killing Joke for example. Reading comics over any significant length of time means you're going to have to adapt to a lot of new stuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I read Viz and the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers AND have a LEGO collection and I get plenty of sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Spot on. It's not even remotely realistic. Whoever heard of someone coming out later on in life.

I reckon Nicholas Cage has gotten a tonne of ass over the years.
    To be honest I'd never read any comics since the Beano until a few months ago. There's obviously a huge social stigma about a grown man reading a comic on a bus or whatever but the anonymity of reading a few online with an app - plus the tech they use to shift to the next panel - won me over.

Seems a bit weird that The Avengers is on course to be the second-biggest movie of all-time yet someone who wants to read about one of the characters would be a laughing stock, no? Can report that I have still been having "the sex" with the gf since I picked up the new hobby too

People also need to consider comics like Maus, Waltz with Bashir, Sandman, even things like Watchmen. Complex story lines and deeper themes that make the majority of Hollywood movie output look like the dreck it really is.

Seriously, if you have never read Maus then do so. It won a Pulitzer Prize for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I don't read the comics but I like a superhero movie once in a while.

The green lantern movie is one of the worst films of all time.
    Possibly only defeated in the crappy superhero movie category by The Shadow.

Was it a movie thing or just a comic thing? Pretty cynical if it was the movie business only risking making their ****est character gay.
    Spot on. It's not even remotely realistic. Whoever heard of someone coming out later on in life.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It would make more sense to me if they had actually just created a new character/superhero, turning them gay just seems a little cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

meh... all super hereos are gay imo, look at there attire for a start, tights and red speedos worn over their trousers ect... i rest my case :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PaganKing

This is a new version of the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott (note: not the current one Hal Jordan, who has his own comic and was the character in the ****ty movie) whose original version's only weakness before the big DC reboot was quite ironically Wood, true story.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Ha - when I was a kid superhero's didn't have a sexuality at all because I was brought up with the angle that everyone is normal and homo's should hide in the closet.

Now that it's acceptable to be a homo it's shoved in our faces which will confuse kids down the line.

I don't walk down o'connel st with my d1ck in a hooker saying to all the pedestrians - Look - LOOK how straight I am but it's now perfectly acceptable for homo's to do this

Jesus christ wept.

mod: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

PaganKing wrote: »
    This is a new version of the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott (note: not the current one Hal Jordan, who has his own comic and was the character in the ****ty movie) whose original version's only weakness before the big DC reboot was quite ironically Wood, true story.

Just to expand on PaganKing's point a bit, the original Green Lantern was a completely different character to the one that people are most familiar with. Different costume, powers and back story. In fact, IIRC, the only time that a connection between Alan Scott and the current Green Lantern was made was in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps.

The new comic featuring Alan Scott is part of the overall reboot of the DC franchise called The New 52. Also the comic in which Scott plays a key role is Earth 2 which is set in a parallel reality so the back story of the original Alan Scott isn't really being changed in that sense.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Ha - when I was a kid superhero's didn't have a sexuality at all because I was brought up with the angle that everyone is normal and homo's should hide in the closet.

Now that it's acceptable to be a homo it's shoved in our faces which will confuse kids down the line.

I don't walk down o'connel st with my d1ck in a hooker saying to all the pedestrians - Look - LOOK how straight I am but it's now perfectly acceptable for homo's to do this

Jesus christ wept.

So basically what you are saying is that if you had been exposed to a gay character in a comic book, tv show or cartoon when you were a kid you would be gay now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Ha - when I was a kid superhero's didn't have a sexuality at all .

I didn't realise people from bizzaro-earth could post across dimensions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

@logical fallacy. He won't be able to answer for a few weeks at least so let's carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

So long as the characters interesting, who cares if he's gay?

I read Ironman because the idea of an alcoholic superhero was interesting, not because he had a Ross & Rachel thing going on with his secretary...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

So basically what you are saying is that if you had been exposed to a gay character in a comic book, tv show or cartoon when you were a kid you would be gay now?

I live in a storm sewer in New York, and survive solely on a diet of pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

the bad guys would have a field day.while there out taking over the world our gay hero would be having random sex with strangers in a toilet somewhere

@logical fallacy. He won't be able to answer for a few weeks at least so let's carry on.

In fairness to him he had a point. I won't tell you it didn't deserve a ban as that would be back seat modding but gay seems to bombarding us, sweet jeebus even super heros aren't safe. I'm just waiting for the news to brake Louis lane is a tranny.

In fairness to him he had a point. I won't tell you it didn't deserve a ban as that would be back seat modding but gay seems to bombarding us, sweet jeebus even super heros aren't safe. I'm just waiting for the news to brake Louis lane is a tranny.

Jimmy Olsen has already been a tranny.

Also, he doesn't have a point. At all. He might have a micro point, which can be obliterated by reversing his argument, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jonsoc33

to be fair everywhere i go men calling each other c unts its getting rediculous. wudnt know if anymore will come out.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Olsen used to transform into different things I don't remember any of them being a dick loving transvestite and if he did it was only briefly to get him out of a jam before Superman arrived.
    I've always had my suspicions about Flash, but come on man, little Jimmy Olsen, never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

With that in mind I doubt a gay superhero with his own series will arrive anytime soon, and then I'd also imagine it would have a tiny audience.

Not a he, but Batwoman has had her own series for nearly a year and it's doing quite well.

And before that, she headlined DC's longest running title (Detective Comics) for nearly a year.. before DC pulled the rug out from under Greg Rucka rassum frassum.... and the back up story during that time was another gay woman - Renee Montoya, aka The Question.

His (and your) point is about 20 years too late. There have been gay characters in comic books since the late 80s. And yet somehow.... the world didn't end. Funny that.

He was only playing dress up, no doubt he was under the influence of some evil feind. Probably had to choose between the Green Lanters magic ring or death by green fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

He was only playing dress up, no doubt he was under the influence of some evil feind. Probably had to choose between the Green Lanters magic ring or death by green fist.

Participating in a thread about super hero comic books having never read Grant Morrison's All Star Superman should result in an automatic ban!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Both are straight - unless you're talking about the Schumacher movies. ;)

Advertisement