Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interviewing nanny?

Options
  • 05-06-2012 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking to start interviewing perspective nannies for when I go back to work... What sort of questions should I be asking? Does Garda vetted mean they would have a letter of clearance from the gardai? What's more important - qualifications or experience!
    And I suppose... How do I trust them?!!!
    This person will be responsible for the best part of my life for 30 hrs a week... If they don't come through a recommendation ( haven't had anyone using someone) then how am I meant to trust them?
    Also what sort of wage do u think I'd be looking at?
    Many thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

dublinlady wrote: »
    So I'm looking to start interviewing perspective nannies for when I go back to work... What sort of questions should I be asking? Does Garda vetted mean they would have a letter of clearance from the gardai? What's more important - qualifications or experience!
    And I suppose... How do I trust them?!!!
    This person will be responsible for the best part of my life for 30 hrs a week... If they don't come through a recommendation ( haven't had anyone using someone) then how am I meant to trust them?
    Also what sort of wage do u think I'd be looking at?
    Many thanks in advance!!!

Garda Vetting just means that they have gotten a letter from the Garda Vetting Office to say they have no prior convictions or cases pending against them. It is only valid for 3 years. In terms of importance I guess it depends on what you value most. Someone with years of experience will be confident, but probably more 'old school' if you know what I mean. Someone good with recent qualifications should be familiar with the latest recommendations, research and guidelines etc.

I would be looking for a minimum of 2/3 character references and previous employers references too. I'd contact them individually just to verify it all.
    Questions such as how would you deal with X situation like the child biting, a family emergency, injury to child and so on. Clarify your expectations and needs to have everything on the table from the get go. If they will be driving with baby I would look for a copy of full drivers licence and maybe a letter from insurance confirming full cover. When it comes to trust I would meet them a few times informally before they meet your child ideally, then introducing them gradually in the home environment. Trust is tough but it will come with time. If they are working in your home you are legally obliged to pay minimum wage - €8.65 plus employer prsi contributions and holidays.

Best of luck finding someone! :)

ETA - A valid first aid cert, preferably paediatric first aid is important too!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

we currently bring our baby to a Childminder and her experience and references from previous families were very important in the decision.
    She charges €40 per day. We bring our child around 3 days per week.

Advertisement